Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That kind of answer kills me... At least they should say nothing... I'm on 44.2 and there's no track mode as expected on my P3D-... Sigh. But the good news is that it's winter here so I don't care plus I have 18" inches wheels for the best snow tires format.
Yes when I read the v44.2 thread and found out still no Track Mose, I called Parker out on his misleading answer in a followup email. We'll see what he says.

Reactions: Roys3
Another insult to the P3D- came last night in form of an email stating that my dual motor badge (not the ones with a red underline) is ready for me to get installed. Either these people are clueless or they like pouring salt on the wound reminding us that our P3D- are nothing but AWD cars with one software bit flipped. Now they want to badge my car with a model decal lower than what I bought.

Wait. How do we know we won't be getting the red underline? I already confirmed the appointment but I don't want a badge without the underline.

This would have been a 1000 page thread and still going if AP2 gate happened on the Model 3 versus Model S and X.

Take delivery of an AP1 car October 15th and your neighbor takes delivery of an AP2 car on October 16th.

On page 300 you’d have AP2 owners getting angry at getting bait/switched because it doesn’t perform as well as AP1 2 years later.

Some take aways for those who haven’t taken delivery of a Tesla yet:

1.) Your neighbor will have a better and cheaper Tesla than you. Could happen in just 24 hours.

2.) Cheaping out on your config more often than that carries more regret later than satisfaction of saving money upfront.

Post upgrades after delivery can get more expensive, never materialize or, or pulled entirely. FSD being the latest example.

3.) Don’t try to outsmart Tesla. People think it’s dumb to spend $5000 for a rice package because it doesn’t give you enough for the price difference. What happens when Tesla decides to give someone “enough” for that 5000?

Tesla has annoyingly pulled the expiring FUSC lever over and over. You can keep holding off on it but Tesla might pull the plug overnight and would wisely not telegraph it.

3P- should be grateful that Tesla ever even offered it for the 3. I actually ordered before FUSC was even a thing.

While financially it doesn’t make sense over $5000 it’s still an intangible that is looking to be exclusive.

Taking it won’t stop sales apparently as BMW M3s and C63 AMG don’t come with unlimited gas.

Hilarious

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
This would have been a 1000 page thread and still going if AP2 gate happened on the Model 3 versus Model S and X.

Take delivery of an AP1 car October 15th and your neighbor takes delivery of an AP2 car on October 16th.

On page 300 you’d have AP2 owners getting angry at getting bait/switched because it doesn’t perform as well as AP1 2 years later.

Some take aways for those who haven’t taken delivery of a Tesla yet:

1.) Your neighbor will have a better and cheaper Tesla than you. Could happen in just 24 hours.

2.) Cheaping out on your config more often than that carries more regret later than satisfaction of saving money upfront.

Post upgrades after delivery can get more expensive, never materialize or, or pulled entirely. FSD being the latest example.

3.) Don’t try to outsmart Tesla. People think it’s dumb to spend $5000 for a rice package because it doesn’t give you enough for the price difference. What happens when Tesla decides to give someone “enough” for that 5000?

Tesla has annoyingly pulled the expiring FUSC lever over and over. You can keep holding off on it but Tesla might pull the plug overnight and would wisely not telegraph it.

3P- should be grateful that Tesla ever even offered it for the 3. I actually ordered before FUSC was even a thing.

While financially it doesn’t make sense over $5000 it’s still an intangible that is looking to be exclusive.

Taking it won’t stop sales apparently as BMW M3s and C63 AMG don’t come with unlimited gas.
My takeaway from all that you said is NOT (as you suggest?) to buy the fullest-optioned car Tesla offers - in order to best hedge my bets against their future arbitrary price and option "machinations".

My takeaway is: a ) ONLY buy a used Tesla, b) NEVER be an early adopter, c) ALWAYS ignore their incentives when they're trying to make quarterly numbers (and perhaps any time really).

Those Roadster 2020 folks who put $50K or $250K blind money down must be out of their FUSC'ing minds! o_O

I guess Tesla's behavior, if it continues this way, should at least help buoy "pre-owned" prices. :rolleyes:

PS: Anybody out there looking get in on a Model Y or Pickup? Beware! ( - any wise and thoughtful decisions you think you're making at the time will be "outsmarted" by Tesla) - BUY LATE or USED!

Is that the message Tesla is trying to send? It's working...

Last edited:
I interpreted the tweet is that "You could buy TM later, details TBD" I assumed track mode for non pup would be $6-7k, so I wanted it in right away and changed my order at the last week to one with PUP.

What I hope happens eventually is that when they release a "Track Mode 2.0" then the P3D- will get the option to buy it as well. This first version TM 1.0 has all of its features locked down to P3D+ what Tesla think is safest, or at least how they wanted to test the software in the wild. Most of us have agreed to data sharing, so they know exactly what we are doing, and what the various temps are, gps locations, g forces, throttle position ect. TM 2.0 should have options if they really want to support motorsports.

Perhaps they make recommendations as to slider settings in TM 2.0 if you are in a car with smaller brakes. Then settings recommended if you have the PUP, and perhaps other settings for cars with full track gear. TM 2.0 could display a whole bunch of useful information about the car with all the sensors since you're by definition in a testing/track mode. You could download lap data through the USB stick, show g forces and advanced management information about the component temperature the options are endless.

Hopefully one day soon Tesla will put a Tesla Motorsports program together. Imagine the possibilities!

You could put bluetooth generators around the track at each corner and use the computer to compute each braking zone recommendation, or even just last brake point. With all the compute power of the AP computers, you could do quite a lot.

Develop a whole suite of track specific information you could buy or rent for the weekend as an instant paid download, like "Track Pack Event, Laguna Seca" With all the specifics of each track event and the costs preloaded. Tesla Motorsport could do a Laguna Seca time trial event, build a few Semi based charging stations for the paddock with giant generators and banks of superchargers. By that time they will have had track mode for the other models as well. Have it setup as a time trial event, where everyone gets maybe 5-10 laps total in groups of 3-5 laps each. Keep the format short to not focus on the lack of stamina of the current generation of cars.

Imagine all the lap and section timing information automatically sent to every car screen live using the bluetooth and cell/wifi transmitter. You could see how fast you were compared to the leader through the section, and overall. Potentially you could overlay the race line of the fastest time of the day grand tourismo style.

Tesla could sell for cost or below a few model 3 with cosmetic issues out to race teams across the country who wanted to test and play with a developer package as an exhibition. Then use that data for a couple race events at tracks across the country. That would turn heads, as long as it was marketed well.

I'm certainly asking too much, and should be happy my car got the TM update, but one can dream. With this hardware, all it takes is some badass software development. However, seeing the current state of the media player and the dashcam, I know its not happening this year unfortunately.

I volunteer to be the right hand at Tesla Motorsports, Elon are you listening?

What I hope happens eventually is that when they release a "Track Mode 2.0" then the P3D- will get the option to buy it as well.

So you want P3D- guys to pay more money than you did, but not get the tires, brakes etc? That makes sense to you?

Someone above hit it on the head -- I love my car but will not buy another new Tesla again.

My takeaway from all that you said is NOT (as you suggest?) to buy the fullest-optioned car Tesla offers - in order to best hedge my bets against their future arbitrary price and option "machinations".

My takeaway is: a ) ONLY buy a used Tesla, b) NEVER be an early adopter, c) ALWAYS ignore their incentives when they're trying to make quarterly numbers (and perhaps any time really).

Those Roadster 2020 folks who put $50K or $250K blind money down must be out of their FUSC'ing minds! o_O

I guess Tesla's behavior, if it continues this way, should at least help buoy "pre-owned" prices. :rolleyes:

PS: Anybody out there looking get in on a Model Y or Pickup? Beware! ( - any wise and thoughtful decisions you think you're making at the time will be "outsmarted" by Tesla) - BUY LATE or USED!

Is that the message Tesla is trying to send? It's working...

A.) Used Tesla's are not that cheap and you give up a tax subsidy. You also have a chance of getting something newer / better or cheaper while your car is being built. Its not always a negative.

B.) You are always an early adopter when it comes to Tesla. First Model S didn't even have parking sensors.

C.) There are deals to be had if Tesla wants to make some cash or reduce inventories. A future round of people that are going to be very happy for a few weeks is those who are getting great deals on inventory S and X. Right before Tesla drops a major refresh on them.

Reg Model Y / Truck - not everyone is obsessed about every new addition or price drop. No one who bought Model 3s in 2017 are complaining. They have been enjoying their cars for a year and a half.

You need a car, you need a car.

There are better "entry points" than others, but such advantages do no last very long with Tesla's rate of innovation. You just have to learn to be satisfied with the car you got.

This whole PUP-gate is minuscule in scope compared to AP2 dropped on S and X owners in 2016.

Someone above hit it on the head -- I love my car but will not buy another new Tesla again.

Lots of hubris. What if the next Tesla's are too good to pass up? As a matter of principle I don't make statements I can't keep. Not even on the anonymous Internet.

P3D- was never promised track mode. Track mode for P3D- would push people away from performance upgrade and would be bad business move on Tesla part.
Are you trolling on purpose? Track mode was not promised for P3D+ either, otherwise it would have been listed in the PUP, and it would have been on your contract. It was marketed as being for Performance, the same $11k upgrade P3D- paid, that now includes the PUP “free” and lists TM as a feature of the PUP, which it should have all along and none of the bs P+/- argument would have ever happened. The most P+ have to be upset about is $5k-FUSC value, P- don’t have the car they thought they bought and can’t fix it for any price (other than buying another car) and we are not being alowed to be on the $5k bandwagon.

then the P3D- will get the option to buy it as well.
What!? Wait a minute, so you want the P3D- which already got screwed the most to pay extra for the Track Mode as compared to the P3D+ who gets it free and 5K refund or the new buyers who get it free and get PUP parts for the same price we paid? The P3D- would get the raw end of the deal even if Track Mode is given to them for free.

The 1000 page thread is still incoming....remember at some point next year Tesla will make the AP3 swap from AP2 hardware...and we will see GOB LOBS of complaints with ZOMG how do I check if I got AP3 hardware ZOMG cancel delivery etc.

My suggestion to Tesla is to this manufacturing change as SECRETIVE as possible, so that after they've been doing putting AP3 hardware for a month or so, no one can complain and cancel their receipt of a "possible" AP2 car.

But of course I'm sure Elon is going to tweet something along the lines of "AP3 hardware is available in all cars today" and in b4 rush of cancellations.

On a side note, I'm going to really miss FUSC on my car....its so fun charging at random superchargers I would never go to otherwise. I found some really cool places I would never have gone otherwise and meeting all those random Tesla owners...I'll say it right now....FUSC has literally changed my life :p (and routine...and friends...etc.)

The 1000 page thread is still incoming....remember at some point next year Tesla will make the AP3 swap from AP2 hardware...and we will see GOB LOBS of complaints with ZOMG how do I check if I got AP3 hardware ZOMG cancel delivery etc.

My suggestion to Tesla is to this manufacturing change as SECRETIVE as possible, so that after they've been doing putting AP3 hardware for a month or so, no one can complain and cancel their receipt of a "possible" AP2 car.

But of course I'm sure Elon is going to tweet something along the lines of "AP3 hardware is available in all cars today" and in b4 rush of cancellations.

On a side note, I'm going to really miss FUSC on my car....its so fun charging at random superchargers I would never go to otherwise. I found some really cool places I would never have gone otherwise and meeting all those random Tesla owners...I'll say it right now....FUSC has literally changed my life :p (and routine...and friends...etc.)

The bigger the customer base, the longer the thread - when they feel fooled!

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
]

This thread will still be going when the next performance price or feature change happens!
Let’s keep the outrage going!

I think this thread would have ended or not be as long as it is if Tesla would had release an official policy about the $5000 refund .....which they should have done along time ago.

F this thread now I have a mental case like @P85_DA following all around the forums disagreeing to everything that I post no matter the subject. For instance In a period of 5 minutes he disagreed to 250 of my posts ..... take your pills dude. And I have to deal with this probably because IMO P3Ds should have to option to get something in exchange of the free supercharging.

]

I think this thread would have ended or not be as long as it is if Tesla would had release an official policy about the $5000 refund .....which they should have done along time ago.

F this thread now I have a mental case like @P85_DA following all around the forums disagreeing to everything that I post no matter the subject. For instance In a period of 5 minutes he disagreed to 250 of my posts ..... take your pills dude. And I have to deal with this probably because IMO P3Ds should have to option to get something in exchange of the free supercharging.
I echo your your sentiment - Tesla needs to get its act together.
It's really not that hard to treat good customers fairly.
Think, Tesla, think! You can do it! :) End this thread Tesla!