Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Package - How many find it worth $5K?

Do you find Performance Upgrade worth $5K?

• Yes, totally worth it!

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • No, a bit expensive. I won't get one.

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • No, a bit expensive but will get them through after-market

Votes: 10 14.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered it that way. I did go in today and change from white to black interior though. When it was free, I chose white because I hate the wood dash. I would have much preferred black with non-wood, but that's not an option. Now that it's $1,500 though, I went for black and I'll just get a replacement for the tacky ass wood strip after delivery.

While I feel 64K for Performance is reasonable, other than the 20'' wheel, it seems a bit stiff and not so much useful in regular street.

For those who are interested in Performance model, are you getting one?

The 20" wheels from Tesla (in their shop) are $4K.

The tires alone are ~$1400 (from tirerack.com), and a similar set of wheels from evwheeldirect.com (turbines, not exactly the same) are $1300. So, there's $2700 in wheels alone (so maybe their store is a little inflated, though that does include installation).

That leaves $3300 for performance brake rotors, pads, and calipers (not sure what those cost), those spiffy aluminum pedals, and presumably different suspension to accommodate the larger wheels and sportier ride. While you can't count labor for a factory-installed product, I think you'd probably be in the ballpark if you had this done after delivery.

Reactions: FlyNavy01

The tires alone are ~$1400 (from tirerack.com), and a similar set of wheels from evwheeldirect.com (turbines, not exactly the same) are $1300. So, there's $2700 in wheels alone (so maybe their store is a little inflated, though that does include installation).

That leaves $3300 for performance brake rotors, pads, and calipers (not sure what those cost), those spiffy aluminum pedals, and presumably different suspension to accommodate the larger wheels and sportier ride. While you can't count labor for a factory-installed product, I think you'd probably be in the ballpark if you had this done after delivery.
You make a good point, but don’t you mean $2300 for performance brake rotors, etc.?

Reactions: ℬête Noire

I ordered as well, though I think it's hard to justify. The tires are ~$1400, but the original tires are ~$1100, so that's not much difference. Or, you could argue that a set of 18 wheels and tires from the accessory shop is $2000 and a set of 20s (plus changed rear upper fore links) is $4000, so that's a $2000 difference. Personally, I'd like to have the higher camber on the 18 wheels with the stickier tires -- so I've ordered the 20s and may swap someone for 18s later.

Brakes is a big unknown -- until we see one in person, it's not really clear if they are performance brakes (i.e. different from the stock brakes) or if they are the same brakes that are painted "performance red". There's very little evidence and I've seen folks argue both ways.

The pessimistic view is that other than the wheels and tires, you're getting a splash of paint on the calipers, shiny pedals, and a stick-on spoiler.

Edit to add: there's some interesting related speculation here.

Last edited:
I'd have gotten the Performance package, but I didn't want to wait. I'm finding the performance is entirely adequate without the Performance package. I would not have gotten the upgraded interior, but as above, I didn't want to wait. I'm finding I'm quite happy with the car as it is. The only things I don't much care for are the glass roof (stupid idea, IMO) and the phone key, which has its own thread.

When I got the car I thought I might drive it for a year or two and then trade up to the P-AWD version. But now I think I'll almost certainly just keep it. Sweet car, just as it is. Used AP on the freeway coming home from the airport. Worked wonderfully.

Brakes is a big unknown -- until we see one in person, it's not really clear if they are performance brakes (i.e. different from the stock brakes) or if they are the same brakes that are painted "performance red". There's very little evidence and I've seen folks argue both ways.

We've got pictures to verify they aren't the same brakes. The rotors are a LOT larger, calipers are at least somewhat larger. Hard to tell though without use what the difference is in their capability to maintain braking strength in the face of repeated hard braking (and heavy use as a brake-based differential, if that's what they are doing).

When I got the car I thought I might drive it for a year or two and then trade up to the P-AWD version. But now I think I'll almost certainly just keep it. Sweet car, just as it is. Used AP on the freeway coming home from the airport. Worked wonderfully.

You've taken delivery? Nice. Have you used it yet for that Revelstoke et al trip you were talking about or is that still in the future?

Wait a min....I thought the upgraded performance brake rotors - pads - and calipers comes with ALL performance models..

OR does the performance upgrade to the performance model make those options true?

• 20” Performance Wheels
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph

Does the performance Upgrade include more than these 4 things?

Wait a min....I thought the upgraded performance brake rotors - pads - and calipers comes with ALL performance models..

OR does the performance upgrade to the performance model make those options true?

• 20” Performance Wheels
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph

Does the performance Upgrade include more than these 4 things?

As with many things Tesla, it depends on how you read/interpret things.

It seems the only way you can get the 20" Performance Wheels is to order the Performance Upgrade.

And then it further says that the 20" wheels "Includes Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and performance brake calipers"

So does that mean that you must get 20" wheels to get the performance brake calipers? And non Performance Upgrade "P" cars would get different calipers? Are those calipers in fact the same functionally but the 'performance' ones are painted red? Could it mean that the Performance Upgrade cars have the same rotors and pads as their non PU counterparts but different calipers only?

It could be any of those three things from the vague way it is written.