Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when charge to 100%, it charges to 307 miles

Ok so assuming the top two pictures were after a charge to 100%, looks like you lost 32 rated miles to vampire drain (not 25 rated miles). Everything else above is still correct. This is pretty normal. Depends how long it was since your last charge and what you used (Sentry, Climate On, Dog Mode)

And your range based on your lifetime efficiency is 284 miles. FWIW, which is not much.

here are pictures from my M3 after 28.2 update....

View attachment 442366View attachment 442369

this was charging after the 100% charge......note 294 wh/mi

View attachment 442368

Total mileage on car.....overall 249 wh/mi........this was all with 90% charging

View attachment 442367

this was after short trip.....started off at 945 wh/mi then settled down at 280 wh/mi

Yesterday, I went 120 miles after charging to 90% after the first 100% charge and was told that it should come back to the normal 249-279 range soon.....I just don't understand all of this....I do know that everything was different after the 28.2 software and the first 100% charge....hope things settle down

There is a bug in 28.2 that is being patched with 28.3, that patch is rolling out now.

I’m curious to know what your lifetime Wh/mi is. It must be some sort of record.

Before giving the answer, you could make it some sort of multiple choice poll.

My guess is 600Wh/mi lifetime over 10k miles.
The answer was already posted earlier in this thread:

But over half of those miles were on efficient aero wheels so now that I switched to 265x19 tires all around the consumption will get worse.

The answer was already posted earlier in this thread:

But over half of those miles were on efficient aero wheels so now that I switched to 265x19 tires all around the consumption will get worse.

Ah...had forgotten you had posted that. And you have a P3D Stealth. Still, not as impressive as I thought. Seems like you'll be pushing 500Wh/mi or more with the 265 width wheels though. Good for 140 miles or so if you do it all in one shot from a full charge.

Repeating my recommendation to never use the brake when traveling more than 5mph if you want to see better numbers. ;) Though probably with those wheels 300Wh/mi is likely your lowest possible result, so 240 miles is probably the absolute best you could do (might be a bit optimistic).

Anyway, sounds like everything is normal. It's a great car, lots of range. Be careful out there.

My performance model came with aero wheels. P3D stealth. So yes they were sliding all over the place.

See above. Had forgotten which vehicle type you have (even though it is right in your signature...sort of...wasn't sure what P3D# meant). Too much to keep track of in this thread.

Probably you're feeling much better with the 265 width tires (which tire again?) now, with your driving style!

Ah...had forgotten you had posted that. And you have a P3D Stealth. Still, not as impressive as I thought. Seems like you'll be pushing 500Wh/mi or more with the 265 width wheels though. Good for 140 miles or so if you do it all in one shot from a full charge.

Repeating my recommendation to never use the brake when traveling more than 5mph if you want to see better numbers. ;) Though probably with those wheels 300Wh/mi is likely your lowest possible result, so 240 miles is probably the absolute best you could do (might be a bit optimistic).

Anyway, sounds like everything is normal. It's a great car, lots of range. Be careful out there.
I actually tried my hardest yesterday to go as efficient as possible. Did not use brakes at all above 5 mph and ramped up like a snail off every stop. Best I could do is 315Wh/mi, but that is the kind of driving that would piss people off so realistically if I drove like most people, super chill, my average would probably be around 350Wh/mi. So I am not that far off with my current average now between 430-500Wh/mi. So you were right on with the 500 guess as being the upper end.

BTW, how do you calculate you range based on Wh/mi consumption? Formula?

Did not use brakes at all above 5 mph and ramped up like a snail off every stop. Best I could do is 315Wh/mi, but that is the kind of driving that would piss people off so realistically if I drove like most people, super chill, my average would probably be around 350Wh/mi.

Seems reasonable. 200-mile range with those wheels & tires seems pretty conceivable. A lot will depend on the speed of travel on the freeway, but it'll be in that ballpark.

BTW, how do you calculate you range based on Wh/mi consumption? Formula?

310rmi * 230Wh/rmi / (displayed efficiency in Wh/mi) = range in miles (this is obviously assuming you have a full charge).

If you want to do it from your current state:

Battery Gauge rmi * 230 Wh/rmi / (displayed efficiency in Wh/mi) = remaining miles

Caveats:
AWD (Constant is apparently lower for the RWD vehicles though I've never checked myself)
Assumes your efficiency is reasonably constant which is often not the case.
Related to above, doesn't account for hills
(You can reset your trip meter at the time you do the calculation I guess and then use the ongoing efficiency - if it's worse than your efficiency when you did the calculation, you'll have less range, if it's better, you'll have more)

For you it seems like the Consumption page over the last 5/15/30 miles would probably be your best best - though as far as I can tell that is slightly optimistic (by about 5%), for reasons I don't understand. It also has the same issues with it not being able to account for future driving conditions/elevation (unlike the Trip page).

Last edited:
Reactions: chinedu40 and Perry
Seems reasonable. 200-mile range with those wheels & tires seems pretty conceivable. A lot will depend on the speed of travel on the freeway, but it'll be in that ballpark.

310rmi * 230Wh/rmi / (displayed efficiency in Wh/mi) = range in miles (this is obviously assuming you have a full charge).

If you want to do it from your current state:

Battery Gauge rmi * 230 Wh/rmi / (displayed efficiency in Wh/mi) = remaining miles

Caveats:
AWD (Constant is apparently lower for the RWD vehicles though I've never checked myself)
Assumes your efficiency is reasonably constant which is often not the case.
Related to above, doesn't account for hills
(You can reset your trip meter at the time you do the calculation I guess and then use the ongoing efficiency - if it's worse than your efficiency when you did the calculation, you'll have less range, if it's better, you'll have more)

For you it seems like the Consumption page over the last 5/15/30 miles would probably be your best best - though as far as I can tell that is slightly optimistic (by about 5%), for reasons I don't understand. It also has the same issues with it not being able to account for future driving conditions/elevation (unlike the Trip page).
Good info. So the battery gauge in miles is always calculated with 230 Wh/mi rated? Kind of useless. It would be nice if there was an option for battery gauge to show miles left based on last 30 mile consumption. Do you know how the estimated range upon arrival is calculated?

So the battery gauge in miles is always calculated with 230 Wh/mi rated? Kind of useless.

AFAIK yes. I don't find it useless. I just want to know how much energy there is. If the range is changing based on driving habits it is annoying. I've had this in a prior EV. I don't like it.

Do you know how the estimated range upon arrival is calculated?

The Trip Page:
It takes into account elevation changes on your route (according to physical formula I assume). It takes into account approximate speed (according to an aero model I assume). As you've complained about earlier, it doesn't appear to account for driving style particularly quickly. You'd have to compare the estimates on the Trip Page when you type in the destination before driving vs. when you plug it in while you're en route. It's not clear to me whether it ever properly accounts for a massive increase in rolling resistance or whether that introduces a constant error. Similar for changes in your aero profile (like aftermarket wheels which can be quite inefficient aero-wise) - they would screw up the aero model they use when calculating efficiency based on speed. Anyway, simply have insufficient experience with it to tell you what you can do to your car and driving style to really mess up the estimates.

The Consumption Page:
Projected Range: It's related to the formula I provided above but it seems optimistic. I don't know whether it's off by an offset, or a scale factor, though.

It would be nice if there was an option for battery gauge to show miles left based on last 30 mile consumption.

Tesla actually does compute this value and makes it available through the API, so if you have an app such as Tesla Remote, you can see it under "Estimated".

The screen shot below is from Tesla Remote for my P3D:

IMG_7272.jpg

Tesla actually does compute this value and makes it available through the API, so if you have an app such as Tesla Remote, you can see it under "Estimated".

View attachment 442716

It's also on the consumption screen. I assume it matches the API value. Again, note, I believe this 30-mile estimate to be somewhat optimistic - based on how I know the rated miles click down - but whether it's a scaling issue or an offset, I do not know.

View attachment 442716
I looked at the API and didn't see that. Maybe the app itself is calculating this based on passed usage.

Looked at both Android and Apple store and did not see this app. What's its official name?

charged twice since viewing this post. still getting 310 to 315 range. Avg Kw/Mi = 235. commute: weekday 8 miles @ 50-55 mph avg. weekend: 80 miles @ 70 mph.

To me, since my house hold owns 2 model 3s, its pretty much the driver that sets the tone for your mileage. When I have to use my wife's car, i improve her avg kw/mi. This doesn't mean i drive like a grandma, I just don't try to beat everyone off the green light...which it seems she does. I also start my gen breaking way earlier than hers. Even at a traffic light that just turned yellow, she's still accelerating instead of cruising and letting the regen do its thing.

Both our Model 3s are the older ones from March 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.