Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Vs. Audi RS3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For your 'only' car? As much of an VW/Audi fanboy as I am, I STILL have to go P3D, even though I'm in love with both the RS3 (I grew up loving the sound of 5-cylinder turbos) and the RS5 (just LOOK at it). However, after my test drive of the P3D a few weeks back, I'm convinced. They fixed EVERYTHING I don't like about my Model S (materials quality, fit and finish, smell, HANDLING) and put it in a cheaper package. The RS3 feels like a good, but cheaper car with that amazing engine in it.

I was actively contemplating a mid-size ICE super-sedan to replace our Model S next year, but....yeah no. It's THAT good. Believe the hype.

It seems that the $70 k builds of Model3 performance are first - of the 4 there today in Charlotte ... they were all $70k plus (mine is only $69,500 lol)
The issue is that Tesla hasn't built any P3D+ w/ Black Interior:

pubchart

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Your comment had me intrigued enough to sign up here and ask a bit more. :)

I previously owned and tracked an R8 V10, traded up to a 911 GT3, which I love dearly. Currently considering replacing my Audi S4 with a Model 3 and debating whether performance or AWD.

Curious what some of the main reasons for not looking back are, from someone with similar experience. Is it the torque? The gas savings? I haven't yet had a hybrid or EV, so I don't have any context to compare. Was just curious.

I previously owned and tracked an R8 V10, traded up to a 911 GT3, which I love dearly. Currently considering replacing my Audi S4 with a Model 3 and debating whether performance or AWD.

Curious what some of the main reasons for not looking back are, from someone with similar experience. Is it the torque? The gas savings? I haven't yet had a hybrid or EV, so I don't have any context to compare. Was just curious.

That's a good question. I originally got the i3 strictly as a commuter vehicle. Keep in mind my R8 was a fully loaded V10 w/ CCB - I then added a ton more carbon fiber bits, custom leather upholstery, and Capristo exhaust. But over time, I found myself driving my R8 less and less, even though it's much more powerful than the i3. I think it's a combination of instant torque, high tech (car of the future!), no trips to the gas station, and near zero maintenance that did me in. I ended up driving the i3 everywhere, even on weekends. My only wish was that the i3 was faster and had a sleeker body. I think a P3D+ fulfills all of my wants, so here I am :)

Many reasons for different people. For me, it’s the performance (torque and general power delivery) and convenience of charging at home. The first time you drive a Tesla, you’ll understand immediately.

I used to have a few fast ICE cars - I am glad there's a fast car which doesn't burn fuel and add to those woes... I know, I'm the only response that called out the environmentally friendly bits of EVs?

They are pretty nearly immediately fast, at least the good ones, and that's worth a lot..

I'm not so sure there is a big difference in performance. I think traction control on EVs is certainly easier to implement (since you can directly control torque generation), but ICE cars also have many levers they can use besides just the throttle (brake force, fuel injection for individual cylinders, boost control solenoid in turbochargers etc.). Would be interesting to hear an expert opinion on that. In any case, I know from experience that it's very easy to launch modern ICE cars without losing traction.
I have driven the Model 3 (both the RWD and the AWD-P) and the BMW 240i XDrive (which, I assume, is probably similar to the RS3). Both of them were an absolute blast to drive, but in different ways. You can definitely feel the weight of the Model 3 when cornering.

Any expert will tell you that the traction control in an EV is superior.

On a Tesla you can get the same 0-60 in wet or dry condition. Try that on the RS3..

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA

You really owe to yourself to drive one. If there is not a showroom near you the National Drive Electric week is coming in mid September. EVs have instant torque and response and with the battery sitting low they are a joy to drive. Then with the fuel costs 1/3 of gas an maintenance about half that only adds to the savings. Finally the environmental impacts are huge. Even if powered by grid power the emissions are half that of gas. If you go solar the they are practically emission free.

Reactions: gavine and Msjulie
You really owe to yourself to drive one. If there is not a showroom near you the National Drive Electric week is coming in mid September. EVs have instant torque and response and with the battery sitting low they are a joy to drive. Then with the fuel costs 1/3 of gas an maintenance about half that only adds to the savings. Finally the environmental impacts are huge. Even if powered by grid power the emissions are half that of gas. If you go solar the they are practically emission free.

Yeah, I had a voicemail from Tesla's Dublin, CA store a week or two ago about scheduling a test drive. I tried calling them twice now, but their sales just rings and rings. Maybe try again after lunch and then call their Walnut Creek location. :)

I am curious about test driving one. But also timing may suck or may be good. We were just starting out on building an addition on the house, and it'd include some electrical upgrades, so good if looking at adding a circuit for an EV. But also bad terms of still figuring out the estimate and financing on the addition to then be looking at replacing a car, and hold off for too long and the tax rebate starts getting phased out. :/ We'll see.