Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Vs. Audi RS3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your comment had me intrigued enough to sign up here and ask a bit more. :)

I previously owned and tracked an R8 V10, traded up to a 911 GT3, which I love dearly. Currently considering replacing my Audi S4 with a Model 3 and debating whether performance or AWD.

Curious what some of the main reasons for not looking back are, from someone with similar experience. Is it the torque? The gas savings? I haven't yet had a hybrid or EV, so I don't have any context to compare. Was just curious.

Weirdly enough, I bought out modified Carrera S (GT3 Aerokit & Shifter upgrade, H&R suspension, TubiStyle Exhaust, Wheels, etc) AFTER having our MS P90D for almost two years. I was secure in that BECAUSE we loved the Tesla so much. The lack of maintenance, speed, and yes, 'filling up' at home made me appreciate the joys of EV ownership, but also made me look at just what I WANTED an ICE car to do.

Bluntly, nothing else does all around fun, general purpose 4-door car as well as an EV, and the only ones that handle worth a damn and look good are Teslas right now. You only would need the AWD Model 3 to match your S4, but get the P3D if you can. I think you'll actually appreciate your GT3 MORE when you have it.

I liken them to watches. I LOVE my daily, an LG Urbane Android watch. But because of that, I also love my self-winding mechanical watches even more, and I'm planning to upgrade to better ones.

@Shizzrock - This YouTube comment says it all (and I’ve heard this same sentiment with Porsche owners, etc. as well)

Attachments

• 0B97DB97-81EA-4C0A-99F5-A6F5033EF596.jpeg
    0B97DB97-81EA-4C0A-99F5-A6F5033EF596.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: Arpe and Shizzrock
Just drove the P3D. Its a nice combination of platform stability without the small bump harshness of my P85DL (not that I'm complaining). Acceleration was comparable with good passing performance. I did not launch the car so I can not compare the P3D launch with my car. Overall its very nicely done and likely going to give the BMW M3 some serious headaches :)

Reactions: gavine
Just drove the P3D. Its a nice combination of platform stability without the small bump harshness of my P85DL (not that I'm complaining). Acceleration was comparable with good passing performance. I did not launch the car so I can not compare the P3D launch with my car. Overall its very nicely done and likely going to give the BMW M3 some serious headaches :)

A totally awesome strategy is for Tesla to prowl around BMW/traditional auto dealerships and follow their test drive cars and smoke electrocute them.

From a 30 minute test drive on 8/1 and roughly an hour driving today, the acceleration feels like I would expect. More specifically, the P85D-Insane is rated at 3.2 with rollout and the Performance 3 is rated 3.5 (and measured at 3.3 with rollout). In other words, just slightly less quick than P85D-Insane but much more fun in the turns.

Reactions: MXWing
I went and test drove a P3D today and liked it a lot. I purposely didn't lay on the pedal too much since I didn't want that to cloud my judgement. I got on the freeway and passed some, so I know its there. :)

According to them, the expected delivery window for P3D, Performance Upgrade, and black interior is still ~2 months. I'm unsure about that from what I've read here. But we'll see. Working on the numbers and will see if I pull the trigger. Didn't drive the AWD, but I did like the performance package and 20" wheels over the AWD with 19s.

Reactions: MXWing
Yeah- laying on the pedal during a P test drive is what convinced me I didn't need to spring for the P (that and seeing the P vs AWD 1/4 mile run with trap speeds within 2-3 mph of each other)

Yeah, I am leaning towards non-P as well. the 1/4mi and the "BMW M3 vs Model 3" thread have made the decision easier. Pedal feel will be fun enough with either. I like the general aesthetic of the Performance Upgrade package, but can get bigger rims and lower the car for far less than $15k. But I think the AWD is worth it over the RWD.

Again... holding period is what matters. Keep car long enough and you can justify the bigger spend more easily. :)

If you'll almost never use the quicker stoplight acceleration on the P you'll never be able to justify paying for it regardless of keeping the car 5 years or 10 years.

Not to mention the opportunity cost of what else besides buy a feature you'll almost never use you could buy with the extra money over a longer period of time versus a shorter one.

Not to mention the opportunity cost of what else besides buy a feature you'll almost never use you could buy with the extra money over a longer period of time versus a shorter one.

I agree... or the practical half of me agrees. The kid in me wants the P3D+, but the practical side hasn't been able to justify it. :)

For me, the Model 3 will be a departure from norm. Used to do 20k mi/yr, now do 10k mi/yr. My routine was buy used at ~30k mi, drive it for a few years, sell it with 80-90k, before its high mileage or what not. This would be a new car, and one where I'm not sure the wear and tear. The main risk is probably something else new and shiny comes along to tempt the kid in me.

I originally started with a AWD model, but after thinking a few days I changed to P3 with Aeros.

Likely only the performance models will have the track mode, so there's one thing going for P3. Also if you use my referral code, you'll get free super charging on your P3, another great freebie that lessens the impact of the additional cost.

Then I drove a P3+ and was totally blown away by the package offered. The silence, the speed, the style, and the tech all sealed the deal for me. I'll be doing my own wheels, suspension and perhaps brakes through the aftermarket.