Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance or Not? That is the question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Panacea

TSLA Shareholder/Believer
Feb 9, 2013
NJ
If I configure both cars the same, the difference is about $12,000 and I can't decide if a 1.2 sec faster 0-60 time is worth it. Granted, you also get the suede headliner and spoiler. Am I missing anything else? Just curious as to what other folks think.

Youll also have the option of the carbon fiber decor, which I love.
If money is of no concern I say go with the performance.

Thats just my opinion based on the fact that I love fast cars and carbon fiber decor looks amazing to me

i will say i wrestled with this decision many months, money is not of endless supply for me , I am retired and have very limited income. I am an old car guy and bigger is better. But I really had to consider when I would be using the extra performance. In the first three months, sure I'd boot it, but eventually I would have to gather my senses and drive this EV normally. I got my car friday and I am very pleased with my decision to go with standard performance( I refuse to say NON performance anymore cause it just ain't so). The other deciding factors besides the need for speed( ie neck snapping acceleration) which will wear off, my insurance company took HP into consideration in the rating of this new vehicle. Also I considered the range for the 19 inch wheels ( I do love the look of the 21" turbine wheels) but the 19's are great looking as well. I made the right decision for me, the extra money is in my stock portfolio in TESLA stock and hopefully will make me money. For my 2 cents worth I am thrilled with my car, beyond thrilled really, not everyone is in my same demographic with such limitations so all you can do is gather the information ,and the few extra touches that come with the performance model and decide if you just can't live without it, I could, color me thrilled.

I personally decided not to based primarily on money, but also because I didn't want to deal with the 21" wheels / tires on the few bad winter days we have. If I had unlimited funds I might have gone for it, but this purchase is expensive enough for me as it is. I'm the end it's a personal decision. Just know that you'll be getting am exceptional car no matter what choice you make.

I think it depends on what you would do if this was an ICE car. If you would go for the performance version of a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche, you would pay a lot more than the $12K Tesla is asking so it's a relative bargain. If you wouldn't normally go for the performance versions, then go for the standard Model S. I went for the standard.

Under the old pricing schedule it was about an $8k difference I believe (for how I wanted it spec'ed). Under the new one it would be $12k. It would have been a harder decision now for sure, but I tend to buy the top motor when I buy a car before anything else, so I would still probably have opted for the P even with the new pricing...

I got to the in for a dime in for a dollar type thing. So I got the Performance. I HAVE driven the non performance 85Kw and as Robert (wstuff) says above; it aint so. The standard 85Kw will kick you in the butt so hard you literally wont believe it.

Youll also have the option of the carbon fiber decor, which I love.
If money is of no concern I say go with the performance.

Thats just my opinion based on the fact that I love fast cars and carbon fiber decor looks amazing to me

I second that opinion.

Yep the carbon fiber inside is super sexy. This was a big seduction for me. But I ended up going regular 85kWh pack. And it is stupid fast. I can't imagine putting the pedal to the floor in the Performance.

I went with the 85kW but without the performance. I have the money for the performance, but I look at everything as opportunity cost. What else could I perhaps spend the money on? Charitable causes included.

One of my big factors was that with the Roadster it was hard to find places to use the full power of the motor to even demonstrate the car.

I live in a "country" setting. But there are still a number of cars on the road, lots of bicyclists, a few dog walkers, joggers, some children, animals, and the sheriff.

And most of the San Francisco Bay area is full of cars.

I opted non-performance. For me this is primarily a family car and practicality trumps sports car characteristics. 21" wheels affect range and seem like a bit of a headache to maintain, I have no love for carbon fiber, and I can find better uses for the price difference. Plus the car is plenty fast in standard mode. :)

This is completely and absolutely a personal, subjective choice. Look at both configurations and both prices, listen to that little voice inside of you, and pick the one that will make you happiest. As several have said, a standard Model S is going to be plenty fast... even the 40 Kwh car outsprints what my 2009 twin-turbo 300HP BMW 335i convertible could do... and that car impressed everyone who got in it. The 60 Kwh and 85 Kwh cars are each faster still, and the Performance version just adds a setting for "ludicrous speed".

Get it if you want it, value it, love it, and will derive joy from it... which is why I'm getting it. But don't think for a second that you need it... because you don't.

This is completely and absolutely a personal, subjective choice. Look at both configurations and both prices, listen to that little voice inside of you, and pick the one that will make you happiest. As several have said, a standard Model S is going to be plenty fast... even the 40 Kwh car outsprints what my 2009 twin-turbo 300HP BMW 335i convertible could do... and that car impressed everyone who got in it. The 60 Kwh and 85 Kwh cars are each faster still, and the Performance version just adds a setting for "ludicrous speed".

Get it if you want it, value it, love it, and will derive joy from it... which is why I'm getting it. But don't think for a second that you need it... because you don't.
What he said. Got Perf, love it, don't need it. If had to do all over again tho... would prolly get it.

If you would go for the performance version of a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche, you would pay a lot more than the $12K Tesla is asking so it's a relative bargain.

this. for less than $12k, you get incredible acceleration upgrade with the big inverter, higher top speed, improved handling, free 21" wheels (if you reserved before 12/31), nappa leather interior with contrast piping, alcantara bolsters, extensive leather throughout (more than standard model), available carbon fiber décor, air suspension, sport-tuned traction control, and unique exterior accents - carbon-fiber spoiler, grey wheel option, carbon fiber accents on the lower part of the front fascia/front air dam, and I believe the other exterior item exclusive to the performance version is the chrome air deflector thing (not sure exactly what this is) at the bottom of the rear bumper.

All of that is a STEAL for less than $12k. I didn't think twice about it.

We're split down the middle and not helping the OP, LOL!

It's a personal decision and one person will be happy with the Standard 85 while the next has to have the Performance version. If you think there's a chance you will regret not getting the Performance, go ahead and get it: as others have pointed out, the premium is a lot less than it would be in a MB or BMW.

Here's one argument in favor of the Standard I haven't heard expressed before: every time you launch, you get to mash the pedal to the floor for a second longer than you would in the Performance before you have to back off because of, ah, legal niceties. :biggrin:

Obviously a very personal decision but here is what we went through, hope it helps. We went with performance, took delivery yesterday and are very pleased. we went back and forth for many months on every configuration option available. a bunch of little things came together to tip the scale in the performance direction for us. Our fourth "test" drive was of a production performance, we had a chance to go for an extended drive and it clinched the deal. this was the first time I saw the carbon fiber accents actually in a vehicle, they are much more beautiful than we had imagined from looking at the sample in store and for some reason the fit and finish feels more solid with them! We had concerns about how durable the other trim options would be and are very confident the carbon fiber has a finish that will look great for a long time to come. For my tastes, the carbon really goes well with the gray interior. I also really like the look of the spoiler with the gray metallic paint. I really don't like the look of the red piping on the black leather, so thankfully the grey leather has a tan/white piping that matches the suede ceiling. Kind of minor on one hand, on the other, it's the only color combination that really seemed to bring it all together and when you are spending this kind of money and going through the trouble of a pre-order, it should be exactly the way you want it. The other considerations for us were looks, cost, utility and resale value of the performance rims. the equation became complex, the 21's are not so great in the winter with the soft performance rubber becoming harder and slicker in cold whether, but we don't really get that much of a winter here and accept for the occasional joy ride we are hyper milers, which from talking around will likely give us about 20K miles on them, so not so bad. they curb more easily but that is preventable with the addition of relatively inexpensive gators. in terms of looks they are way more appealing to us than the 19"s and presumably have better resale value, especially if you can leverage the pre-price increase inclusion. After the price increase the performance is $2,500 extra for base and another $3,500 for the performance wheels. Since we are buying on the cusp of the increase we think we have a fair chance at recapturing some of that value if we should decide to resell the wheels or the whole car at some point. Also, we have been seriously considering going third party with the 19" rotary blade rims shown in another thread. We figure we can sell the 21"s for more than we can sell the 19", making the switch to the 3rd party 19"s less costly should we decide to go in that direction. Bottom line for the wheels, the thick spokes of the 19"s when looking from anything but perfect side profile just don't have the appeal to us, even though they are probably more practical in terms of all season tire options. we may just get spider spikes for the 21"s for an easy on off in the winter during the occasional cold snap for the few weeks/months we get ice here. it's the porcelain white ice here that make the roads so slick that cars slide off from a stand still at times. it doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's critical to have a quick way to get good traction, especially without AWD, something that only chains seems to really be able to provide. We really want to avoid having to change out tires and rims for the winter. We've only put a hundred miles on the car so far and are now in love with all aspects of the performance and are very happy we went that way. From what I've read, the place you will notice the faster zero to sixty is not actually the zero to sixty, it's the almost endless acceleration at 60+. For people who appreciate the incredible feeling of being able to jump effortlessly from 60 to 80, there is an argument for it, it's really quite exhilarating and puts the Performance S on par with some very pricy ICE cars!

Last edited: