Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[...]after canceling the Tsportline order, I went to place the Tire Rack order. The first two wheel sets I tried, during the checkout process it told me they were "no longer in stock". Even though the web site still says they are in stock and can be delivered by Nov 26. Finally the third set of wheels I tried worked.

I talked to Tire Rack on the phone today. The problem ordering was because the wheels and tires I wanted were both in stock...but at different warehouses. They changed my order to the wheels I wanted (the matte titanium MT6 Vita that DrSmile put on his gray car) and while waiting for the TPMS will move the wheels to the warehouse that has the tires, so it won't delay my order.

I wish the web site had been a little better about pointing out the issue, but (after a bit of a wait on hold) Tire Rack customer service is good at getting things done. Now I've got the wheels AND tires I want on the way.

Reactions: brianman
For the people with Tire Rack 18 inch wheels, how much clearance do you have between the brake and the barrel of the rim? I zoomed in on DrSmile's picture of his car, and it looks practically like the brake is touching the rim. I live in Minneapolis and it is really cold right now, and basically I can't drive my new M3P+. I'm getting desperate. I ordered the TSportOnline 18 inch wheels, which look like there is some clearance for ice. But, they are backordered, and who knows when I will get them. I also didn't see any 19 inch options on TireRack for my car. Not psyched to spend extra $$$ to get 19 inch tires either. I'm scared to even drive my car when its dry with the summer tires when the temperature is below freezing since I saw this on TireRack
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/description.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

For the people with Tire Rack 18 inch wheels, how much clearance do you have between the brake and the barrel of the rim?

The Flow 18" wheels have nearly no clearance over the performance brakes. Snow is going to pack in there pretty good, which worries me a bit. I've got regen on low, so I do use the brakes during winter, but they aren't getting nearly warm enough to melt snow. I can go out with a tape measure though if you want actual numbers. We're talking a quarter inch or less, though.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
For the people with Tire Rack 18 inch wheels, how much clearance do you have between the brake and the barrel of the rim? I zoomed in on DrSmile's picture of his car, and it looks practically like the brake is touching the rim. I live in Minneapolis and it is really cold right now, and basically I can't drive my new M3P+. I'm getting desperate. I ordered the TSportOnline 18 inch wheels, which look like there is some clearance for ice. But, they are backordered, and who knows when I will get them. I also didn't see any 19 inch options on TireRack for my car. Not psyched to spend extra $$$ to get 19 inch tires either. I'm scared to even drive my car when its dry with the summer tires when the temperature is below freezing since I saw this on TireRack
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/description.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

I'm in Minnesota too and my car has been sitting for a while as well. just installed the 18" Flow One F2s from Tire Rack. Not much clearance to the barrel, but I double checked and was assured by Tire Rack that their engineer looked at this with the performance brakes and approved the configuration. I found a recommendation from Brembo online that you have 3 mm minimum clearance both to the barrel and to the spokes. I have way more than that to the spokes; maybe that much to the barrel. So far, so good. Happy to finally have winter tires on though!

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
What is everyone's experience with how long it took for your Tsportline order to ship? (asking specifically for items that were in stock when you ordered)

Thanks!

To answer my own question here, it took five business days to ship (ordered Saturday, shipped Friday) my 20" Pilot Alpin PA4s on Tsportline wheels, and then three business days to arrive into Chicago. Here is a picture from the auto body that Tesla outsourced the repair of my delivery defects to. P.S. Today marks the four week anniversary of being without my P3D+. I dropped it off at a Tesla service center four weeks ago, and learned that the auto body they drove it to just started work on it one week ago. Awesome.

f3eeeae7fec83d290404998f6cee7fb7c47cece5-1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Skione65
I am most worried about ice with narrow clearance between brake caliper and rim. Have you every parked your car (any car) outside on a cold day snowy day, then when you drove the car again and hear the wheels making a rhythmic sound? What happened is ice froze onto the rim and now you have unbalanced weight on the wheel. With brakes barely clearing the rim, that ice is going to hit the brake caliper. Hey, just realized maybe all is good. The brake will dislodge the ice off the wheel and all will be fine, assuming the brake can handle being smashed by ice.

Have you considered looking at the 245/40R19 tire size? This opens up a lot more options for you.

Not psyched to spend extra $$$ to get 19 inch tires either. I'm scared to even drive my car when its dry with the summer tires when the temperature is below freezing since I saw this on TireRack

The low temp warnings for the performance tires really freaked me out also, I was lucky enough to call TSportline and get my 18" set changed to the 19" set on Nov 12. They arrived on the 16th (only 5days!!) and I put them on myself immediately and I've been driving every day since.
Looks like the black 19"s are still in stock at TSportline. They're also doing Black Friday right now, which will make the 19"s about the same price as the 18"s.

This video helped relieve some of my panic over freezing temps and the Pilot Sport 4Ss
Hope it helps.

With my setup there is maybe 3mm of clearance on the rear caliper, lots of clearance (5mm+) on the fronts. I've driven tighter setups on my Evo in NYC slush/ice without problems, and I actually think running tighter brakes it may help prevent unbalanced wheels which I have definitely experienced when ice gets stuck on the inside of the rims. YMMV.

IMG_20181122_102858.jpg
IMG_20181122_102940.jpg

Last edited:
For people who are doing the install / swap themselves some tips:

1) Drive the front of the car up on 2x8s. With the puck adapter you can just sneak in a low profile jack that way.
2) Either grab the lug not cover from two opposing ends and firmly rock it off, or use the supplied tool that's in your glove box (works great).
3) The OEM lugs are on real tight. Either use a breaker bar before you jack up the car or use a good impact (I had to turn up the PSI on my 600 ft lb IR in order for them to spin off readily). I did NOT re tighten that tight. YMMV. Feel free to tighten to the 129 ft lb spec.
4) The threads on the studs are dry, which I personally do not like. If you plan on changing the wheels a lot, apply slight grease staying away from the brakes (I use nickel anti-seize)

In all pretty straightforward, the only thing I'd love to fix is the wheel-gap but with ground clearance already low I think I will live with it.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with TSportOnline and took the advice of taking advantage of the Black Friday deal. Thanks for the tip from HBDesiato! The deal takes away some of the pain. Cancelled my order for the 18 inch wheels and bought the 19 inch wheels with winter tires and TPMS. Wheels are black which I'm not totally sure about, but kind of cool to have silver in summer and black in winter. At this point I just want to get something going. I was swayed by the TSportOnline wheels being hub centric and not requiring spacing rings etc. The extra inch of clearance makes me feel better also. Still costs a lot compared to the TireRack deals. Shipping is $260! I know, it's a Tesla, I should just get used to it. Gotta pay to play.

Reactions: HBDesiato
Hey everyone, I see that a lot of people are getting TPMS sensors from TSportline and or TireRack and or Tesla directly. I just want to let everyone know that you can get them from a TMC member here @SomeJoe7777 . I got mine from Amazon at about $25 each and then had them sent to him for programming.

They got back to me in good time (Priority Mail) and with the crazy delays on the 18" TSportline Wheels, I had to cancel and go with another set as the mornings here for my commute were starting up in the teens and 20". If my Summer Pilot 4s were damaged or cracked in anyway that I would have a premature need to change them in the future, the delay on a winter set would cost me way more in addition to the higher cost of the wheels I was waiting for.

Either way, the thread for the discussion is here:
Found Least Expensive Compatible TPMS Sensors - $25.50/ea

And the service post is here:
For Sale: Programming Service for Autel TPMS Sensors - $25

On the overall winter setup for now, I've been lucky to finally have my setup up and running the last week!

Between rebates on tires, and saving on TPMS, My total cost for an 18" set of winters is at about $1830.

Peace of mind now that the temps for my AM commute have been colder (Less than 40˚ daily and around 15˚-20˚ as I leave in the AM).
Save on potential excessive wear on the summers.
Safety Always
18" Diameter for a "Better" and more affordable (Tires) setup
Overall cost savings in general. For me though, the overall benefit was being safe vs sorry.

Just wanted to post my experiences for this winter season in my P Model 3 with PUP.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777