Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To all that got the AS3+ ok their 20’s, what is the noise level at around 70mph+? With music off and windows rolled up. I have this loud hum that’s very noticeable. Seems like I’m the only one that has this issue. Sounds like when you drive over blacktop that’s about to be repaved and the top layer has been removed, leaving the rough raked-like under-layer.

Wait a minute, you get 20" wheels and 19" tires???

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 1.49.47 PM.png

Good decision! wish I would have done that.
Snow - Yup, the guy that plows our rather long driveway just confirmed he'll be doing it again this year.

Looks like the 19s with winter tires are in stock, I'm going to call and find out if I can change my order.

How foolish am I for going with TST's 20" rims with Michelin Alpin PA4s? Am I pretty much guaranteed to pop a tire over a Chicago winter? What are all of the downsides of going with 20" winters?

To all that got the AS3+ ok their 20’s, what is the noise level at around 70mph+? With music off and windows rolled up. I have this loud hum that’s very noticeable. Seems like I’m the only one that has this issue. Sounds like when you drive over blacktop that’s about to be repaved and the top layer has been removed, leaving the rough raked-like under-layer.

I do not think they are noisier but the noise is definitively different at different speeds especially at ~70MPH..

• Informative
Reactions: ghostbusta
To add to the previous post: I ordered a "Wheel & Tire Package" with Xi3 winter tires. Total for all of it was about $1550 including shipping + TPMS. When choosing wheel & tire a bunch of other stuff got added on, such as the hub rings, lugs, etc. It was as simple as going to a shop and having the 20" wheels stored & the new wheels mounted.

They joyrided the car which is a joke (who doesn't know Tesla owners track kW usage and location?) but at least the service was decently priced.

To add to the previous post: I ordered a "Wheel & Tire Package" with Xi3 winter tires. Total for all of it was about $1550 including shipping + TPMS. When choosing wheel & tire a bunch of other stuff got added on, such as the hub rings, lugs, etc. It was as simple as going to a shop and having the 20" wheels stored & the new wheels mounted.

They joyrided the car which is a joke (who doesn't know Tesla owners track kW usage and location?) but at least the service was decently priced.

Yikes. How many miles did they put on it?

How foolish am I for going with TST's 20" rims with Michelin Alpin PA4s? Am I pretty much guaranteed to pop a tire over a Chicago winter? What are all of the downsides of going with 20" winters?
I put the same tires on the OEM 20”. So far so good after 2 months but haven’t gone through a winter yet. I am realizing though that it is hard to keep tire pressure when the temps swing so wildly. Normally not a huge deal when you have a lot of sidewall but a little worried when it gets cold and that the low profile tires won’t hold up when hitting a pothole or roadwork or something. Will see I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: ChicagoP3D
Heylo,

So it has officially dropped to 20ºF here in CO. The roads are definitely snowy and icy and I didn't act quickly enough so I still have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's on my P3D+. It's also only going to get colder tonight. I know these tires should not be driven below 20ºF so I am not quite sure what to do.

Should I definitely not drive on these tires? I was driving earlier today and they didn't feel great going over some snowier sections, so that makes me nervous too.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

CK

Heylo,

So it has officially dropped to 20ºF here in CO. The roads are definitely snowy and icy and I didn't act quickly enough so I still have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's on my P3D+. It's also only going to get colder tonight. I know these tires should not be driven below 20ºF so I am not quite sure what to do.

Should I definitely not drive on these tires? I was driving earlier today and they didn't feel great going over some snowier sections, so that makes me nervous too.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

CK

You can get TireRack to ship pretty damn quickly to a service center. I wouldn't drive at 20 degrees on those. Driving them will heat them up which is going to be bad for the soft compounds in the tires.

Even more important than ruining 4 $300 tires: the probability of losing traction and hurting yourself or others.

Reactions: CullinKin
You can get TireRack to ship pretty damn quickly to a service center. I wouldn't drive at 20 degrees on those. Driving them will heat them up which is going to be bad for the soft compounds in the tires.

Even more important than ruining 4 $300 tires: the probability of losing traction and hurting yourself or others.

Thank you fro the response. That is what I feared. I found some cheap all-seasons on TireRack (Nankang NS-II Ultra Sport), I am going to get those ordered here right now. I've heard Costco has a pretty solid set of all-seasons (Michelin PS A/S 3+) but I haven't had time to make it there. Any recommendations on what to get?

I guess my options are really as follows:
Michelin PS A/S 3+ - Long wait but probably the best.
Nankang NS-II Ultra Sport - $149/Tire and one 4-star rating
Nankang NS-20 Noble Sport - $106/Tire and no ratings
Nankang NS-25 A/S UHP - $90/Tire and no ratings

Have not see 1411112-01-A anywhere...can anyone assist on ordering details?
If you're looking to order the winter package: OEM 20s with the Sottozero 2 tires, then you need to call your local service center. You should explain that you own a Performance Model 3 - it might help them to give them that item number. It might take a few calls. That's how I got my winter wheels and tire package from Tesla.

Threw on the winter set a little earlier than planned due to a small leak from a screw I found in one for my pilot sport 4S. TPMS from tire rack worked as expected. No issues. Within a couple miles tire pressures showed and got the prompt to choose wheel size/reset TPMS.

Running a Tesla Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade vehicle here, bought the TSportLine 19" rims with Pirelli Sotozero III tires for a ridiculous price. Had to have one of the tires remounted as apparently TSportLine messed up one of the tires and mounted them backwards (seriously?), tough thankfully they reluctantly admitted to the error after sending photos of the tires to them and they agreed to pay a local tire company to re-mount the tire correctly (One company wouldn't touch the ties because they were expensive Tesla, though shout out to Carman's Wholesale tire in Johnstown PA who gratefully helped me out and bent over backwards to help me out! I wonder if TSportLine will refund my time and effort to correct their error, jury is still out on that, recent free shipping didn't include 18" and 19" Tesla Model 3 snow tires but included everything else that they sold, mmm). So far after 150+ miles everything has been okay in the sub zero Celsius weather here in Pennsylvania. Still waiting on my Tesla recommended chains for travel to CA and CO, Amazon are you listening?

Thank you fro the response. That is what I feared. I found some cheap all-seasons on TireRack (Nankang NS-II Ultra Sport), I am going to get those ordered here right now. I've heard Costco has a pretty solid set of all-seasons (Michelin PS A/S 3+) but I haven't had time to make it there. Any recommendations on what to get?

I guess my options are really as follows:
Michelin PS A/S 3+ - Long wait but probably the best.
Nankang NS-II Ultra Sport - $149/Tire and one 4-star rating
Nankang NS-20 Noble Sport - $106/Tire and no ratings
Nankang NS-25 A/S UHP - $90/Tire and no ratings

Why mount A/S if you already have summer tires? Mount snows.

A picture of the TireRack wheels on my P3D (sorry for potato quality):
Kdz6OHer65d5ZQskqzircV9Vm48wjLoEjt2FWAi8JBlSctgq5_EUVRBuMBTccqxuPzXu-hbV8P0lxu4udRPllH-OmwvaC3FycDsJ9Th3IHkWgYS0h1kZGEB-XaJcxvXK91m_c3xTUWZL4Ar2xBGljbKce86tbIt8OsFvxeFkdD9ij0KXf7NmKwq-ck7rnb0hnoLI9z0XrkXAZ-rEDHYjAS0EHS8vrAwsyRnpZ6Kg_CIo-1ZwNRpAZBvmbfnJLi9lPbVCCBhMF_Eli7RB1HAHytPvNLJuAbrEdmY1EtSBU0uPuFCju6GplT2lJtvA2cqu1jWQSoBM0aw8-54zQUhGY2Vgci5JWdswknpDeusNuz1AAqvgXPphKKn-1cNO15YRrKJfAJsaXbjK6U49GsjcmUdvFxBwn1dvxo1bQwUUAR9CV6QQQiP_nlLId_duNlvNvZYgwefs8RaJAOZdYXeeL3yuPjHUfLCnWSZEZ-kiccVHqxoa2FqSHP1DiC_yNB4tPVx6BTS-nGztKeWMkN1sGMg6_eOvN2BAnklazgGnh_6avBh14Ul7RKEZt6Za0ykFARROU_lown7w2c2CTCxeeaVWnx0T8I2lv7MQ5TeONI9qabMJfgJtZ-rDXnAibd91t0hI1R8JSMmj9WL6Ip3jk6VnVhSN9D-BjMcusqOX73P2DQ=w2846-h2134-no

Reactions: DrDabbles
I called TST late last week to ask about an update to mid-October orders for the 18" + Winter tires, and the estimate was a couple of weeks before they go out. It's starting to hit 30's and 40's on a regular basis here, so I may end up with a rental for a couple of weeks :(