Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not performing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand your decision, I came damn close to making the same choice, but have decided to stick with it - pretty confident that Tesla will sort it.... eventually 🤪
Sure I understand.

Maybe I'm older now but I just can't be ar5ed with the hassle of it. Tesla should be paying me if they want me to beta test it, not the other way round :rolleyes:

Just know I'd be so incredibly frustrated if I was in the same situation as all these other people are with it... and to be fair there are a good number of similar reports now.

Reactions: Jez_GB
For what it's worth, I did a couple of runs 0-100km in my 2021 M3P at 06.30 today. Outside temperature 1C, car had been sitting on the drive all night. Drove 2 kms then did the runs 20% SOC - just had a stop watch in the car - no professional timing gear, car on the P Zeros - so not optimal grip. 1st run all heating etc. off 6.0, 2nd run aircon set to 22C 6.1. Teslalogger shows the max power at 262BHP- only just set it up so not sure how reliable that is.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I did a couple of runs 0-100km in my 2021 M3P at 06.30 today. Outside temperature 1C, car had been sitting on the drive all night. Drove 2 kms then did the runs 20% SOC - just had a stop watch in the car - no professional timing gear, car on the P Zeros - so not optimal grip. 1st run all heating etc. off 6.0, 2nd run aircon set to 22C 6.1. Teslalogger shows the max power at 262BHP- only just set it up so not sure how reliable that is.

Power reduction to ~6sec 0-60 at 20% charge level doesn't seem too harsh. Who in their right mind is caning the car when they've so little charge left? The other consideration here is that range drops significantly during acceleration, so 20% could quite easily become 14%, which could become 7% and then 0% if it was sustained?

Power reduction to ~6sec 0-60 at 20% charge level doesn't seem too harsh. Who in their right mind is caning the car when they've so little charge left? The other consideration here is that range drops significantly during acceleration, so 20% could quite easily become 14%, which could become 7% and then 0% if it was sustained?

I'm afraid I don't agree. Whats more the previous Performance battery didn;t do it so the new one shouldn't, or at least not to the extent it does

I think we can also debate what "caning it" means. If its "max throttle", then 6s to 60 is caning it if your foot is flat to the floor. If you had a 1l Nova and hit 60 in 6s most would suggest you've caned it, thats whats happened here in the Tesla, so its not the time it take, its how hard you press the go pedal.

I'm afraid I don't agree. Whats more the previous Performance battery didn;t do it so the new one shouldn't, or at least not to the extent it does

I think we can also debate what "caning it" means. If its "max throttle", then 6s to 60 is caning it if your foot is flat to the floor. If you had a 1l Nova and hit 60 in 6s most would suggest you've caned it, thats whats happened here in the Tesla, so its not the time it take, its how hard you press the go pedal.
I would agree this is very subjective. I know that personally I would accept if there was an identified and clear drop in performance at a fixed percentage of say 25% to save battery life and prioritise range, based on other things i have read this would likely be at 20% along with Sentry mode turning off etc.

A constant reduction in performance as the battery depletes is a totally different thing and as mentioned doesnt appear to happen in LR models nor in the 2021 M3P i test drove.

Hopefully when the MiC performance cars arrive and i get mine this wont be so much of an issue but i expect it may well be.

Reactions: btc1k
Haven't the guys in the US had any M3P 2021 cars delivered, some states in the US are way colder than here, seems weird there is not more of a kickback on that side of the pond, I ask as I assume the car in question here was a Fremont built car and this degradation in the US would typically always leads usually to a lawsuit as does everything in the US.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of the comments or observations above, but for me there is one very simple metric which should hold true regardless of the state of anything.....

An M3P should out perform an M3LR in every instance - and that is not what we are seeing!

Reactions: Doudeau
Sorry to hear your pain @jliver33 - hoping it is a SW issue and gets sorted soon

One thing that I'm not sure about (and i may be barking up the wrong tree) is this 0-60 at 3.1s for the Performance. Tesla "Advertise" this on their website with no *(asterisks) and foot notes to go with it. The only one i could see was regards the time and how it is achieved "3.1 sec* - *With first foot of rollout subtracted."

If you look at the WLTP, it tells you that what’s stated depends on a load of factors etc. the 0-60 has nothing that tells you this depends on Temp, SoC etc.

Soooooo is this not a false advertisement (Statement)?

Anyway im off to order my Broadband - "average speed*******" anyone!

Reactions: Durzel
I suspect Tesla will address this in some fashion by adjusting/optimising the scavenging of the heatpump , as it would seem that it is taking too much heat from the battery (hence the dots) than is desireable, at least on the P.

No one has a MIC M3P yet, so all anyone knows it might not even be a problem on that.

Everyone's circumstances and tolerance levels are different on this. There is a big price delta between LR and P, so if one were paying a lot extra per month or buying outright then I'd expect it to raise serious questions. The P should be faster than the LR in all cases, and with pre-2021 cars there isn't much in it between a LR+Accel Boost and P, so if the 2021 LR is more performant at most SoCs that would be a rather silly state of affairs.

I suspect Tesla will address this in some fashion by adjusting/optimising the scavenging of the heatpump , as it would seem that it is taking too much heat from the battery (hence the dots) than is desireable, at least on the P.

No one has a MIC M3P yet, so all anyone knows it might not even be a problem on that.

Everyone's circumstances and tolerance levels are different on this. There is a big price delta between LR and P, so if one were paying a lot extra per month or buying outright then I'd expect it to raise serious questions. The P should be faster than the LR in all cases, and with pre-2021 cars there isn't much in it between a LR+Accel Boost and P, so if the 2021 LR is more performant at most SoCs that would be a rather silly state of affairs.
Yeah but at least you get the spoiler! (until is falls off)

Forgive me for thinking that if you got a P, you would expect it to be faster than the LR in all circumstances... Remember the figs show that <40% the LR is actually quicker than the P.

Who buys a P to then not be able to use the extra power half the time? and if you're buying the P then you also probably prioritise performance over range, I would guess...

Haven't the guys in the US had any M3P 2021 cars delivered, some states in the US are way colder than here, seems weird there is not more of a kickback on that side of the pond, I ask as I assume the car in question here was a Fremont built car and this degradation in the US would typically always leads usually to a lawsuit as does everything in the US.
Well you see what you want to see. 13 pages on the Tesla site of complaints, multiple threads in every Tesla forum and owners club (including here), Youtube videos,.... spreadsheets compiled, comparisons done.

I'm just glad the information was out there, would have been a massive disappointment for me otherwise.

Forgive me for thinking that if you got a P, you would expect it to be faster than the LR in all circumstances... Remember the figs show that <40% the LR is actually quicker than the P.

Who buys a P to then not be able to use the extra power half the time? and if you're buying the P then you also probably prioritise performance over range, I would guess...

Don't get me wrong here, there is something definitely incorrect in the programming of the power limiting on the 2021 Model 3Ps as indicated, but what I was getting at would be to compare it to my previous vehicles.

BMW M3, Lotus Elise SC, BMW M140i - if I ended up with 1/5th of a tank of fuel left, the last thing I would want to do was to start driving it hard. My butt gets twitchy when it gets to 40%, let alone lower!

The LR always seems to outperform the P in the strangest of ways - £120 per month cheaper, better in-motion acceleration, seemingly more stable power bands regardless of % Charge... only negative would be the brakes overheat (although who is using them with 1 Pedal Driving?) and that it doesn't have the alloys and suspension that the M3P has.

Strangely, the LR is meant to have inferior/inefficient electric motors when compared to the P too.

Don't get me wrong here, there is something definitely incorrect in the programming of the power limiting on the 2021 Model 3Ps as indicated, but what I was getting at would be to compare it to my previous vehicles.

BMW M3, Lotus Elise SC, BMW M140i - if I ended up with 1/5th of a tank of fuel left, the last thing I would want to do was to start driving it hard. My butt gets twitchy when it gets to 40%, let alone lower!

The LR always seems to outperform the P in the strangest of ways - £120 per month cheaper, better in-motion acceleration, seemingly more stable power bands regardless of % Charge... only negative would be the brakes overheat (although who is using them with 1 Pedal Driving?) and that it doesn't have the alloys and suspension that the M3P has.

Strangely, the LR is meant to have inferior/inefficient electric motors when compared to the P too.

Agree.

I guess from a physics point of view - and this is the same with ICE cars - once you get into the realm of a 4 sec 0-60, you need an ever increasing amount of power to achieve marginal performance gains.

I was surprised to see, in one of the Carwow videos, that the LR had a shorter stopping distance than the P as well. I guess the extra inch on the front discs would just help with cooling as you say - you'd have to be driving pretty mental to have a brake overheating problem on UK roads 🤣

Could someone explain why the blame is being put against the heat pump? apologies if it's in one of the posted videos as I've not watched them.
The sole purpose of a heat pump is to reduce the current draw for heating (and provide cooling). In uk weather (so +5/10 degrees around now) I'd still expect around a 2x return on energy-in to heat-out. So if anything the current draw on running a resistive heater and/or inefficiently running the motors on a 2019 model should have more of an impact on available power to the motors than a heat pump system on the new cars. What am I missing?