Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And can people leaving glowing performance reviews please confirm that much of this is available without Max Battery enabled. Thanks!

In other threads people have been evaluating the power output with max battery power enabled, (and the temperature having been reached,) and also not enabled, and if my memory serves the differences in power output have not been significant.

In the video, there is mention of a "special code" needed to "unlock" this new mode.

This has me wondering if this "special code" has always been around and if this could possibly be what is needed to get the 10.9 performance capability out of Ludicrous.

That would go a long way towards shutting down some of the talk that the Ludicrous equipped cars cannot now, nor ever could do 10.9.

But if this video is to be believed, then it appears that there is something beyond just plain original Ludicrous. How one gets it, is not gone into. But those who have it, need a "special code" in order to access it.

Last edited:
In the video, there is mention of a "special code" needed to "unlock" this new mode.

This has me wondering if this "special code" has always been around and if this could possibly be what is needed to get the 10.9 performance capability out of Ludicrous.

That would go a long way towards shutting down some of the talk that the Ludicrous equipped cars cannot now, nor ever could do 10.9.

That's my thinking...although he also said he recently received a software update as well (doesn't imply its an OTA but a flash directly from Tesla)

That's my thinking...although he also said he recently received a software update as well (doesn't imply its an OTA but a flash directly from Tesla)

Well mine is going in day after tomorrow, Monday, for my Ludicrous upgrade. I intend to ask , but knowing the history of poor communication, I'm not expecting too much info on it when I get to my SC..

But if there actually is something else, I'd hate to have to go back for it. Also it would seem to be harder for them too, if the car has to be taken in to have it done. Think of all the P90D owners who would have to take their cars in to get whatever this is, .......that's if it is anything.

While it is true that they never promised equal performance between P85D and P90D , pure speculation follows here.

Perhaps if there is something here extra, some "special sauce" requiring a code sequence to activate it, maybe it requires going back to the SC, (with more money than the $5K already spent) to get it for P85D owners, but not P90D owners.

I'm still mystified as to how they could advertise 10.9 for the P90D Ludicrous, if it could never do that. Perhaps, and again, this is pure speculation, grasping at straws even, but perhaps, this explains it.

The "horsepower motorpower" thing can be explained as a misinterpretation, i.e. they can say, and apparently have said, that "horsepower motorpower" was not meant to be taken mean the same as "horsepower" as it pertains to EVs. But 10.9 seconds is 10.9 seconds.

But if there were some sort of code sequence necessary to extract more performance out of Ludicrous, well then why haven't we seen or heard of it until now, and with no official word on it yet?

Last edited:
yes, a very simple software code can raise max amperage for the Ludicrous fuses from 1500amp to something higher. it is all about long term testing and durability and if Tesla does release this "special sauce" then they are comfortable with the fleet having, say, 1700amp. That will be as big a difference as Insane to Ludicrous is.

non-Luda P85D's will remain at 1300amps due to fuse/contactor limitations.

ergo, per my earlier review even before all this Special Sauce buzz, anyone who has a P85D and doesn't do the Ludicrous update is seriously missing out.

GET THE LUDICROUS RETROFIT!!!

He's either totally full of it. Or there is an update coming that increases amperage by like 50 lol. I suppose they can update the new smart fuse without having to bring the car in.

With respect to the "he could be totally full of it" argument...

I know there is, but don't remember the details of, an easter egg that I believe does something like that maximum plaid thing they showed in the video that was supposedly the new "special sauce" mode being enabled. What they demonstrated...holding the ludicrous selection button for a few seconds...was not simply the easter egg, right?

Assuming that was not the easter egg, and assuming other cars with ludicrous mode don't do that when ludicrous mode button is held, either they really did something nifty with some video editing, or that car does have some different firmware on it.

With respect to the "he could be totally full of it" argument...

I know there is, but don't remember the details of, an easter egg that I believe does something like that maximum plaid thing they showed in the video that was supposedly the new "special sauce" mode being enabled. What they demonstrated...holding the ludicrous selection button for a few seconds...was not simply the easter egg, right?

Assuming that was not the easter egg, and assuming other cars with ludicrous mode don't do that when ludicrous mode button is held, either they really did something nifty with some video editing, or that car does have some different firmware on it.

Right after that segment, they cut the camera and discuss how they enabled the easter egg, THEN entered an additional code to enter the new mode. It is easy to miss, but there was definitely an additional step after the easter egg (that they cut from the video on purpose, due to NDA)

Holding down the Ludicrous button is a known easter egg. Entering a special code is a different thing, but a NDA should prevent from even discussing the existence of the feature. So either they are taking a risk or this is a fake thing.

However, last week I drove a loaner (P85 with autopilot) that had a drop-down menu titled "Performance Mode" (in the main screen, when pressing the T-logo button). The drop-down menu had the following options: 70, 90, and MAX. The software version was 2.14.66.

Has anyone else seen this drop-down menu called "Performance Mode"? My P85D with v. 2.15.16 does not have such an option. The P85 felt very quick, quicker than my old P85+ and somehow even more violent/instant than my P85D, but it has been some time since I had my P85+ so I can't be sure.

Here is a picture of what I mean with the "Performance Mode" selection. Anyone else seen this?

Attachments

• 2016-04-10 21.06.10.jpg
    2016-04-10 21.06.10.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 234
Right after that segment, they cut the camera and discuss how they enabled the easter egg, THEN entered an additional code to enter the new mode. It is easy to miss, but there was definitely an additional step after the easter egg (that they cut from the video on purpose, due to NDA)

Exactly.

That video has been edited from the point that the Easter Egg was shown to the point when they prepare to make the initial test launch.

Holding down the Ludicrous button is a known easter egg. Entering a special code is a different thing, but a NDA should prevent from even discussing the existence of the feature. So either they are taking a risk or this is a fake thing.

However, last week I drove a loaner (P85 with autopilot) that had a drop-down menu titled "Performance Mode" (in the main screen, when pressing the T-logo button). The drop-down menu had the following options: 70, 90, and MAX. The software version was 2.14.66.

Has anyone else seen this drop-down menu called "Performance Mode"?
My P85D with v. 2.15.16 does not have such an option. The P85 felt very quick, quicker than my old P85+ and somehow even more violent/instant than my P85D, but it has been some time since I had my P85+ so I can't be sure.

That drop down menu is used by Tesla associates when you do a test drive to mimic the various performance characteristics of each model. I did a P90DL test drive a few weeks ago and was shown this (and asked which I would like to try - at which point I just laughed).

I thought the video was fake. But then I read all the 200 plus comments which included comments from the driver. He has posted many videos so he is legitimate. His friends car had the secret sauce that is not yet available. He stated that 1/4 mile times will be less than 10 sec so the 10.9 claimed time might be attainable yet. But the upgrade may cost even more.