Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance or LR Dual Motor for commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Floored from a standstill, the AWD elicits a "whooooaaaaa," whereas the P3D creates uncontrollable screaming, laughter, and "holy sh*t"s from first-time passengers. I love my AWD, but have minor buyer's remorse over not getting the P3D. I agree with the other posters who said to wait til the end of quarter and try to get a deal on a P3D.

Depends on how nice your ICE is. Both my Camry and Pilot are quieter and more comfortable than the Model 3.
The longer the trip, the less advantage the Model 3 has. I hate to say it as I love the car to be all but it doesnt.

Wow, a Camry and a Pilot.

Those are sensible, soulless, mind-numbing appliances.

Are you, by any chance, an accountant?

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: CAAD and TyH2009
That's simply not true. The P is not traction limited even with the MXM4s, so there's no acceleration difference between them and the PS4s on any model 3.

That said- the PS4s will stop the car a lot shorter than the MXM4s will, regardless of what version of the Model 3 they're on.

I have a P3D-, or Stealth. Back when it was available, it came with the same 18" aeros and Michelin MXM4's that come on the lower Model 3's.

Just got through a New England winter with them, and while I've had better all-season tires, they weren't the worst I've driven on.

Now that my lowering springs are on the way, I'll be dropping down ~1" and sporting afternarket 19s with the PS4s.

But there is nothing wrong with the MXM4s for daily commuting. Some might even prefer them if you get the OEM-style ones with the sound-deadening foam in them.

Or it may be the performance which by nature is stiffer and harsher ride. We owned a Camry and my in-laws have a new Accord I often drive. For us our RWD Model 3 is noticeably quieter, smoother, powerful and if one believes NTSA much safer. And I know I am doing my part in reducing our CO2 footprint as the Model 3 is 40% the emissions per mile of the cars you mentioned. 100% cleaner for the first 300 miles thanks to solar.

I think your cars are noisier than mine. I'm pretty surprised that the 2018 Camry XSE is much quieter especially in the back seat with 19" wheels than my Performance. Yes it is harsher riding but differed little between other Model 3's I sat in.

Then youre flat out wrong.
To expect substance from you? Maybe there's more issue with the 20" rims than I'd expect (I've never ridden on them) but on 18", with Pilot Sport 4S or MXM4, an 800 mile day trip in the Model 3 is like quiet trip to the grocery store. It is just flat out phenomenal at long trips. 350 mile trip to family that I used to semi-dread with the Camry XLE Hybrid, now it's a just-do-it thing without the fatigue washout to get over at the end.

Family friend, who works in marketing for dealerships and generally reels off a fairly healthy complement of ICE talking points, doesn't even try to take on this. :p

• Disagree
Reactions: CAAD
But there is nothing wrong with the MXM4s for daily commuting. Some might even prefer them if you get the OEM-style ones with the sound-deadening foam in them.

There's nothing "wrong" with them- but they will take an extra 20% or so distance to actually stop the car in an emergency compared to the PS4s.

Which is a difference large enough to be worth noting when people are making decisions about what tires to run.

BZZZZZZT, wrong. Flat out wrong. The P in stock configuration has issues with it but otherwise, unless you need a lot more cargo space than the Model 3 provides, for something specific you're bringing, I'd drive my Model 3, LR D, before anything else w/up to me and 3 family members.

I think this depends on travelling style. For me the Model 3 adds a fair amount of time to long road trips because I am not a fan of long stops.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I think this depends on travelling style. For me the Model 3 adds a fair amount of time to long road trips because I am not a fan of long stops.

We take a 625 mile trip to Virginia from MA. It's about 9:45 of driving, plus an hour and a half of charging, spread over 3 stops.

v3 Supercharging will cut that time in half. 3 stops of 15 minutes each. By the time I park, the wife and I pile out and grab the dogs, one of us walks the dogs while one goes to the restroom, then we swap dog and restroom duty, then get back in the car......with v3, the car will have been ready to continue the trip 5 minutes before we were.

• Disagree
Reactions: CAAD and Nocturnal
"If I use a tool incorrectly it doesn't work!"

Most of my Model 3 stops are between 20-25 minutes. That's "bio-break and stretch" long. Some are shorter, a few are longer if it fits having a power nap or I lined up a sit-down meal. Generally hit every SC and charge 10%-60%, unless one has an overriding logistics issue like it's well off the highway or it is a perpetually full one. And that's all with the old V2 times. Come the software update soon for the Model 3 it'll cut times by a few minutes. In a year or so when V3 will become more commonplace that'll slash the stops to a "rushed bio-break and stretch".

You do tend to be somewhat longer between endpoints BUT that time isn't actually useful at the end with the ICE anyway, as you're recovering from the effects.

Last edited:
I forget where it's posted, but Performance Model 3 will sustain power for much of the battery state of charge (assuming it's not too hot) whereas Dual Motor drops power every 15-20% State of Charge interval. Will slightly affect those spirited drives.

Will try to find the post with exact numbers.

Edit to add: The numbers are in a battery post of all things!? What is best for the battery?

The link you provide shows the power drop-off as SoC drops off for an AWD.

It makes no claim at all that the P is any different or better though (and I can't see how it could be- given the battery and motors are identical, and the P requires more battery draw to go quicker than the AWD)

You do tend to be somewhat longer between endpoints longer BUT that time isn't actually useful at the end with the ICE anyway, as you're recovering for the effects.

THIS!!!!! The MA to VA trip I referenced above is for Christmas. One year, we ended up driving down on Christmas Eve Day, and I drove the whole thing in the wife's Subaru.

Did it in 10 hrs 45 min, but I was a mess at the end because of traffic, weather, etc. We turned around 10 minutes later and went to Christmas Eve mass...someone else drove, but I almost fell asleep there, and then DID go to sleep when we returned back to the in-laws'.

The following year, I did the trip on Autopilot, and I was totally fine to continue my day once we got there, because EAP helped keep me somewhat fresh.

I so, so, so wish I had known the details of how the P- was going to play out. I wouldn't have punch Order instead of going back and changing the selection back to standard AWD.

one time when my impulsive nature paid off. I saw that 20's and summer tires were going to be mandatory on P3D+, so I decided to stick with having All-seasons at delivery.

Reactions: SammichLover
one time when my impulsive nature paid off. I saw that 20's and summer tires were going to be mandatory on P3D+, so I decided to stick with having All-seasons at delivery.
Yup. I never seriously considered the P+ because of the tires, they were throw-aways for me. The P- was the clear choice at the top but I balked at the $11,000 premium. I think that's what it was at the time, because AWD was only +$4K then. I couldn't make the "free supercharging" cover that (I've probably not used more than $200 in 7 months?), but if I had known the $5000 was coming back to me I would have gotten the P- and toughed it out through the 4-5 months of wondering when Track Mode was coming. :)

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
We take a 625 mile trip to Virginia from MA. It's about 9:45 of driving, plus an hour and a half of charging, spread over 3 stops.

v3 Supercharging will cut that time in half. 3 stops of 15 minutes each. By the time I park, the wife and I pile out and grab the dogs, one of us walks the dogs while one goes to the restroom, then we swap dog and restroom duty, then get back in the car......with v3, the car will have been ready to continue the trip 5 minutes before we were.
To be fair that's in temperate weather. During a cold snap your charging time may be double that.

• Disagree
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
"If I use a tool incorrectly it doesn't work!"

Not sure what you mean by this. Atlanta to Easton, Md according to A Better Route Planner requires 5 stops with charges from 10% to about 60% totalling 1:45. I have made that trip over 50 times in an ICE and easily keep my total stops to under 30 minutes. One stop for gas/potty/drive-thru and the other at a rest stop to use the bathroom.