Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T I would prefer to have max battery off for all tests, since I really don't think realistically anyone is actually going to use it in the real-world ..

Yes, cold data @90%, or maybe 90% overnight charge and then cold soak down to ~50F, is more what's missing. That curve needs data at higher charge states. Otherwise, the 'Ready' state can be hastened by accelerating, instead of waiting out the pop-timer.

Bummer about December, if true. Thanks for sharing. 7.07 down to 6.41, 0-90, have been from memory for a while now.

Tesla is not obligated to update performance for P85DL beyond what has been advertised and measured so far (essentially 0.2 better in 0-60 and 0.2 better in 1/4 mile). It can either be from hardware differences between 90kWh and 85kWh battery or an artificial differentiation between P85DL and P90DL (to maintain a value gap).

There is a conspiracy theory that Tesla is limiting the P90DL right now in order to get people to commit to the P85DL (such that performance matches in the initial comparisons as it does now) and then after all the P85DL orders have been filled, Tesla will unlock the full performance for P90DL.

Yep, and that theory is making less and less sense with the passing of each minute.

I believe my P85D is third. My appointment was 12/2 and my car was returned on 12/7. So far I have only had a chance to try it on my short highway commute, but I am quite happy with the performance. Launching up a particular sloped on-ramp is noticeably better, even with a cold battery. It is difficult to add more than a subjective opinion on short notice, versus the wealth of information previously posted, but if another data point is useful then here is another satisfied customer. I believe most people willing to pay for a P85D in the first place will find $5k represents good value for the results achieved.

I believe my P85D is third. My appointment was 12/2 and my car was returned on 12/7. So far I have only had a chance to try it on my short highway commute, but I am quite happy with the performance. Launching up a particular sloped on-ramp is noticeably better, even with a cold battery. It is difficult to add more than a subjective opinion on short notice, versus the wealth of information previously posted, but if another data point is useful then here is another satisfied customer. I believe most people willing to pay for a P85D in the first place will find $5k represents good value for the results achieved.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing.

This is great. I would prefer to have max battery off for all tests, since I really don't think realistically anyone is actually going to use it in the real-world outside of track runs given the huge amount of time it takes to prep.

Incidentally, I have a non-upgraded P85D with pano roof and standard 19s and live in San Mateo if you happen to find yourselves in need of a P85D to test against...

Thanks for the offer! I think we're covered as I have the exact configuration you do (see my sig) but you're more than welcome to join if you're interested. I can add you to the flurry of PMs (private messages), just let me know :biggrin:

great forum name

MarcG:

Can you summarize what the configurations of the P85D, P85DL and P90DL cars will be that will be doing the tests?

I imagine you all want the State of Charge to be as close as possible and are you going to pay attention to the payloads in the frunks and hidden rear trunks and driver weights?

Also, if tires and wheels differ, how are you going to "normalize" that?

I suspect, being CALI cars some are wearing grippy 21" summer meats and others 19" all seasons?

Will the same test equipment move from car to car?

PS: Qubits.... welcome & congrats on the upgrade... where have you been? Noticed this was your FIRST post... usually when you butt can feel the difference in performance then a certain amount of additive torque presents itself. Sounds like you can feel the difference. Nice.

Last edited:
MarcG:

Can you summarize what the configurations of the P85D, P85DL and P90DL cars will be that will be doing the tests?

I imagine you all want the State of Charge to be as close as possible and are you going to pay attention to the payloads in the frunks and hidden rear trunks and driver weights?

Also, if tires and wheels differ, how are you going to "normalize" that?

I suspect, being CALI cars some are wearing grippy 21" summer meats and others 19" all seasons?

Will the same test equipment move from car to car?

PS: Qubits.... welcome & congrats on the upgrade... where have you been? Noticed this was your FIRST post... usually when you butt can feel the difference in performance then a certain amount of additive torque presents itself. Sounds like you can feel the difference. Nice.

I can only comment on my config, so I'll let Yo Mama/Sorka/Pete90D/Thimel/GG_got_a_tesla speak to theirs.

Please refer to my signature for all the details of my non-upgraded (yet), INSANE-only P85D config. Note that I recently got the tires replaced with the same Michelin Primacy all-seasons that came with the car, so they probably have 2,000 mile on them.

I can only comment on my config, so I'll let Yo Mama/Sorka/Pete90D/Thimel/GG_got_a_tesla speak to theirs.

Please refer to my signature for all the details of my non-upgraded (yet), INSANE-only P85D config. Note that I recently got the tires replaced with the same Michelin Primacy all-seasons that came with the car, so they probably have 2,000 mile on them.

As I recall, you venture up into snow country that so those 19" All Seasons are a sane choice for your use. Here in New England, we opt for the same and in looking at the summary sheet of orders, one can deduce that many P85D's have the 19" wheels as well. I am pretty sure Pete90D has 21", not sure if staggered.

BTW, MarcG, are you "scheduled" for the P85DL upgrade? If so when?

As I recall, you venture up into snow country that so those 19" All Seasons are a sane choice for your use. Here in New England, we opt for the same and in looking at the summary sheet of orders, one can deduce that many P85D's have the 19" wheels as well. I am pretty sure Pete90D has 21", not sure if staggered.

BTW, MarcG, are you "scheduled" for the P85DL upgrade? If so when?

Not yet, my local SC just confirmed they won't be doing upgrades so I need to check with Fremont on timing.

- - - Updated - - -

I just realized ... I have a $1000 referral credit that will expire EO2016. I'm not planning to trade in my P85D for a while and I wasn't planning on getting the Ludicrous upgrade, but for $4k I would. Thoughts?

PM sent! :wink:

Someone may have already posted this and I missed it but 2.9.40 has Launch Mode
9b8d5a81ff31faefb303c0d09e39a162.jpg

Score one for MotorTrend and the magical launch mode.
Time for our P85DL testers (and Fiks) to get a software update.
I'm really hoping this is the update we have been missing.
I would have forgotten if you didn't mention it. Everyone thought Motor Trend confused Max Battery mode as a launch control mode. Now it seems obvious this may have been what they were referring to. Gives credence to the theory Motor Trend got a car with newer software.

The notes bring up a couple of interesting questions. One would be if the battery has to actually have reached the ready state via the max battery power option, or if just starting the heating is enough to be able to use the launch mode. Another would be if perhaps the notes are including the stuff about max battery power just because Tesla figures if someone is using launch mode they are trying to get every last tenth out of the car, and Tesla wants to help people achieve that, when in actuality launch mode could be used even with max battery power not engaged. (This would be preferable, since it would give us more flexibility.)

We'll have the answers soon enough, I'm sure.