Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance or LR Dual Motor for commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we are finishing a 2000 mile road trip in our 3 I can say it is MUCH better than an ICE. And much cheaper for fuel. We have driven as much as 650 miles in a day with no issue.

Depends on how nice your ICE is. Both my Camry and Pilot are quieter and more comfortable than the Model 3.
The longer the trip, the less advantage the Model 3 has. I hate to say it as I love the car to be all but it doesnt.

Reactions: SJC3
If you are a car guy, TM3-Performance is the only way to go!
I am driving TM3P as a daily over Beirut-style potholed roads of NY/NJ. You can definitely have fun with it in Nor-Cal.

TM3P's Pilot 4S grip WAAAYYYY better than all-season condoms wrappers on regular 18/19 wheels, but they will wear off faster and be a touch noisier. Nothing that increasing audio levels can't overcome, but if cost per mile starts bothering you, consider getting cheapo 18-inchers for commuting duty (save 20s for track/autoX duty; get R-tires once 4S wear off).
They also have the Pilot Sport 4S for the 18" wheel size as well. In my case I split the difference and got the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which is a High Performance All Season tire (as opposed to the Pilot Sport 4S which is a summer performance tire).

But if you get a P3D, I was advised not to get the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4. Although it is superior in terms of efficiency due to low rolling resistance, I was told it could not handle the power of the Performance.

I think for me, who is going through the same decisioning as OP, is to purchase the LR with the 19" wheels for a softer ride. The car is still will be faster than anything I've ever owned. I think I would also prefer the extra range. I don't really want to have to spend 10k to remove then tires for smaller ones. Stinks that the custom ordering options aren't a bit more granular.

Depends on how nice your ICE is. Both my Camry and Pilot are quieter and more comfortable than the Model 3.
The longer the trip, the less advantage the Model 3 has. I hate to say it as I love the car to be all but it doesnt.
Or it may be the performance which by nature is stiffer and harsher ride. We owned a Camry and my in-laws have a new Accord I often drive. For us our RWD Model 3 is noticeably quieter, smoother, powerful and if one believes NTSA much safer. And I know I am doing my part in reducing our CO2 footprint as the Model 3 is 40% the emissions per mile of the cars you mentioned. 100% cleaner for the first 300 miles thanks to solar.

Great comments and advice from other owners, and for the most part, I can't disagree with the logic for saving money and not purchasing the Performance model. With that being said, I love the look of the Performance model. Does it "pencil out" for my driving needs? - not really. I do derive a lot of enjoyment from the car, and as I get older I value periodic splurges and this was one of them. But then I'm 62 and retired, and know that life is short. I love the car and have no regrets in spending the extra dollars for the Performance Model.

Reactions: bshap73
Steve - I like you're thinking. I'm on the fence for an AWD LR, or the performance - which will amount to a difference of about $12k (NY state incentive would be $1500 more given the MSRP would be under $60, plus tax etc.). But - three out of four kids are graduating college this May/June, and I feel like its time for me ;-)

I'm 55 and also realize (especially in the last year or so), that life is short. My wife is on board for the P3 (black/black, with FDC), but I still have this "damn - I could do other things with that $12k!.

Ugh ... decisions decisions...

Well, I will unlikely be putting more than 5-6k of miles per year on the car. The expense for me will be the winter tires ... and the purchase price. Ugh...

I'm taking an AWD LR for a test drive on Friday (have already test driven the P3D 2x ...).

I forget where it's posted, but Performance Model 3 will sustain power for much of the battery state of charge (assuming it's not too hot) whereas Dual Motor drops power every 15-20% State of Charge interval. Will slightly affect those spirited drives.

Will try to find the post with exact numbers.

Edit to add: The numbers are in a battery post of all things!? What is best for the battery?

Last edited:
Well, I will unlikely be putting more than 5-6k of miles per year on the car. The expense for me will be the winter tires ... and the purchase price. Ugh...

I'm taking an AWD LR for a test drive on Friday (have already test driven the P3D 2x ...).

Re: Winter tires, the only ones I see that will fit on the 20" wheels are these $455 Pirellis... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...19&autoModel=Model 3 Performance&autoModClar= You're better off buying new wheels AND tires if you can find something to fit over the bigger calipers.

But if you get a P3D, I was advised not to get the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4. Although it is superior in terms of efficiency due to low rolling resistance, I was told it could not handle the power of the Performance.

That's simply not true. The P is not traction limited even with the MXM4s, so there's no acceleration difference between them and the PS4s on any model 3.

That said- the PS4s will stop the car a lot shorter than the MXM4s will, regardless of what version of the Model 3 they're on.

Like... Start saving for a Roadster? ;)

But seriously, if exterior is important, that money will be used for tint and/or paint protection film. Good luck with the decision!

Exterior is not a factor ... but if it is true there's a power drop for every 15-20% of depleted charge ... that might be enough to sway me to the perf.

I won't be buying a car like the M3P ever again (at least I'm pretty sure) .. so it's now or never! lol!

• Love
Reactions: Dre78
I commute in mine (60 miles a day, sometimes 120). It's hardly a problem, it's not like it's temperamental or anything like some fast cars are.

If you like going fast then get the Performance. I don't regret it at all.

Long road trips - ICE is king.
City commutes to short trips - EV is king.
I think Autopilot offsets the small negatives in longer trips. I've come to enjoy being "forced" to relax and actually make my travel part of my trip. It's far less stressful (and healthier).