Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the video, there is mention of a "special code" needed to "unlock" this new mode.

This has me wondering if this "special code" has always been around and if this could possibly be what is needed to get the 10.9 performance capability out of Ludicrous.

That would go a long way towards shutting down some of the talk that the Ludicrous equipped cars cannot now, nor ever could do 10.9.

But if this video is to be believed, then it appears that there is something beyond just plain original Ludicrous. How one gets it, is not gone into. But those who have it, need a "special code" in order to access it.

Holy cow!! I just held down the middle T button for about 5 seconds and the white halo around it gets bigger and flashes. Then release and it says "please enter access code". P85, who has some codes?

Edit: realized it's the same access code screen as always, but really interested to see the performance options from the loaner pic. I wonder if the P85 will get some love or just P85d and p90d.

Last edited:
@sorka - there is a shot of the KW meter at 5:43, a good portion past the 400. Have not seen a ludicrous KW yet, so don't know how this compares to other Ludicrous cars

Thanks for that.

So from the video:

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 4.20.03 PM.png

at nearly full charge:
Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 4.23.37 PM.png
Clearly ideal miles, not rated but at least 90%

And then from a P90D.

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 3.08.08 PM.png

So not even as much as another P90D. The first image above from the video was probably not taken when max battery said ready otherwise it would have shown more like mine does just after I charge to 90% at a supercharger.

So I consider this proof that this was a hoax as the KW meter doesn't even show what a normal P85D L with a nearly fully charged AND heated battery shows.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
And can people leaving glowing performance reviews please confirm that much of this is available without Max Battery enabled. Thanks!

I've used it a few times. It's a heater, as far as I can tell. A cold car takes longer to get to warm. A warm car can take 5 minutes to 'Ready'. Just like the Volt, a warmer battery pushes more watts and is more powerful. I think most of us in the north might say the same thing.

Thanks, sorka. I think you presented the best evidence proving BS so far...

If the makers of the video really claim an improvement of over 1 second to under a 10 second quarter mile, I would call this a very probable hoax. Since it seems that even achieving the Ludicrous' claimed 10.9 second quarter mile seems impossible, it does not seem plausible that Tesla could suddenly achieve such a huge improvement and in the smaller-battery P85D nonetheless... achieving a 9.9 second quarter mile time would require approx. 1200 hp, which is far from the current 700-762 motor hp (which is further limited by the battery). A P100DL maybe, but I don't see hope for further improvements with the P85D(L). I hope this video is true, but I am not holding my breath. In dubio pro reo does not apply in this case. :)

Thanks for that.

So from the video:

View attachment 171545
at nearly full charge:
View attachment 171548 Clearly ideal miles, not rated but at least 90%

And then from a P90D.

View attachment 171547

So not even as much as another P90D. The first image above from the video was probably not taken when max battery said ready otherwise it would have shown more like mine does just after I charge to 90% at a supercharger.

So I consider this proof that this was a hoax as the KW meter doesn't even show what a normal P85D L with a nearly fully charged AND heated battery shows.

100kWh pack at 90%, assuming they add 10kWh like they added 5kWh for the 90, should be ~268 miles.

There is very little difference between the performance of an 85 and 90 kWh-Hr battery. The slight improvement is due to slightly less voltage sag on the 90. Extrapolating out to a 100 kWh-Hr would not provided a meaningful change in performance. There would have to be a significant change in chemistry/construction so as to provide a much lower source impedance to make a big change.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Fair point. But wk057 debunking it and his apparent certainty that they were making it up makes it seem more like a April Fool's Day prank that was late.

I saw the video before it was taken down and there was definitely nothing that clearly showed a secret sauce mode above ludi. Just that guy's commentary stating that there was a secret sauce mood. But then that guy also has a picture of himself sitting on the toilet in his promo video. Not appearing to be an authoritative source.

I was about to link to this video, to demonstrate the seat-belt to neck issue I was hoping the "refresh" would address. The guy featured (nerd?) ran his fingers up the belt more than a few times, to get it out of his neck. What good is "bio-weapon defense mode", if you can't breathe ;)

Last edited:
And can people leaving glowing performance reviews please confirm that much of this is available without Max Battery enabled. Thanks!
Max Battery "setting on" is required for Launch Mode, which I don't use that often.

Max Battery "actually completed" is something I've never used.

I left Ludicrous setting on permanently (like I left Insane setting on permanently before the upgrade).

Yes, the performance is noticeably better with Ludicrous over Insane without ever touching the Max Battery setting.

I was about to link to this video, to demonstrate the seat-belt to neck issue I was hoping the "refresh" would address. The guy featured (nerd?) ran his fingers up the belt more than a few times, to get it out of his neck. What good is "bio-weapon defense mode", if you can't breathe ;)

I had that issue as well. Someone on TMC recommended the following product, from Amazon. I purchased it, and have been using it, and I am quite pleased with it. Sure, it would be better if Tesla offered a solution, but until they do...

Currently $4.99 for a two-pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Masterlink-Marketing-Black-Seatbelt-Adjuster/dp/B004HMBK5G

51CKQnQMALL.SX304_SY500_CR,0,0,304,500_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SX304_SY500_CR,0,0,304,500_SH20_.jpg