Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Musclez,

You’ll absolutely LOVE these Alpins. I have had them on my P3D+ for afew weeks. Love them. As quiet if not quieter to the ear as the 4Ss. I have a decimal meter and on that they are ‘identical’, so good news there. SUPER grippy though not as grippy as the 4Ss. It IS a Winter Tire. Really like them and super satisfied. No change at all in energy useage. Identical Wh/Mi. More good news so no hit on efficiency. I’ve already had them in Winter Mix/Sleet/precipitation and you’d swear you were on Sports!
Did I say I LOVE these tires? Win! Win! All around. Pilot Sport 4Ss are tucked away for the winter.
Let me know what you think when you get them mounted and try them out.

Ski

Looking forward to it!

Reactions: Skione65
To answer my own question here, it took five business days to ship (ordered Saturday, shipped Friday) my 20" Pilot Alpin PA4s on Tsportline wheels, and then three business days to arrive into Chicago. Here is a picture from the auto body that Tesla outsourced the repair of my delivery defects to. P.S. Today marks the four week anniversary of being without my P3D+. I dropped it off at a Tesla service center four weeks ago, and learned that the auto body they drove it to just started work on it one week ago. Awesome.

View attachment 354777

@ChicagoP3D,

Looks awesome! Let me know how you like the Alpins! I put a set on a secondary set of OEM 20’s and they’re amazing....quiet...same efficiency as the 4S’s. Sticky....love ‘em. What color is your 3? If it’s MCR post a photo with the new rims. Love the grey.

Ski

Reactions: ChicagoP3D
Just got off the phone with TSportOnline and took the advice of taking advantage of the Black Friday deal. Thanks for the tip from HBDesiato! The deal takes away some of the pain. Cancelled my order for the 18 inch wheels and bought the 19 inch wheels with winter tires and TPMS. Wheels are black which I'm not totally sure about, but kind of cool to have silver in summer and black in winter. At this point I just want to get something going. I was swayed by the TSportOnline wheels being hub centric and not requiring spacing rings etc. The extra inch of clearance makes me feel better also. Still costs a lot compared to the TireRack deals. Shipping is $260! I know, it's a Tesla, I should just get used to it. Gotta pay to play.

Just did the same. He noted that they're getting a shipment of the Sottozero 3 tires for this combo on Monday, but they should still ship before the 18's. Hope I'm putting these on next week, otherwise I'll end up renting a car for at least a week. We've been getting lucky with the lack of snow, but I don't really want to keep counting on luck.

Reactions: HBDesiato
For people who are doing the install / swap themselves some tips:

1) Drive the front of the car up on 2x8s. With the puck adapter you can just sneak in a low profile jack that way.
My low profile jack fits under the car with pucks in and no additional lifting. Look for something with < 3.5" height to the end of the lift arm and it should fit without needing to ramp the car at all first.

@blake6551,

How do you like the SottoZeros? Did you go with the 2’s or 3’s? I went with the Alpins and love them.

Ski

They are the 2s. I actually wanted the Alpins and the SC said they would install them, but TireRack sold out so I just did the full Tesla package. Price was identical wither way.

They have a mild "hum" mostly during acceleration. I only have 350mi on them and I think it is starting to decrease noticeably, so fingers crossed. Haven't got to try them in snow, but traction otherwise is great and ride quality is identical to the 4S.

Hey everyone, I see that a lot of people are getting TPMS sensors from TSportline and or TireRack and or Tesla directly. I just want to let everyone know that you can get them from a TMC member here @SomeJoe7777 . I got mine from Amazon at about $25 each and then had them sent to him for programming.

They got back to me in good time (Priority Mail) and with the crazy delays on the 18" TSportline Wheels, I had to cancel and go with another set as the mornings here for my commute were starting up in the teens and 20". If my Summer Pilot 4s were damaged or cracked in anyway that I would have a premature need to change them in the future, the delay on a winter set would cost me way more in addition to the higher cost of the wheels I was waiting for.

Either way, the thread for the discussion is here:
Found Least Expensive Compatible TPMS Sensors - $25.50/ea

And the service post is here:
For Sale: Programming Service for Autel TPMS Sensors - $25

On the overall winter setup for now, I've been lucky to finally have my setup up and running the last week!

Between rebates on tires, and saving on TPMS, My total cost for an 18" set of winters is at about $1830.

Peace of mind now that the temps for my AM commute have been colder (Less than 40˚ daily and around 15˚-20˚ as I leave in the AM).
Save on potential excessive wear on the summers.
Safety Always
18" Diameter for a "Better" and more affordable (Tires) setup
Overall cost savings in general. For me though, the overall benefit was being safe vs sorry.

Just wanted to post my experiences for this winter season in my P Model 3 with PUP.

What wheels did you end up going with?

Just did the same. He noted that they're getting a shipment of the Sottozero 3 tires for this combo on Monday, but they should still ship before the 18's. Hope I'm putting these on next week, otherwise I'll end up renting a car for at least a week. We've been getting lucky with the lack of snow, but I don't really want to keep counting on luck.

I don't think the 19's are flow forged. Do you know how much they weigh per wheel?

Need some advice, looking for winter wheels for Chicago weather - read through this thread multiple times and settled on the following options:

1. Cheapest option $1986 - 18" Wheel / Tire package from Tirerack, specifically the Flow One F2's and Winter SottoZero3's (i can do 2's instead). Pros: Cheap, Flow forged wheels, fast shipping. Cons: Don't look like the turbines, No Alpins
  2. Buy the 19" inch package from TSportsline, for $2,850. Pros: Look great, $500 discount for Black Friday. Cons: I don't think they're flow forged, priciest option, no alpins
  3. Buy 19" wheels from evswheeldirect, Pilot Alpins from Tirerack, and Sensors from Amazon, total $2,660. Pros: Look great, Paired with the Pilot Alpins. Cons: Rims are HEAVY, still expensive compared to Tirerack option.
I'd love some input b4 pulling the trigger!!! Right now leaning toward cheapest option.

Need some advice, looking for winter wheels for Chicago weather - read through this thread multiple times and settled on the following options:

1. Cheapest option $1986 - 18" Wheel / Tire package from Tirerack, specifically the Flow One F2's and Winter SottoZero3's (i can do 2's instead). Pros: Cheap, Flow forged wheels, fast shipping. Cons: Don't look like the turbines, No Alpins
  2. Buy the 19" inch package from TSportsline, for $2,850. Pros: Look great, $500 discount for Black Friday. Cons: I don't think they're flow forged, priciest option, no alpins
  3. Buy 19" wheels from evswheeldirect, Pilot Alpins from Tirerack, and Sensors from Amazon, total $2,660. Pros: Look great, Paired with the Pilot Alpins. Cons: Rims are HEAVY, still expensive compared to Tirerack option.
I'd love some input b4 pulling the trigger!!! Right now leaning toward cheapest option.

I don't like the wheels from Tirerack but that's very personal. Also you would save almost $1000 over the other options so seems to be a good option.

I have a Model 3 PUP and looking to buy a second set of wheels and tires for my trips to Lake Tahoe. I usually go there a couple of weekends per year (when we have snow...). So I'm looking to get a set that will be used from December to late March that is good on dry road (SF Bay Area) but will also perform well on cold and snowy conditions couple of weekend per year.

So far I'm looking at these options.
  1. Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS - seems to have the best rating but isn't rated as low rolling resistance. Would that be an issue for my Model 3?
  2. Michelin Premier A/S - seems to have great ratings, slightly lower tracking for winter conditions but comes with low rolling resistance.
  3. CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS - similar but cheaper than the Michelin.

Any thought? Looks like the Bridgestone would be a good option but haven't seen a lot of Tesla drivers using it?

Under 19” TST description they say flow forged. Under FAQs it says they are cast. I know they were supposedly transitioning to flow forged. If they were flow forged, I would do these. If you find out what they are, please let us know.

I wouldn't expect those wheel weights to make it through the season...

Seems a little cryptic? The weights are no where near the calipers so I'm assuming you don't like stick ons? Not sure if Tirerack does dynamic balancing and positions the weights based on that inboard/outboard. When I do mount and balance a tire myself I only do static balance, which works just fine.

Three things I considered:
#1 clearance of the brake caliper - Where I live ice will collect on the rim so 3mm of clearance was not acceptable to me. 19 inch wheels or bigger is better
#2 wheel is hub centric - All the Tire Rack whels require spacers. This video explains very well:
.The TSportonline wheels are designed for Model 3 without spacers
#3 load rating of wheel - I don't know the load rating on those very lightweight Flow F2. They certainly don't look like they are very beefy. The Model 3 is a very heavy car and winter is pothole season. Probably be fine, but I'm not ok with probably.

Three things I considered:
#1 clearance of the brake caliper - Where I live ice will collect on the rim so 3mm of clearance was not acceptable to me. 19 inch wheels or bigger is better
#2 wheel is hub centric - All the Tire Rack whels require spacers. This video explains very well:
.The TSportonline wheels are designed for Model 3 without spacers
#3 load rating of wheel - I don't know the load rating on those very lightweight Flow F2. They certainly don't look like they are very beefy. The Model 3 is a very heavy car and winter is pothole season. Probably be fine, but I'm not ok with probably.

Great info, but some thoughts:

1) What's the worst case if ice collects between the caliper and rim? do you think that's enough ice to actually lock the wheels?
2) Makes sense
3) I thought the Flow Forged wheels are supposed to be stronger than regular cast wheels. In addition, because they're smaller/lighter looks like performance would increase as well, according to the video. I reached out to TSP to see if the 19" are flow forged or not, no reply yet.

Great info, but some thoughts:

1) What's the worst case if ice collects between the caliper and rim? do you think that's enough ice to actually lock the wheels?
2) Makes sense
3) I thought the Flow Forged wheels are supposed to be stronger than regular cast wheels. In addition, because they're smaller/lighter looks like performance would increase as well, according to the video. I reached out to TSP to see if the 19" are flow forged or not, no reply yet.
I'm not sure about weight of the TST 19" wheels, but I agree it would be nicer if flow foforged instead of cast. The way I think about this, I'm only going to have winter tires on these rims, so performance from weight of rims is negligible. If you watched the video I linked, they save a lot of weight with the new rims but only got less than a 1/10 second quicker 0-60. The stock set up was avg 3.2 sec 0-60 and the aftermarket lighter rims were 3.12 sec. I was underwhelmed. Once you have winter tires the whole concept of acceleration performance is kind of out the window. Save those goals for the summer with true performance tires and better weather conditions.

I forgot to answer the ice question. Picture a mound of hard ice resting frozen to the bottom of the rim. Gravity will make it form there. Then you start to drive and the hunk rotates with the wheel until it strikes the brake caliper. The caliper is designed to resist force from the side, not the way I've described. Worst case, metal is bent such that the caliper is not longer aligned. Common sense tells me it is bad for anything to hit the brake caliper that is attached to the wheel. The wheel will not stop and will bend or break something. That will be real money if that happens. I wouldnt cheap out on the wheels to risk that.

I forgot to answer the ice question. Picture a mound of hard ice resting frozen to the bottom of the rim. Gravity will make it form there. Then you start to drive and the hunk rotates with the wheel until it strikes the brake caliper. The caliper is designed to resist force from the side, not the way I've described. Worst case, metal is bent such that the caliper is not longer aligned. Common sense tells me it is bad for anything to hit the brake caliper that is attached to the wheel. The wheel will not stop and will bend or break something. That will be real money if that happens. I wouldnt cheap out on the wheels to risk that.
How much clearance would you recommend? I’m considering getting the 18 inches from TSportline.