Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed. (Sorry for replying to my own post. :)) I got this from my service advisor. Take a deep breath, a retrofit ain't cheap...

Performance Plus Retrofit - $13,000

Several customers have inquired about a field retrofit for the Performance Plus option. We do plan to offer this beginning this Summer for $13,500.

This upgrade will include the following items from the factory installed Performance Plus option:

* 2 x Rear lower control arms with revised stiffer bushings
* 2 x Rear upper links with revised stiffer bushings
* 2 x 21" x 8.5" front wheels with 245/35R21 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires
* 2 x 21" x 9" rear wheels with 265/35R21 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires

This is a package engineered to provide the enthusiast driver with a more responsive car and added cornering grip while maintaining excellent ride quality. While this does not include the revised dampers and stabilizer bars that the factory option does include, we have engineered this package to offer the majority of the handling benefits without requiring a full suspension removal and replacement, which would be far more costly.

The added grip of the wider rear tires necessitates the added lateral stiffness provided by the revised bushings, so the rear wheels are not available individually.

Looks like the package includes 4 rims and tires as well.

Ok, let's get the bushing spec from Tesla and buy our own to install.
or
The original uppers were $220 each from Tesla. The lowers are much larger so let's say they are $1000 each. That's $2500 for the bits from Tesla and about four hours to put them on. They may have upgraded the bushings in the torque links as well so add another $400.

I already have 21s (and lucky enough to get Pilots as well) so I'm happy. I would prefer a bit more neutral car anyway to loosing some under steer is just fine by me.

If you buy the car new today with 21s and the P+ package are you not looking at something north of $10K anyways? If you are, it is not a stretch to get $3K more to install it (as a retrofit) at $150 an hour and shop job times.

I have two emails from 1.5 weeks ago. Ownership quoted me 9500 and Elon in his email said prices are not set yet but will be 6500 plus labor so also around 9500. Paying more for half the changes is ridiculous. I too want to order parts separately and just have a good shop install them. Trying to figure out what parts are needed?
Insane that now they are saying 13k. Lol. Just gotta laugh at that. I don't care about the bigger rears. Could order those separately as well. The ps2 would have been nice though.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in addition to the bushings how much do you estimate for the rear lower control arms? I'd be happy with all that as long as is not north of 4k.

lolachampcar - how can we get part numbers for these items and order them separately and have a good shop install them? My advisor doesn't have a clue about these parts yet.

If you deduct minimum $5200,- for the 21" with the Michelin PS2 you're down to $7800,- (- any extras for the two 0.5" wider rims, - any extra for the difference in prize for the PS2's).
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/21-grey-performance-wheel
Then deduct the $6500 for the P+ package you would have to pay for a factory installation.
You're down to $1300,- extra. But now you have a set of used wheels.
A set of 19" wheels+wintertires are $2400,-

Did I miss anything?
Although it's a pretty high prize (way to high!). This makes me think the $6500,- P+ package is overpriced in the first place.
Does the $13k price include labor?

Well I don't get how they are saying 13k now. I thought 9500 was bad enough cause I don't even want the bigger rear rims. The 9500 included labor. I have the email somewhere...unless they already changed pricing.

If you deduct minimum $5200,- for the 21" with the Michelin PS2 you're down to $7800,- (- any extras for the two 0.5" wider rims, - any extra for the difference in prize for the PS2's).
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/21-grey-performance-wheel
Then deduct the $6500 for the P+ package you would have to pay for a factory installation.
You're down to $1300,- extra.
The from-the-factory option includes revised dampers while the retrofit does not. The more I think about the retrofit cost the less sense it makes - replacing end links & LCAs is a pretty easy job, say 4-5 hours of shop time. For $7800 friggen dollars ($13K minus wheel & tire cost) I'd expect a hell of a lot more parts than that.

I think we are looking at value pricing here.

From a production standpoint, it is always a pain to have yet another option to stock, build and track so you have to charge for that part of the pain. From a practical standpoint, they are buying stiffer bushings in lower quantities but the bushings are cheap so twice the cost is still measured in a few dollars (that takes care of the upper, lower and torque link upgrade). Different valving in the dampers and (assuming they bothered) slightly higher spring rate air bags are, again, percentage point changes in the cost of these items. Going up on sway bar diameter is, once again, pennies. In short, they might have a whopping $50 tied up in the actual costs not counting having to spec, order, stock and track more part numbers. There are also the engineering costs to be recouped. In short, the pricing must be value based.

Of course there is the tire and rim issue. I guess I got lucky when I got Pilots on my included (with P85 package) 21s and really have no interest in wider rears. That would just prevent me from rotating front to rear.

Good to hear someone with your experience has no interest in wider rears as well. I hated not being able to rotate the tires on the Roadster due to different tire sizes so will probably stick with standard 21" wheels. May try the Pilots once to see what they're like the but cost is significant.

From my Tesla DS:

It is possible to mount the wider 265mm tires on the standard 8.5" rear wheels but it's not advisable. With Performance Plus, the rear wheel width grows to 9" to accommodate the wider tires.

I hope we can lay this debate to bed :)

A

dsm363,
Another forum member (probably with a lot more experience than I have with street tires) said the Hankook tires work very well. I'll see if I can dig up his post as they were in the $200 range if you can believe that.

- - - Updated - - -

dockt said in another thread....

"Fwiw, I've used the Hankook Ventus V12s on my AMG and did not notice any decrement in performance vs the stock Pirelli P Zeros with similar or slightly improved tread life (regardless of what the wear ratings were). They cost way less than the Contis and WAY less than the Michelins, so running costs should go down.

The other option for tires would be to go with an ultra high performance all-season tire -- which does compromise performance but tread life goes way up. I suspect most MS drivers would not care about the performance loss in day-to-day driving. My $.02.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2"

For those among us who may have more budget than sense, is there simply now way regardless of price, to get a complete retrofit?

While I am bummed about the news, it seems like it would be similar to buying an Audi and having the S-line come out a few months later.