Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really pressed him on this issue. They have my VIN and know what car I have. He said, definitely, this will be available in the summer. I also thought it was too good to be true, but he double confirmed it.

All that said, I'll still have some doubts, until I see an official announcement.

Just so I am understanding you. You have been informed that it is possible for a Standard 85 motor output to get upgraded to a Performance 85 output...did I get that right?

Just so I am understanding you. You have been informed that it is possible for a Standard 85 motor output to get upgraded to a Performance 85 output...did I get that right?

I've always believed there was a physical difference in the power train. I would think that it the 15k price would have to include this modification. As far as the actual motor they are the same for perf and non-perf.

See a somewhat related thread over here: How is current to the motor limited? Electronically or physically?

It would be trivial for Tesla to upgrade an 85kWh car. The entire motor/inverter assembly is modular and if you put the car on a lift you can drop it out and replace it in just a couple of minutes. I haven't seen the suspension get removed, but I don't see why that would be anything but modular as well. I'd guess you could do the whole job in just a few hours, so what you are paying for is the components.

It would be trivial for Tesla to upgrade an 85kWh car. The entire motor/inverter assembly is modular and if you put the car on a lift you can drop it out and replace it in just a couple of minutes. I haven't seen the suspension get removed, but I don't see why that would be anything but modular as well. I'd guess you could do the whole job in just a few hours, so what you are paying for is the components.

Assuming the P85 and regular 85 share the same wiring harneses. And I doubt you could swap piano black for carbon fiber either. Better off just buying a loaner at $15k.

I just enquired with Telsa HQ whether it is possible to retrofit the performance package to a standard 85. Apparently there will be announcement in early summer that you can not only upgrade to performance, but that you get the full performance plus upgrade for 'around $15k'.

That news just made my day. It will make the best car I have ever driven, even better :love:

Those numbers don't add up right. Assuming you already have nappa leather, air suspension, and 21 inch wheels, the perf is a $12k premium plus another $6500 for the perf plus, so minimum $18500, but what you are saying is that you can get perf upgrade and the plus for $15k? It's be cheaper just to buy a standard 85, then have it retrofitted , instead of buying it all up front... And thats assuming you already have the 21s...Doesn't add up right to me.

Those numbers don't add up right. Assuming you already have nappa leather, air suspension, and 21 inch wheels, the perf is a $12k premium plus another $6500 for the perf plus, so minimum $18500, but what you are saying is that you can get perf upgrade and the plus for $15k? It's be cheaper just to buy a standard 85, then have it retrofitted , instead of buying it all up front... And thats assuming you already have the 21s...Doesn't add up right to me.

I find this intriguing. One reason I didn't get the performance was I didn't care for the two-toned leather....

I bought the s85 and would consider the "upgrade" but as many of you pointed out that is complicated. Here are some of my questions:
1. Do they replace the seat or just switch out the leather to be "performance" or is that not included?
2. Headliner? same thing... Do we keep the old one or core credit?
3. I think the motor is the same but the inverter is supposedly different, so is just the inverter replaced? Do we keep the old one? Is there are core credit if Tesla keeps it?
4. Is the VIN re-registered with Tesla to be a "performance plus"
5. Do we keep out old wheels and tires?
6. Do we get "upgraded" leather interior where it is pleather now?

Just some thoughts?
john

I find this intriguing. One reason I didn't get the performance was I didn't care for the two-toned leather....

I loved the two-toned leather, but didn't like the alcantara bolsters, or being "forced" to get the 21-inch wheels (which were later determined to be a "free" upgrade, not marketed as such at the time). I am intrigued at the possibility of getting the improved drive inverted and suspension without having to redo my leather or wheels, though I wonder how much of the incremental acceleration is dependent on the 21" wheels.

EDIT: I should clarify that I loved the tan and grey leather options, but didn't really care for the red/black piping on any color except Sig Red (and now multi-coat red).

Could it be that, much like the 40KWh cars now being 60s with software limits, tesla was in such a rush late last year and early this year that they put the same inverter and wiring in P85 cars as S85 cars? Perhaps the cost of rejiggering the production line was more than the cost of those components? So it's been software limited all this time, sitting right under our noses? Christmas in May?!?

Could it be that, much like the 40KWh cars now being 60s with software limits, tesla was in such a rush late last year and early this year that they put the same inverter and wiring in P85 cars as S85 cars? Perhaps the cost of rejiggering the production line was more than the cost of those components? So it's been software limited all this time, sitting right under our noses? Christmas in May?!?

Man, this makes a lot of sense to me.

I didn't really want/need the other P85 interior extras, but can tell you that swapping the dash trim is not hard from my experience doing it on my old AMG. Door panel trim is the hardest, but the Model S doesn't have any.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

If true, seems more reasonable that you just get the speed (inverter and motor only) increase. No seats, interior, etc. the labor alone would be pretty high when you consider the perf plus is~$9k with install and it doesn't add up if you get everything a P85 gets for just 15k more.

Performance Plus Retrofit – $13,000
We do plan to offer this beginning this Summer for $13,500.
This upgrade will include the following items from the factory installed Performance Plus option:
* 2 x Rear lower control arms with revised stiffer bushings
* 2 x Rear upper links with revised stiffer bushings
* 2 x 21″ x 8.5″ front wheels with 245/35R21 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires
* 2 x 21″ x 9″ rear wheels with 265/35R21 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires

This is a package engineered to provide the enthusiast driver with a more responsive car and added cornering grip while maintaining excellent ride quality. While this does not include the revised dampers and stabilizer bars that the factory option does include, we have engineered this package to offer the majority of the handling benefits without requiring a full suspension removal and replacement, which would be far more costly.
The added grip of the wider rear tires necessitates the added lateral stiffness provided by the revised bushings, so the rear wheels are not available individually.
http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-...now-available-for-6500-retrofits-offered-too/

- - - Updated - - -

Seems to be old news, saw that link first posted on facebook, then searching the net for it took me back here to this thread a few weeks ago:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/15422-Performance-Plus-Package-now-available/ post #194

It's even simpler than that: the motor and inverter are mounted with the rest of the drivetrain and rear suspension/axles/wheels, and the whole shebang is installed as a single unit at the factory, just before the battery pack goes in. So if Tesla wants they can reduce installation of the Perf Plus upgrade to almost nothing, at the cost of having an entire used rear drive unit as leftovers. I imagine they would have a way to refurb the used unit and use it in the service of the loaner fleet, if nothing else. Oh, wait: the loaner fleet is supposed to be all P85's, not S85's. So it probably makes more sense for them to ship a kit of parts than a whole drive unit when someone orders a Perf+ upgrade.

I also owned 2 M5's (2000 and 2006) and while I am impressed by the straight line performance of my P85, I agree that the handling is nowhere near that of the M5.

That said, has anyone been able to get info from Tesla on the relative handling improvement of the Perf + vs. a P85 with the [subset] Perf+ upgrade? I was able to confirm today at the Santana Row Tesla store that the Perf + upgrade will cost $13K and will not include the damper changes or the bigger sway bars. The unanswered questions from my visit today:

1) Quantitatively, how much of an improvement is the Perf+ upgrade vs. a new MSP with the Perf+ package? Does it get us MSP early adopters 50% of the way there or 80%?

2) Qualitatively, what are we giving up by not getting the damper upgrades and the bigger sway bars? Any why aren't these components included as part of the Perf+ upgrade?

Inquiring minds want to know. :biggrin:

I just enquired with Telsa HQ whether it is possible to retrofit the performance package to a standard 85. Apparently there will be announcement in early summer that you can not only upgrade to performance, but that you get the full performance plus upgrade for 'around $15k'.

That news just made my day. It will make the best car I have ever driven, even better :love:
So what you're saying is that you basically Get the Standard->Performance (362->416HP) for $1500-2000, taking into account that The P->P+ upgrade (retrofitted) cost $13-13500.
there's no way.
Sorry to say, but I honestly think somebody somewhere misunderstood or miscommunicated something.