Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a fan of low-profile tires, because of how easy it is to destroy them or your rims if you run over a pothole or hit a curb.

I'm actually leaning heavily towards just getting the P3D- because hell if I'm going to replace the stock tires anyways, I might as well replace a set of Primacy MXM4's instead of a very expensive set of PS4S's.

My current S has the 19" wheels and I've always been happy with them, having hit my share of potholes and never having any issues with trashed rims or blown-own tires afterwards.

Unfortunately wanting to go with the P3D- causes another problem which is currently not solved:
Anyone else waiting on Track Mode to decide P3D- or P3D+?
I'm with you. Seriously thinking about getting the perf+ upgrade, but my experience with thinner profile tires on my old Z4 was not a pleasant experience re ride and rim damage. If I could buy a pair of standard 18 inch aeros and bolt them in for winter I think I would upgrade. From what I am reading on this thread though, that is far from being a sure thing.

I'm with you. Seriously thinking about getting the perf+ upgrade, but my experience with thinner profile tires on my old Z4 was not a pleasant experience re ride and rim damage. If I could buy a pair of standard 18 inch aeros and bolt them in for winter I think I would upgrade. From what I am reading on this thread though, that is far from being a sure thing.
While I’m in the camp of switching to All Seasons, I’m betting that someone will figure out how to put 18” Aeros on the P3D+ rotors with spacer magic.

Pilot A/S seem like legit tires too and apparently decent lifespan.

Does anyone know where one can find internal measurements for the stock 20” wheels? I’m working with a local performance tire shop to bring in a set of 19” wheels and test fit on my P3D+ when I get it, but it would be much nicer to know how much space (tire shop calls it “x-factor”) the wheels require and order the appropriate ones right off the hop.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where one can find internal measurements for the stock 20” wheels? I’m working with a local performance tire shop to bring in a set of 19” wheels and test fit on my P3D+ when I get it, but it would be much nicer to know how much space (tire shop calls it “x-factor”) the wheels require and order the appropriate ones right off the hop.

I can't help with the actually measurements of the 20" wheels.....but in the following forum the measurements of the rotors and calipers for the P3D+ are discussed in some detail.

That $5k Performance Upgrade option, Part Deux

"the effective diameter of the PUO 355 mm front rotor and caliper is about 411 mm"
"the PUO rear rotor and caliper effective diameter is about 421 mm"

From this any rim with a maximum barrel inner diameter of 425 mm or greater would work (leaving a couple mm for clearance and weights). There should be quite a few 19" rims that will work. I also suspect that there are also a handful of 18" rims that would work.

Let us know how it goes! I have a P3D+ on order and will need snows for it. All seasons aren't an option for me (some snow and temps below 32C/0F). I will be purchasing a new set of rims fairly soon after I get the car as winter is fast approaching. 18s would be my preference but 19s will work too.

FYI, I ended up grabbing the all seasons (on sale for $930 right now for the set - after rebate). I'm almost 100% sure I'm going the lazy route and just leaving them on my P3D+. If anyone wants the summer tires, let me know. They'll probably have a few hundred miles on them tops - and I'll take ~30% off the "new" price. I live in Metro Boston ...

Reactions: nogassnorlax
FYI, I ended up grabbing the all seasons (on sale for $930 right now for the set - after rebate). I'm almost 100% sure I'm going the lazy route and just leaving them on my P3D+. If anyone wants the summer tires, let me know. They'll probably have a few hundred miles on them tops - and I'll take ~30% off the "new" price. I live in Metro Boston ...
Which ones did you get?

Nice! Did you already have them installed? How do they ride, especially compared to the stock summer tires?
Haha, I need the car first! I'm just getting super-prepared and planning / hoping to bring them to the service center ahead of the car arriving and have them do the swap prior to delivery. If not, I'll have my local guy do it. Definitely will let you know how they ride for sure!

• Funny
Reactions: ronin
I live in same area as you and wonder how they will perform in a bad snow storm. I work in a hospital and have to go to work regardless of the weather. Worried those wouldn’t cut it with a good 1 foot snow storm...

I live in same area as you and wonder how they will perform in a bad snow storm. I work in a hospital and have to go to work regardless of the weather. Worried those wouldn’t cut it with a good 1 foot snow storm...

In most situations tires > drivetrain... (that is in most snow situations 2WD with snow tires do better than AWD with all seasons- and in most above 35-40 degree situations summer tires beat everything else regardless of drivetrain)

Lots of folks still "get by" on all seasons, but they're generally a distant 2nd or 3rd best in any situation.

Yeah, that might be tough to pull off in your case. It's a different situation for me in that the weather doesn't really impact me at all. I own my own biz and work from home most of the time. Wife also stays at home with the kiddos - so neither of us need to "brave the elements". Most of the time I'll be in my slippers drinking hot tea when there is snow. And if I feel like venturing out for a quick trip in light snow; I'll take my wife's SUV or just drive extra carefully with my car. I've been on all seasons literally my entire life in New England (both RWD and AWD cars) and have never had an issue with traction when there is snow on the ground. Maybe i'm just a slow/careful driver and don't drive like an idiot ... or I could just be lucky :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Shopmicrocode
Just ordered my P3D+ in midnight silver. For a winter setup I decided to use the 20" wheels that come with the vehicle and ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s in 235/35/20 for them. Will report back later this winter once I have gotten some snowy/icy weather miles done on them. I am based in RI and drive to NH every weekend in the winter months. For summer, I am taking the OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires that come with the vehicle and putting them on a set of 20" black turbines from EVWheelsdirect. The new wheels and tires all-in cost ~ $2900 including shipping and tax.

• Love
Reactions: HopeToGolf
I cannot recommend 20" wheels with low profile tires for winter use. Potholes are going to ruin you.

This is what you do instead...

Drop down to an aftermarket set of 19s and add a 235/50-R19 tire - preferably this one. That'll give you a slight ride height increase of 1.4" according to this Tire Size Calculator. This is all predicated on having zero rubbing issues from those specific taller tires.

If there are zero rubbing issues, that taller tire is going to do a solid job protecting you over the winter with a higher ride height and an increase in tire wall thickness for combating those inevitable potholes.

Now all we have to do is find out which aftermarket 19's clear those P3D+ brakes :)

I cannot recommend 20" wheels with low profile tires for winter use. Potholes are going to ruin you.

Drop down to an aftermarket set of 19s and add a 235/50-R19 tire - preferably this one. That'll give you a slight ride height increase of 1.4" according to this Tire Size Calculator. This is all predicated on having zero rubbing issues from those specific taller tires.

If there are zero rubbing issues, that taller tire is going to do a solid job protecting you over the winter with a higher ride height and an increase in tire wall thickness for combating those inevitable potholes.

Now all we have to do is find out which aftermarket 19's clear those P3D+ brakes :)
TST 18’s and 19’s will both fit P3D+

Reactions: NickHoffmann

Given how little clearance there is between the stock tires and the upper control arms I'm not sure a 1.4" taller tire is going to work very well

That's also assuming the car auto-adapts to the 3.7% diameter difference speedometer/traction-control wise.

In my opinion it is best to match the diameter of the tire as close as possible. The tires you are recommending have a circumference of 88.8s. The stock tires a circumference of 83.17. That is too much. The speedometer would be off and it is not known how it would impact the electronics in the car. You would of course have a higher top speed if you wanted to push the car past 155 mph ;-) 235/45/19 s have a circumference of 82.7. These are recommended by Tesla in their store. A better choice I believe.

How do you know this? I don't see any mention of the P3D+ on their website.

Two reasons:
  1. They have said on the forum that they fit.
  2. You can pick the P3D+ from the "Model 3 Spec"/fitment drop down list:
T-Sportline 18 Wheels.png

They have even said that they had to re-engineer the wheels to fit because of the 3mm lip on the P3D+.

• Helpful
Reactions: ViviV

Rookie mistake... Forgot to subtract out a half inch of the radius for the smaller diameter wheel. New height will only rise 0.9 inches. Question is, can we fit about an extra inch to the height of the tire without rubbing.

I see that the 18s from TST fit. You could go 225/50-R18. That'll give you a slightly narrower tire, which is preferred for winter. And the circumference is inline with the stock 235/35-R20:

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
235/35-20 3.2in 13.2in 26.5in 83.2in 762 0.0%
225/50-18 4.4in 13.4in 26.9in 84.4in 751 1.4%

So here are your two options:

#1 - Set of 4 TST 19" wheels - Link + 235/50-R19 tires - Link (You'll need to purchase TPMS & have them professionally mounted/balanced)

#2 - Set of 4 TST 18" wheels - Link + 225/50-R18 tires - Link (Again, need TPMS & mount/balance)

Note: I'm sure there are other wheel options out there that will fit the recommended tires, but this is what I know so far that's currently available.

I hope this information can help others. I'd like to see more info on whether or not those 235/50-R19 tires would rub. Remember your ride height and the tallness of the tire will grow by 0.9 inches.