Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded my P85D to Ludicrous and don't regret it for a second .... it may not get more on resale but if I was looking for a used one and there was a comparable one .... maybe a bit higher ....with Ludicrous it would be a no brainer .... :) The L is much more fun and responsive in the mid speed ranges also ..... and on take off they freeze the brain anyway .... :)

That's the point I was trying to make elsewhere.

Reactions: davidc18
My car was upgraded a few weeks ago.( finally and only because the main fuse began to fail and had to be replaced anyway) The car feels stronger in the midrange but I do notice I don't seem to register over400 KW upon hard acceleration on the dash(ludicrous and max battery engaged) I thought the upgrade would pull 450KW. Also on another note the slip start button grayed out and would not let me disengage it for a day, but then fixed itself. Anyone have an opinion?

My car was upgraded a few weeks ago.( finally and only because the main fuse began to fail and had to be replaced anyway) The car feels stronger in the midrange but I do notice I don't seem to register over400 KW upon hard acceleration on the dash(ludicrous and max battery engaged) I thought the upgrade would pull 450KW. Also on another note the slip start button grayed out and would not let me disengage it for a day, but then fixed itself. Anyone have an opinion?

You need a more precise measurement. The most cost effective way that I know to get that is to use PowerTools for Tesla (compatible with IPhone/IPad). Charge to 95%, max battery on.....I think you will see above 450 kW.

• Informative
Reactions: P85DEE and davidc18
Last night I bettered my 1/8 mile elapsed time by .004 seconds by doing 7.066 compared to my previous best of 7.070 at Irwindale Speedway. My speed was 96.85 mph, also a new record for my P85DL. What was unusual was that I made 6 runs starting at 98% and ending at 88% and my slowest run was 7.165 so all runs were within .1 sec and 1 mph. All my runs used slip start and I beat everyone. The last 2 races were against a modified Malibu with a big block, headers and raised manifold. He said his best was 7.2 sec but he lost traction and did 7.4 both times.

This effort took some time as I left my house at 12:00, arrived at Burbank Supercharger at 1:00, waited 5 minutes for an open space, charged for 2 hours and 40 min from 10% to 99%, drove one hour to Irwindale Edison Charge Point, charged for 1 hour and 30 min from 89% to 100%, arrived at track 6:15, first run 7:08, last run 9:45 and home at 11:00. But I enjoyed talking to all the people and showing off my Tesla. Ludicrous Teslas are made to run not just look pretty.

Last night I bettered my 1/8 mile elapsed time by .004 seconds by doing 7.066 compared to my previous best of 7.070 at Irwindale Speedway. My speed was 96.85 mph, also a new record for my P85DL. What was unusual was that I made 6 runs starting at 98% and ending at 88% and my slowest run was 7.165 so all runs were within .1 sec and 1 mph. All my runs used slip start and I beat everyone. The last 2 races were against a modified Malibu with a big block, headers and raised manifold. He said his best was 7.2 sec but he lost traction and did 7.4 both times.

This effort took some time as I left my house at 12:00, arrived at Burbank Supercharger at 1:00, waited 5 minutes for an open space, charged for 2 hours and 40 min from 10% to 99%, drove one hour to Irwindale Edison Charge Point, charged for 1 hour and 30 min from 89% to 100%, arrived at track 6:15, first run 7:08, last run 9:45 and home at 11:00. But I enjoyed talking to all the people and showing off my Tesla. Ludicrous Teslas are made to run not just look pretty.

And a lot of running you did.

Left the house at 12:00, got to the Supercharger at 1:00, waited 5 more minutes, then spent another 2 hours and 40 minutes to charge at that Supercharger, drove another hour to another charger, then spent 1 hour and 30 minutes at that charger, got to the track at 6:15, waited another 53 minutes to make the first of a grand total of 6 1/8 mile passes.

7 hours and 8 minutes to make 6 1/8 mile passes and knock 0.004 seconds from off of a prior best.

I'd say for a fact that you got in a whole lot of Ludicrous running.

Last edited:
This effort took some time as I left my house at 12:00, arrived at Burbank Supercharger at 1:00, waited 5 minutes for an open space, charged for 2 hours and 40 min from 10% to 99%, drove one hour to Irwindale Edison Charge Point, charged for 1 hour and 30 min from 89% to 100%, arrived at track 6:15, first run 7:08, last run 9:45 and home at 11:00.

Wait, what? You spent 2 hours and 40 minutes at a Supercharger, only to drive 1 hour (60-70 miles?) and spend another 90 minutes at a Supercharger? I apologize for being judgmental, but what were you thinking? Why not spend 40 minutes and get ~92% full, drive your one hour, spend another 40 minutes? Or even better, leave your home with a 100% full battery after charging overnight, drive 2 hours, and spend 1 hour recharging, total? And under what circumstances do you need to sit at a Supercharger for 2 2/3 of an hour?

edit .. just noticed your second charging stop wasn't a Supercharger, so that explains SOME of it. But still, the other details make little sense to me. Is the Burbank Supercharger that slow?

Wait, what? You spent 2 hours and 40 minutes at a Supercharger, only to drive 1 hour (60-70 miles?) and spend another 90 minutes at a Supercharger? I apologize for being judgmental, but what were you thinking? Why not spend 40 minutes and get ~92% full, drive your one hour, spend another 40 minutes? Or even better, leave your home with a 100% full battery after charging overnight, drive 2 hours, and spend 1 hour recharging, total? And under what circumstances do you need to sit at a Supercharger for 2 2/3 of an hour?

edit .. just noticed your second charging stop wasn't a Supercharger, so that explains SOME of it. But still, the other details make little sense to me. Is the Burbank Supercharger that slow?

If I read his post right, he indicates that he left the house at 12:00 and arrived at the Burbank Supercharger at 1:00. So that's 1hr of travel time.

He then waited 5 minutes for an open space then charged for 2 hours and 40 min from 10% to 99%.

So it looks that he is saying that he left home and drove for an hour, and arrived at the Burbank Supercharger with a 10% SOC, waited for 5 minutes, started Supercharging and it took him 2hrs 40 mins to go from that 10% SOC to a 99% SOC.

That's looking like 3hrs 45 mins from the time he left his house.

He drove some more, an hour he says, and that one hour drive was to Irwindale Edison Charge Point at 89% SOC, that puts him at 4hrs 45 minutes.

He charged for 1 hour and 30 min from that 89% to 100%. That's 6hrs and 15 minutes.

He then headed to the track and got there at 6:15. Remember he said that he left the house at 12:00. 6hrs 15 minutes makes it 6:15 which is when he says that he arrived at the track. The track must have been pretty close.

He then waited for 53 minutes and at 7:08, or 7 hours and 8 minutes into this exercise, made his first 1/8 mile, or 220 yard pass.

From 7:08 to 9:45, a 2hr and 37min period, he made a total of six 220 yard full power bursts.

After 9 hours and 45 minutes, the effort was over and he had improved upon his prior best 220 yard run by .004 seconds.

It took him from 9:45 until 11:00, or 1 hour and 15 minutes, to get home.

So about 11 hours total and an improvement over his previous best 220 yard time of .004 seconds.

Last edited:
To clarify the Burbank Supercharger has only 6 stalls and they are always full. Since they are used all the time they get hot and in fact it turned red but luckily I was able to move to another stall and continue the relatively slow charging. I could have charged at home but I like to use the superchargers when possible and I did not expect the slow charging as I have been there before. So I had a leisurely lunch, watched some TV at the Tesla showroom and talked to Tesla owners and mechanics. One said he was once at the Irwindale track and saw a Tesla run and when he showed the picture from his phone it was me.

The distance from my home in Thousand Oaks to Burbank is 45 miles, 22 miles from Burbank to Irwindale Edison Charge Point (30 amps) (afternoon slow traffic on the 210) and 5 miles to the track. Irwindale is the closest track (62 miles) and they have drags every Thursday night.

I go to the track for fun and racing against competition. The .004 improvement was a bonus that I did not expect as 6 weeks ago I was .03 slower than my best. I can tune in to the announcer on my radio and it is rewarding as he sais watch the all electric Tesla run as he is very fast even when he jokingly sais it is the worlds fastest golf kart.

Reactions: P85DEE
To clarify the Burbank Supercharger has only 6 stalls and they are always full. Since they are used all the time they get hot and in fact it turned red but luckily I was able to move to another stall and continue the relatively slow charging. I could have charged at home but I like to use the superchargers when possible and I did not expect the slow charging as I have been there before. So I had a leisurely lunch, watched some TV at the Tesla showroom and talked to Tesla owners and mechanics. One said he was once at the Irwindale track and saw a Tesla run and when he showed the picture from his phone it was me.

The distance from my home in Thousand Oaks to Burbank is 45 miles, 22 miles from Burbank to Irwindale Edison Charge Point (30 amps) (afternoon slow traffic on the 210) and 5 miles to the track. Irwindale is the closest track (62 miles) and they have drags every Thursday night.

I go to the track for fun and racing against competition. The .004 improvement was a bonus that I did not expect as 6 weeks ago I was .03 slower than my best. I can tune in to the announcer on my radio and it is rewarding as he sais watch the all electric Tesla run as he is very fast even when he jokingly sais it is the worlds fastest golf kart.

Great runs! Glad to hear the times are still improving. I'm driving down from Canada and hope to be back at Irwindale next month. I'm bringing my 19 inch wheels this time. Hope to see you out there!

My upgraded P85DL pulls 458 KW on max battery(same a a V1 P90DL) or without max battery if I've just supercharged to 90%(which isn't often).

Even before the L upgrade it would pull 414 KW warm without max battery.