Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
this story looks terrible, did you get good answers ? IF any ...

Maybe this could be brought to Elon's attention through twitter ?

People have suggested the Tweet approach, but I've always assumed they were joking. I have maybe 5 total followers on Twitter, so I am assuming he'd never even see my tweet with my account not being anywhere close to an influencer level at all.

Tomorrow is the big day when I am scheduled to take delivery of the new P3D+, and they even confirmed in writing that I am getting the full refund via check with no deduction for mileage at all (636 mi.) and no deduction for the $7,500 EV credit either. 100% refund including sales tax. They said the check should arrive in early January.

I took delivery of M3P+ mid December before the tax rebate died. NOBODY told me I had ultra high performance summer tires on it (Michelin pilot sport 4s). I was not asked to sign a waiver and not a word of caution was uttered. I thought they were all season for a few weeks. Then the snow tire/wheel search began. I went with Tire Rack (they are usually quite accurate). They had a nice selection of 18" and 19" rims that would fit the car with the big brakes. I picked a low cost set of 18's by MODA and Michelin X-ICE 235 / 45R18's. They shipped in two days and had hub rings already inserted in the wheels. Unbolted the stock wheels and bolted these on - no issues. The new wheels did have cavity backs so the odd nut on the rotor hat was cleared. Tire Rack's literature said the remove it, but I left it on - no issues I am aware of. Torqued down to 129 and got in the car. Car noticed I had changed the wheels. It asked for the wheel size the recalibrated. Note that Tire Rack set the pressure at 32 and the M3 sensors warned of low pressure. The M3 door sticker called for 42 so I pumped them up. No issues. Well balanced, rides nice, quiet, but softer steering response and I suspect a bit slower acceleration. I live in Cleveland Ohio and snow is a daily possibility from Nov thru April. I did store the summer tires in the basement as there are dire warnings about them cracking or chipping even if stored in cold, much less driven.

Here is my P3D+ at local ski resort this morning. Nice powder day! Wheels are from Vibe Motors from Savini SV F1 model 19 inch x 9 rim with Michelin Alpin 5. Initially the rim was not properly drilled but Vibe Motors and Savini worked together to have it solved. Now I can fully recommend this set up for new Tesla 3 performance owners for new winter solution.

EE070E9F-43EE-4A6D-81D7-69A6B0D1CF0B.jpeg

8BE7F9A0-3886-48D6-9FE1-25049DA5DB6E.jpeg

Pic of mine from recent East Coast storm. NOT impressed so far with snow handling.

Tires are the Sottozero II on the 20" package from Tesla, they stop great and track well, however there's too much rear torque bias and the rear end wants to come out in turns. Reducing power from Standard to Chill helped, but still not acceptable.

My X handles significantly better and is an absolute animal in snow. :(

View attachment 369455

Pic of mine from recent East Coast storm. NOT impressed so far with snow handling.

Tires are the Sottozero II on the 20" package from Tesla, they stop great and track well, however there's too much rear torque bias and the rear end wants to come out in turns. Reducing power from Standard to Chill helped, but still not acceptable.

Surprised to hear that complaint on an all wheel drive model with full snow tires. We have the performance version and have been pretty pleased with just Michelin 3 plus Pilot Sport all season tires - with the caveat that it's been mostly in light snow, slush and the like rather than a heavy blizzard type conditions

View attachment 369455

I agree that the model 3 performance tend to fishtail occasionally on snow more so then any other 4 wheel vehicles that I currently own. And it happens without any warning but luckily it instantly corrects itself and go about business as usual. I had to also put it in chill mode and steering wheel into comfy mode to moderate that behavior although still present. However, besides this and the clearance issues because of low profile, I am having so much fun on driving snow as long as not many other cars are on the road. Only if they had snow track mode to optimize it further.

I went with the F3s as I've had other wheels on previous cars that were similar already to the F2s. Both are pretty much 'classic wheel designs.' BTW Guy with the huge lifted truck had about a million questions and was so interested in Tesla's in general. I started talking to him about the semi and the truck too and they'll definitely be following more closely now. We're all brand ambassadors for sure...

View attachment 355058
I recently put on the Flow One F3’s and have been experiencing some strange issues. I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed it too. First, something seems to be causing the wheel and/or break to stick. For example, when I go from park to drive, the car doesn’t even inch forward. You can feel it is stuck on something. I have to push the accelerator to break through it. Then I hear a loud pop (really loud) and then it’s fine. There seems to be a correlation to how long I’m parked versus how sticky it gets. 6-8 hours mild stick, 24-48 hours big stick. Strange.

I should note I live in the northeast where there is more salt than snow. But I have never heard anything like this before. There also seems to be orange residue building up on my wheel. I can’t imagine this is rust as I’ve only had the car for a month. Also strange.

Any Sherlock’s out there that can solve the mystery of the sticky wheel?

Attachments

• C664BB2A-471F-4B68-B8F0-A1C84182701E.jpeg
    C664BB2A-471F-4B68-B8F0-A1C84182701E.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 165
I recently put on the Flow One F3’s and have been experiencing some strange issues. I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed it too. First, something seems to be causing the wheel and/or break to stick. For example, when I go from park to drive, the car doesn’t even inch forward. You can feel it is stuck on something. I have to push the accelerator to break through it. Then I hear a loud pop (really loud) and then it’s fine. There seems to be a correlation to how long I’m parked versus how sticky it gets. 6-8 hours mild stick, 24-48 hours big stick. Strange.

I should note I live in the northeast where there is more salt than snow. But I have never heard anything like this before. There also seems to be orange residue building up on my wheel. I can’t imagine this is rust as I’ve only had the car for a month. Also strange.

Have the same occasionally. Agree that I think it’s due to light rust after sitting a little combined with the fact the we have so much Regen and my brakes are rarely used except when fully stopped at light for ‘brake hold”.

Ski

Yup.. It's all of these replies. I even went to Tesla Service and they said it's normal. Especially with cooler temps where the car will be experiencing greater changes in temperatures (ie night/day or garage vs outside)...

Made 2 trips to winter conditions with my 18 inch Nokian WR G4 (See post #713Parioca, Dec 17, 2018 for set up details).
That included a return from South Lake Tahoe to San Francisco via Echo Pass last night in a pretty heavy snow fall (1 to 2-inch an hour a times) before any plowing took place.

These all-weather, 3-peak rated tires performed extremely well with the AWD traction of the Perf. I am really impressed.
Note: I did not drive faster than 30mph in the snow and did not attempt brusk acceleration . Tires handled slush and heavy rain very well too.
Switching to low regenerating braking makes the ride a bit more serene. It is recommended by Tesla but may be not a must if you control the pedals smoothly.

Surprised to hear that complaint on an all wheel drive model with full snow tires. We have the performance version and have been pretty pleased with just Michelin 3 plus Pilot Sport all season tires - with the caveat that it's been mostly in light snow, slush and the like rather than a heavy blizzard type conditions
These are all season not the stock performance Pilot Sport 4S right? The stock Pilot Sport tires are literally rated to potentially crack under 40F.

"Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

Those who have gotten by with them in cold weather are probably lucky but the life of the tire could be seriously degraded. I switched to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 235/35ZR-20 in October. Although probably not as efficient as the 4S, the reason for this being:
  • Advanced Helio+ Technology to help the tires stick even in cold weather conditions with concealed biting edges for grabbing on to loose snow during fast starts and stops
Yes that is some marketing terminology, but nonetheless. The tires are designed for light snow and there is not really a noticeable difference. Except you know they're not going to crack. Maybe I should have gone with the Pirelli's but I didnt want to replace the wheels and spend another $4,000 on the winter tires (call me crazy or something!). But to be honest, you could probably put winter continentals on the car or some no name brand and it would work. I specifically went with these because 1) they're winter rated and ALL weather rated 2) tire tread warranty from Michelin which Tesla isn't even honoring but Michelin will. Thinking about it I may switch back to the 4S in May when I get around to it, but Im actually quite happy with the warranty and extended warranty I've got on the rubber. Theres no point buying tires from Tesla at this point.

The A/S 3+ isn't quite as good as the PS4S for performance, but it's infinitely better than them if it's below freezing... (though not nearly as good in significant snow/ice as "real" snow tires would be)

All weather means it's gonna be inferior in all weather to dedicated seasonal tires, but save you the trouble of swapping wheels/tires seasonally.

Pilot Sport 4S have lasted me all winter in well below freezing temps. Multiple ski trips. Still waiting for them to crack.

Traction sucks in snow, of course. But I go into snow specifically for fun.

P.S. yes, chains on all 4 wheels. yes, Tesla says blah blah wheel well clearance, blah blah tires cracking. Still going strong.
1F3265CE-485E-4158-831F-13A4A1F3BB9C.jpeg

Attachments

• 078A3900-D2BF-4EE7-96C8-D95837842F1E.jpeg
    078A3900-D2BF-4EE7-96C8-D95837842F1E.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Pilot Sport 4S have lasted me all winter in well below freezing temps. Multiple ski trips. Still waiting for them to crack.

P.S. yes, chains on all 4 wheels. yes, Tesla says blah blah wheel well clearance, blah blah tires cracking. Still going strong.
View attachment 384794

Just keep it under 45 mph when it gets over 90F come summer. I’m sure they won’t blow out too badly.

View attachment 384794

I'd be particularly concern of chains on the front wheels due to the clearance with the suspension on a P3D+. Putting my hand around the back of the front tires and I'd see the chains definitely would eat into the suspension. I've put chains on the rear though without too much issue.