Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a 30-mile route. You posted a 10-mile Trip estimate. That's a 1600-foot descent and you got 400Wh/mi on it. Impressive!

It's hard to be definitive/accurate because the picture is incomplete. There are no mysteries here though.
The destination for that trip was down the hill to the 101 highway so don't count the part beyond that. Anyway it is what it is. It could easily be fixed in a few minutes since it's just a formula and they have all the data needed to calculate things properly but they don't use it.

My main point is to throw some cold water on all here saying how amazingly accurate the estimator is. Not so much.

Last edited:
I agree. But start out with an estimate where one element of the equation is past consumption behavior (as a base line) and then adjust from there based on road conditions, terrain, and all other factors you mentioned. I don't think Tesla looks at that at all which I think is a flaw because in my case, and probably others, this parameter they are leaving out is the one that happens to be the most influential if the goal is a correct estimate.

I don't think it would be that hard. I am sure they start out with a seed base line consumption value in their equation upon which they apply their other variable calculations. It is obvious that this seed value is constant. All they would have to do is make that seed a variable instead based on life time consumption per user profile. Or if not life time, in case the user changes behavior or hardware, make it last 3000 miles. This simple value would take into account all behavioral and physical changes because it is one indicator that catches all.

It would not have been as bad if their base line seed consumption value to start the calculations from would have been 430Kwh and then calculated up or down from there based on terrain, weather, and all the other variables.

No I have not but it takes a lot of effort on my part and often I can't take certain routes because I am low and there are no SC stations in certain areas so it limits my driving.

Its an easy fix. I could fix it if they'd let me. I am a senior software engineer and work on things similar to this. It is an order of magnitude easier to fix this than doing silly things like the fart app and lame game ports I would never play in my car.

I don't think the focus is in the right place and that is making the car's basic operational roles function properly.

I don't disagree with you, and I'm hopeful that Tesla will make improvements. They do list their route planner as beta. Heck it doesn't even do way points yet. It would be one thing if they said "here it is, that's what you get." but it's beta so that infers that it's not a complete project.

Please give A better route planner a try. It's been a fantastic resource to me for long distance travel. It tells you where to charge, how long and whats there when you do. You set the variables and it can get real time data from your car to do some of what you are looking for. Make sure you open the advanced settings. Given your profession, you'll be able to fine tune it.

The destination for that trip was down the hill to the 101 highway so don't count the part beyond that. Anyway it is what it is. It could easily be fixed in a few minutes since it's just a formula and they have all the data needed to calculate things properly but they don't use it.

My main point is to throw some cold water on all here saying how amazingly accurate the estimator is. Not so much.
I was under the impression that the trip estimator does update based on your driving while you drive, so your main complaint is that it starts out assuming you are going to be near EPA Wh/mi? I guess basing it off lifetime Wh/mi would be okay for the folks that haven't put lots of miles on their car yet. In my trip to Florida I stopped early to charge at the very beginning of the trip because I didn't believe the trip estimator, on my trip I learned that it was slightly pessimistic.

That's not bad. Honestly, I am worried about it now because I just got the car but I did the same thing with my BRZ. After a week or two I remembered I bought the car for the "smiles per gallon" and not the miles and I am sure it'll happen here too.

Pretty sure that's what Tesla is counting on, but still very wrong to advertise at 310 EPA or whatever, they should add a disclaimer and I am thinking to report this to CA Attorney General so others don't feel this way. And I am pretty sure they removed PUP exactly for this reason... as now they can claim 310... problem is the folks that bought into with PUP that kills 20-40 miles real world.

Pretty sure that's what Tesla is counting on, but still very wrong to advertise at 310 EPA or whatever, they should add a disclaimer and I am thinking to report this to CA Attorney General so others don't feel this way. And I am pretty sure they removed PUP exactly for this reason... as now they can claim 310... problem is the folks that bought into with PUP that kills 20-40 miles real world.
They didn't remove the PUP, it is now included with the performance option by default.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA
Heck it doesn't even do way points yet. It would be one thing if they said "here it is, that's what you get." but it's beta so that infers that it's not a complete project.
No way points probably bothers me even more. I want to take a certain mountain road to go from A to B and want to see if I have enough battery for that path but I can't because it chooses only the fastest route.
Please give A better route planner a try. It's been a fantastic resource to me for long distance travel. It tells you where to charge, how long and whats there when you do. You set the variables and it can get real time data from your car to do some of what you are looking for. Make sure you open the advanced settings. Given your profession, you'll be able to fine tune it.
Last time I tried it it was super slow in the browser. I'll have to give it another try now that Chromium is the new browser. Does it have way points?

No way points probably bothers me even more. I want to take a certain mountain road to go from A to B and want to see if I have enough battery for that path but I can't because it chooses only the fastest route.

Last time I tried it it was super slow in the browser. I'll have to give it another try now that Chromium is the new browser. Does it have way points?

Yes it does, but I have a standard + so no browser in the car. I just plan the routes either on my phone or home computer. You can't send way points to your Tesla's navigation yet but at least you know where you are going and where you are going to need to stop. Works great and it's always getting better. Once Tesla allows way points (and they are working on it) then you will be able to send your whole trip to the car.

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Now you can add stops along the way if you like, you can also tell the planner how much charge you want to have when you arrive at your destination or the min charge you want to get to before you stop at a charger.

I just open that last photo on my phone and at each stop add the next stop to my cars NAV.

Now about 50% of the time yes but that doesn't do much for consumption. I have not seen it be any more accurate in its estimation of miles in or out of track mode. Its bad all around. The problem is that there is no learning algorithm to adapt to your driving. It should calculate the estimate based on you life time per mile consumption which is a great indicator of how the car will be driven under given profile.

I don’t think it should do it on lifetime. Seasonal consumption changes a lot for most people. It should be based on the Last rolling 30 days or so, that would be plenty accurate.

My Nav predictions are on the money but it might be because I get slightly better than 310 range (P3D-). I don’t drive like a nut case. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ibGeek
Today this happened 3rd time... other 2 times, took to service for them to tell me is a bug solved on the firmware update.. what now? any chance a defective motor is discharging my battery? lol

Did anyone have gotten this alert before? Already gone the alert... but I scheduled service just in case. TO be honest not sure if I will go with this... I mean it's beens 2-3 weeks I got back from service... does this applies to lemon law? if they can't fix this in 30 days? If so I need to take to service ASAP.

IMG_7209.JPG

here are pictures from my M3 after 28.2 update....

upload_2019-8-15_22-56-2.jpeg
upload_2019-8-15_22-57-33.jpeg

this was charging after the 100% charge......note 294 wh/mi

Total mileage on car.....overall 249 wh/mi........this was all with 90% charging

this was after short trip.....started off at 945 wh/mi then settled down at 280 wh/mi

Yesterday, I went 120 miles after charging to 90% after the first 100% charge and was told that it should come back to the normal 249-279 range soon.....I just don't understand all of this....I do know that everything was different after the 28.2 software and the first 100% charge....hope things settle down

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA
That part could easily be applied as a modifier after the past consumption raw calculation by the car computer if Tesla wanted to.

I’m curious to know what your lifetime Wh/mi is. It must be some sort of record.

Before giving the answer, you could make it some sort of multiple choice poll.

My guess is 600Wh/mi lifetime over 10k miles.

Last edited:
Today this happened 3rd time... other 2 times, took to service for them to tell me is a bug solved on the firmware update.. what now? any chance a defective motor is discharging my battery? lol

Did anyone have gotten this alert before? Already gone the alert... but I scheduled service just in case. TO be honest not sure if I will go with this... I mean it's beens 2-3 weeks I got back from service... does this applies to lemon law? if they can't fix this in 30 days? If so I need to take to service ASAP.

View attachment 442362

It looks temporary. I thought it was the total time in service cumulative is relevant for that Lemon Law.

here are pictures from my M3 after 28.2 update....

View attachment 442366View attachment 442369

this was charging after the 100% charge......note 294 wh/mi

View attachment 442368

Total mileage on car.....overall 249 wh/mi........this was all with 90% charging

View attachment 442367

Seems fine. If you charged to 100% (300rmi?)
300rmi start point
145rmi-24rmi = 121rmi (end point)

294Wh/mi*120.4mi=35.4kWh

35.4kWh/230Wh/rmi = 154rmi

154rmi+121rmi = 275rmi

So you lost 25rmi to vampire drain, feature drain, etc.

Seems normal. Depends on the interval since the last charge.

I made some assumptions above, but seems very normal.

Your lifetime 249Wh/mi implies a range of 300rmi*230Wh/rmi/249Wh/mi = 277mi

But you would have to do nothing but drive. You lose a fair amount of energy just sitting around.

Seems fine. If you charged to 100% (300rmi?)
300rmi start point
145rmi-24rmi = 121rmi (end point)

294Wh/mi*120.4mi=35.4kWh

35.4kWh/230Wh/rmi = 154rmi

154rmi+121rmi = 275rmi

So you lost 25rmi to vampire drain, feature drain, etc.

Seems normal. Depends on the interval since the last charge.

I made some assumptions above, but seems very normal.

Your lifetime 249Wh/mi implies a range of 300rmi*230Wh/rmi/249Wh/mi = 277mi

But you would have to do nothing but drive. You lose a fair amount of energy just sitting around.

when I charged to 100%, it charged to 307 miles.....you are correct....average charge is to 279 all the time at 90%

Status
Not open for further replies.