Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Vs. Audi RS3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
19 mpg in the city if you drive it like a baby you need to keep asleep. 30 or worse if you drive it like you'll drive a 3 since you just can't help yourself. I don't know the price of gas in Boston vs. electricity, but I drive my S and 3 with a lead foot without even thinking about it -- and no one hears you take off fast from a stop and turns their heads to look at you (like a cop). There's nothing like the instant torque and silence of electric. Plus, only me in the HOV. I'm never going back.
I look forward to it

I'm not so sure there is a big difference in performance. I think traction control on EVs is certainly easier to implement (since you can directly control torque generation), but ICE cars also have many levers they can use besides just the throttle (brake force, fuel injection for individual cylinders, boost control solenoid in turbochargers etc.). Would be interesting to hear an expert opinion on that. In any case, I know from experience that it's very easy to launch modern ICE cars without losing traction.
I have driven the Model 3 (both the RWD and the AWD-P) and the BMW 240i XDrive (which, I assume, is probably similar to the RS3). Both of them were an absolute blast to drive, but in different ways. You can definitely feel the weight of the Model 3 when cornering.
Not sure this qualifies as an “expert opinion” but it corroborates my statement about traction control latency on ICE vehicles:
Why Are Teslas Quicker Than Gas Cars? | CleanTechnica

Configured an RS3 for the hell of it. Would be an interesting “what if” in a non Tesla world.

73K MSRP for 3.9 seconds.

P3 requires no added options to come completely loaded. Cheaper than RS3 even on best negotiating day.

If you care about your kids you pony up $350 for optional air bags on RS3 lol.

Not close at all to a P3.

Last edited:
I’ve been told the Bolt has a bigger back seat than the Model 3. I’m like no one is getting laid in one so wants the point? :D

Personally I think a big advantage of the Tesla is its a great daily driver / family car that also happens to be super quick.

Also in all the real world driving scenarios the P3Ds EV torque is going to feel way faster.
0-60 (without high revs and launch control)
5-60
30-50
50-70
etc

I hope OP test drives both and reports back on his choice.

I look forward to it

I wish I was looking forward to a "P" one too. But when they rushed the RWD ones up here to take advantage of our rebates (mostly Ontario's now gone $14k rebate) and with this damn mortality thing us humans have, and only about 20 or so good, healthy summers left for this human (knock wood), I just couldn't wait -- and a wait it would really be for us up here. I thought by the time we got the 3s up here, AWD and P, would be out. When they surprisingly rushed them to us, and moved "late 2018" to early June if I "buy now", I just couldn't say no. But I'll sure be envious seeing the Ps on the roads when they arrive up here. How anyone can consider an Audi RS3 over a P3 is a head shaker for me. I'd even take a RWD 3 over that ICE -- unless I can take it, sell it, buy the RWD 3, and pocket the difference. But you won't find me driving it. Too last century.

I wish I was looking forward to a "P" one too. But when they rushed the RWD ones up here to take advantage of our rebates (mostly Ontario's now gone $14k rebate) and with this damn mortality thing us humans have, and only about 20 or so good, healthy summers left for this human (knock wood), I just couldn't wait -- and a wait it would really be for us up here. I thought by the time we got the 3s up here, AWD and P, would be out. When they surprisingly rushed them to us, and moved "late 2018" to early June if I "buy now", I just couldn't say no. But I'll sure be envious seeing the Ps on the roads when they arrive up here. How anyone can consider an Audi RS3 over a P3 is a head shaker for me. I'd even take a RWD 3 over that ICE -- unless I can take it, sell it, buy the RWD 3, and pocket the difference. But you won't find me driving it. Too last century.

If you got in on the rebate, I would be flipping that for the P3.

Losing the rebate has an externality of raising used car prices.

My problem with "fast" ICE cars is that they aren't fast unless you bring them up into their power band which isn't practical. Yes, in an all-out race, a modded RS3 could hang with the P3D, however, in every day driving, realistically, what percentage of the time would the RS3 engine be in it's power band? Maybe 1% of the time vs. 99% of the time in the P3D. You can advertise all the peak HP numbers you want, but what really matters is the actual real world (usable) power and ICE cars are not fast unless you wind-out the engine. Some have decent low-end torque but nothing like an Tesla.

RS3 peak horsepower is at 5,800RPM. Who drives around at that RPM and what kind of gas mileage would you get if you did?

Reactions: Candleflame
Hmmm I wonder where’s better to take my Hellcat to trade , and get it over with now ?! Besides car max lol

To clarify, TRADE IN VALUES FOR TESLA'S @ TESLA suck.

None Tesla's, you can shop elsewhere and if its a dealer, Carmax, etc, I believe Tesla will match. Never did it but paraphrasing the experiences of others.

• Informative
Reactions: Sg911
God this looks good for $75k! Better option than Performance 3

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/a5/2019/2019-audi-rs5-sportback-review/

I like how the article ends with:

If you want autobahn-storming performance and genuine practicality in a premium midsize package, it's the only game in town. But one worth the price of admission.

Here's my answer:

If you want autobahn-storming performance...

I need to be in Germany to take advantage of that. 40 km/hr over the speed limit here and your car is impounded 7 days, plus a huge fine and storage costs while impounded. So top end speed is that not important to me. But I do like fast, silent, instant torque -- that doesn't drain my wallet as I press my foot down. If I'm in need autobahn performance, I also need the autobahn, or a track, both things that I don't use, as well as most others.

... and genuine practicality in a premium midsize package, it's the only game in town.

I don't find going to the gas station "practical" at all, especially when I can get my fill of electrons at home. When I used to pull into a gas station with an ICE, the last thing that went through my mind was "genuine practicality". But, come to think of it, those words aptly describe my S and 3. The same applies when it comes to the "only game in town." Those words clearly only apply to Tesla.

But one worth the price of admission.

There's not only the price of admission with that ICE, but oil changes, brakes, transmission and so many unnecessary moving parts, plus that weekly (at least) gas station fill-up, that up here drains our wallets much more than electricity does. Then drive it nice or you'll be getting gas twice a week. Plus, no one foot driving and no HOV. No thanks to that price of admission for me. Not worth it at all to me.