Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm near Detroit, and I don't plan on ever using the studless ice and snow tires on any of my cars again. I find the grip too compromised on the dry. And, the side walls as so squishy at normal pressures that I have to drive so slow because it feels like they're always slipping.

That said, I still plan on getting winter tires, just the performance winter versions. I've used the stock A/S tires on my Model S for 2 winters with good success (and will continue to use A/S on the S), but I prefer to have better summer tires for the summer and better winter tires for the winter on the 3.

I would avoid the AS3+s (read the reviews) and consider the Continental DWS 06s. There are rumors that they are lighter, last longer, and have even better rolling resistance than the OEM summer tires! They're 0.3" wider, too, so you get a bit more grip.

Can someone confirm that they have tried the continental dws 06 245/35/20s fit on the P3??? Any feedback on the ride va the stock Michelin summers. Appreciate any pics and info. Need to make a decision before winter here and prefer them over the Michelin’s as3 and the Contis are also $50/ per tire cheaper.

Can someone confirm that they have tried the continental dws 06 245/35/20s fit on the P3??? Any feedback on the ride va the stock Michelin summers. Appreciate any pics and info. Need to make a decision before winter here and prefer them over the Michelin’s as3 and the Contis are also $50/ per tire cheaper.

Can't confirm until I get my car in a few weeks, but I talked to a tire shop locally here that does a ton of Tesla's and the owner thought it wouldn't be an issue. His opinion was the DWS06 is a mildly better tire for everything other than all out dry traction in comparison to the A/S3+. The A/S3+ he said were noisier and a noticeably firmer ride/sidewall.

I'm planning on going this route unless someone finds they don't fit, which seems highly unlikely. It's 1/3" taller and wider overall.

I'm near Detroit, and I don't plan on ever using the studless ice and snow tires on any of my cars again. I find the grip too compromised on the dry. And, the side walls as so squishy at normal pressures that I have to drive so slow because it feels like they're always slipping.

That said, I still plan on getting winter tires, just the performance winter versions. I've used the stock A/S tires on my Model S for 2 winters with good success (and will continue to use A/S on the S), but I prefer to have better summer tires for the summer and better winter tires for the winter on the 3.

Are you saying you will continue to stay with the all-weather A/S for the 3 as your 'winter' set or actually get a winter set like the Blizzaks or comparable? I was just confused as you said you wouldn't plan on getting studies ice/snow tires again but isn't a tire like the Blizzak a studies ice/snow tire?

For those of you switching wheels by the season, when will you do it? It’s been hot and humid it Pittsburgh (highs in the 80s) through yesterday, so this issue has been outta site/ outta mind for me. Now fall appears to have arrived, and I see some days where the highs will be in the 50s with a low of 39 or 40 in the next couple of weeks. Am I going to ruin the summer tires (or skate off the road) if I don’t act soon?

For those of you switching wheels by the season, when will you do it? It’s been hot and humid it Pittsburgh (highs in the 80s) through yesterday, so this issue has been outta site/ outta mind for me. Now fall appears to have arrived, and I see some days where the highs will be in the 50s with a low of 39 or 40 in the next couple of weeks. Am I going to ruin the summer tires (or skate off the road) if I don’t act soon?

Are you on PS4; I'm assuming so. If so, then 40 degrees do not worry too much on damage and make a rush decision on snows. Be aware you will lose some traction and be a bit more careful than normal. You really don't wantwto run them in that cold if possible. If youygo lower than that, start worrying :)

FYI this is the note on Tire Rack.
Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: PA ZU
Summers are fine down to ~40 degrees no problem.

Below that, from my own Pilot Sport experience, they're...usable...if you have to...and you drive conservatively... in absolutely dry conditions... not super long distances...down into the 30s

So weather where it's in the 50s, and might drop to 39 in the middle of the night when you're not driving, is perfectly fine for summers.

It's when it's going to be much below 40 often at times you actually need to drive you'd want to swap.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: hoang51 and PA ZU

So would you say A/S tires would be good on the P3D+? You said it has been doing good for your Model S for 2 winters:rolleyes:

The A/S tires would likely be fine. With the long wheel base and nice suspension, I found the S to be very stable in the snow. AWD helps make sure that things go straight as well even when steady state or turning. So, it'd probably be fine on the P3D+ as well. Although, the suspension is stiffer and wheelbase shorter.
But, I'm hoping the performance winter tires (never had them before) are half way between the studless ice and snow and A/S tires.
Edit to add: I'll likely be getting one of these for the winter:
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-alpin-pa4/p/34466
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=345VR8SZ3SS&tab=Specs
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+LM001&partnum=345VR8LM001XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive#RatingsReviews
Also: I've got Bridgestone RE-71R's on my Lotus, and last winter I found they were much more predictable and with more grip than the Blizzak WS60 (my winter tires for the Lotus) even down around 20F as long as it wasn't snowy. They were even better in the wet. But, I'm fairly certain a tiny bit of snow or a slight accumulation of slush and I'd be off the road. So, I had to be very careful. :)

Last edited:
FYI, I threw the Pilot A/S 3+ treads on my P3D+ today and am VERY pleased. The road noise actually seems LESS vs. the summer tires it came with. It's also pretty slick out with rain today and I really did some crazy stuff with the car on both sets of tires - the all seasons actually felt like the grip and traction was better. Given that I don't really have a commute and never really have to drive in the snow, I'm probably just leaving them on for good :)

FYI, I threw the Pilot A/S 3+ treads on my P3D+ today and am VERY pleased. The road noise actually seems LESS vs. the summer tires it came with. It's also pretty slick out with rain today and I really did some crazy stuff with the car on both sets of tires - the all seasons actually felt like the grip and traction was better. Given that I don't really have a commute and never really have to drive in the snow, I'm probably just leaving them on for good :)

This is awesome to know! Did you get just the A/S tires or did you get wheels with it too?

40 is the number. Check your local weather averages for highs and lows per day. When it starts creeping down into the mid 40s, that’s your target date.

In Maryland I could make it to late November, but I’m shooting for a late October install.

Aweseome to hear, good datapoint! I assume you went stock size 235/35?

For whatever reason, the traction seems better to me, and its been around 60F-70F here (we have the same tires - w00t). In any case I am very happy with them and will just switch back to the summers, in well... summer.

Reactions: skrtskrt

Can you speak to highway speeds, 70-80mph noise?

I may just go with these to stay stock size wise.

Anyone order a winter tire/wheel package from Tirerack for their M3P with performance package? I spoke with a Tirerack representative today who assured me that as long as I configure the package for the “performance brakes” option that any wheel set selected will fit.