Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thought process was: I have no idea when TST will actually ship, their wheels are great but priced too high (and the tires are a huge profit center at ~40% markup), and nobody really cares what my wheels look like when the car is covered in ice, slush, and dirt.

TireRack will get winter tires shipped to a local shop in 2 days. Total cost was ~$1550 + $100 for mounting and storage. Don't gamble with your life & others by driving on summer tires in the snow.

Just placed an order with Tire Rack for a set of 19x8.5 Gloss Gunmetal Silver Painted ASA GT14 with 235/40R19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3. Interestingly, I had initially ordered 235/40R19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero II's, but received a call from Tire Rack to let me know that the SL load rating of the Sottozero II's weren't recommended for the rears. The Sottozero 3's have a heavier XL rating, so I made the switch. I did point out that Tesla's winter tire set up calls for the Sottozero II's and was told by Tire Rack that I could go with the Sottozero II's, but they were obligated to point out the load rating recommendations that they had received from Tesla. I went with their recommendation. I am curious as to why Tesla sells the Sottozero II's, which I also have had on my Model S for 4 years with no issue. I also confirmed that they will ship with the hub-centric rings to fit the performance brakes.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
How foolish am I for going with TST's 20" rims with Michelin Alpin PA4s? Am I pretty much guaranteed to pop a tire over a Chicago winter? What are all of the downsides of going with 20" winters?

It's enough rubber, you're not only going to be fine, it will be awesome. I've had so many different sizes of winter wheel/tire combos, small wheels, more narrow tires, large wheels, wider tires and in my honest opinion, I could never feel a single difference in performance so I finally stopped going small wheels / more narrow tires and enjoy the look of the larger wheels and still get excellent performance. I'll get 30-40 ski days in this season, cruising up and down mountain passes, lots of snow, plenty of potholes, etc and won't have any issues with the 20's. You're great with 20's.

If you're looking to order the winter package: OEM 20s with the Sottozero 2 tires, then you need to call your local service center. You should explain that you own a Performance Model 3 - it might help them to give them that item number. It might take a few calls. That's how I got my winter wheels and tire package from Tesla.

Trying to get ahold of anyone has been a DISASTER.

View attachment 351693 The level of incompetence at Tesla when it comes to winter tires for the performance Model 3 goes in and keeeps on giving.

Here is the set they advertise on their web site: they finally split the 20’s Michelin racing tire set from the winter set. They now advertise the 20’s winter wheel with a 19’ sottozero 2. Let’s see how long it takes them to fix that!

Looks like someone finally caught it.

Capture.JPG

At this point, I'm very close to cancelling and asking for a refund. I bought the tires last month when I bought the wheels, so changing to the 20" isn't a possibility. The fact that I can get a fully working wheel setup from half a dozen other places, some of them with the same look as the Tesla or @Tsportline wheels.

It's mid-November in New England, and I'm not willing to wait any longer to find out what is going on. A follow-up email would be a bare minimum level of acceptable communication for people that forked over money up front for a back-ordered item (I know, our mistake). But customer service really needs to be stepped up here.

At this point, I'm very close to cancelling and asking for a refund. I bought the tires last month when I bought the wheels, so changing to the 20" isn't a possibility. The fact that I can get a fully working wheel setup from half a dozen other places, some of them with the same look as the Tesla or @Tsportline wheels.

It's mid-November in New England, and I'm not willing to wait any longer to find out what is going on. A follow-up email would be a bare minimum level of acceptable communication for people that forked over money up front for a back-ordered item (I know, our mistake). But customer service really needs to be stepped up here.

I completely agree! I feel the same and am calling tomorrow to cancel my order and go to Tire Rack.

Agreed. While temps here are OK and new tires are not a dire emergency, I don't like the combination of a lack of updates from Tsportline AND with them charging my credit card upfront despite them knowing they don't have the product to ship. I will look in to getting tires elsewhere tomorrow.

For all still considering the AS3+, I did a bit more digging as I ended up with a very loud hum/vibration at highway speeds with these tires installed on my 20" rims. Below is the link to user reviews on consumer reports, though I may be the only one experiencing the issue on these forums, I am not the only that had the issue. I am getting the 4S tires put back this week and will be looking to purchase a winter wheel/tire combo from Tirerack. Wanted to stay with all-seasons on the 20's, but I'm not ready to gamble more money to see if the next batch I get is good. Not trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing these, I've mostly run with Michelins on all my cars, but this is the first time I've had any reason to return a set and figured I'd pass along my own experience.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tire reviews information from Consumer Reports

• Informative
For all still considering the AS3+, I did a bit more digging as I ended up with a very loud hum/vibration at highway speeds with these tires installed on my 20" rims. Below is the link to user reviews on consumer reports, though I may be the only one experiencing the issue on these forums, I am not the only that had the issue. I am getting the 4S tires put back this week and will be looking to purchase a winter wheel/tire combo from Tirerack. Wanted to stay with all-seasons on the 20's, but I'm not ready to gamble more money to see if the next batch I get is good. Not trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing these, I've mostly run with Michelins on all my cars, but this is the first time I've had any reason to return a set and figured I'd pass along my own experience.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tire reviews information from Consumer Reports
Now that you mention it, I noticed the same thing at freeway speeds (55-70mph) for my A/S3+ on the OEM Sport 20" wheels. I haven't evaluated it on the Continental DWS 06 on my TST 18" yet.

Anyone planning on running Nokian WRG4's on the TST 18 wheels?

Either going with WRG4s of Michelin CrossClimate+. CrossClimate+ is newer and according to consumer reports better?

Last time I talked to TST all I got was "Thank you for your order and our apologies for the delay, deliveries of our TST Wheels are are scheduled to begin before Thanksgiving."

I'm planning on a ski trip in thanksgiving to Mammoth, might have to cancel. Live in SD so don't need them otherwise

So I picked up my P3D+ today with the A/S 3+ already swapped by the SC and it was amazing. I think it was a better ride experience then the Pilot 4S that I test drove, twice. There has been said above in this forum about howling sound or it being loud but I think if no one was nitpicking, I wouldn't have noticed and when I did, I barely even noticed it. It was no issue or an annoyance problems at all. So far I've been surprise and impressed on how amazing and comfortable the A/S 3+ tires are. I have 300+ miles on them with mostly highway driving.

• Informative
I ordered these off TireRack

18X8.5 FLOW ONE RACE SPEC F2 GLOSS GUN
235/45R-18 PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3

They're a little blingy, but I don't hate them. They were half the price of the TST 18" wheels and not much heavier. I dropped 4.3 pounds per corner from the OEM 20" wheels and Michelin 4S 's..

I went for Sottozero's because they lean toward better dry grip, but still decent in snow. I will drive the truck in deep snow.

20181114_084715_001.jpg

20181114_085124.jpg