Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Vs. Audi RS3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree... or the practical half of me agrees. The kid in me wants the P3D+, but the practical side hasn't been able to justify it. :)

For me, the Model 3 will be a departure from norm. Used to do 20k mi/yr, now do 10k mi/yr. My routine was buy used at ~30k mi, drive it for a few years, sell it with 80-90k, before its high mileage or what not. This would be a new car, and one where I'm not sure the wear and tear. The main risk is probably something else new and shiny comes along to tempt the kid in me.
There is never a practical reason for 3.5s 0-60 vs. 4.5s 0-60 other than making the kid happy. :D

I went to the store and scheduled a test drive for Saturday. I sat in the store model and one thing that really surprised me was the quality of the display. It's super bright and high resolution. And the way the doors open on the inside is the best of any car, there is no car door that opens as cool from the inside

Reactions: Gavyne
I wonder if his incident on the hill had anything to do with the quality of the stability control on the Ps :)

For the record, I've learned the hard way myself about getting in too hot and lifting abruptly. That applies to driving was well.
Looks awesome. I would have preferred this to the screw in version but I check with my local wrap place and they said the pp can’t be wrapped and it would hold. Good luck.

The thing that is most mind blowing for me with electric is the accessibility to power. In the RS3 (or any high powered turbo car), you are going to need to work for it a little... The M3P, you just literally step on it...no lag, just pure thrust. If you do a lot of high-speed pulls at 80-140mph, then yea, I'd probably rather have an RS3, but for daily driving and autocross, the M3P is in another realm.

• Love
Reactions: gavine
The thing that is most mind blowing for me with electric is the accessibility to power. In the RS3 (or any high powered turbo car), you are going to need to work for it a little... The M3P, you just literally step on it...no lag, just pure thrust.

A mate of mine has an RS3. The "slop" in the drivetrain is incredible. When you put the pedal to the floor, it takes around 2 seconds before it starts pulling with full steam.

First it has to downshift, then it has to increase RPMs, then the turbo spools up, then it hits boost... Just too much slop which seems to take an eternity.

The Tesla is essentially instant.

Reactions: gavine and Jejunjm
A mate of mine has an RS3. The "slop" in the drivetrain is incredible. When you put the pedal to the floor, it takes around 2 seconds before it starts pulling with full steam.

First it has to downshift, then it has to increase RPMs, then the turbo spools up, then it hits boost... Just too much slop which seems to take an eternity.

The Tesla is essentially instant.
I mean sure. On the other hand consider all the glorious sounds it makes doing all of that. Do they me wrong, I love my M3P but part of me wants some of that drama. An M3 or and RS3 are certainly worthy competitors. Not much else but those 2 in particular always have my attention.

Once you drive a Performance Model 3, you will likely not want to go back to any ICE cars. So I guess the choice is yours, are you ready to take that leap and say goodbye to yesterday's technology and gas?
For me it was leasing a Leaf that made me not want to go back to ICE. Hence I now own an M3P. For the OP, I nearly bought an RS3 about 3 years ago and I'm so glad I didn't since this was before I turned the page on ICE.