Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) Everything Tesla told me at the time pointed to a cosmetic upgrade (I could care less about some artificially imposed 155 vs. 145 top speed since I'll never test that out anyway). Tires can be swapped for stickier ones. I later (after taking delivery) learned of more significant physical differences.
I was pretty sure from the start that the brakes were different. Tesla never said otherwise.

I was pretty sure from the start that the brakes were different. Tesla never said otherwise.
Are the “red” performance brakes different on S and X? I don’t think they are. Why would you assume “red” would be any different on the 3, especially if you were ordering before anyone had one yet, or there was one in any showroom. Many of us asked Tesla reps too. Yeah in hindsight it’s totally obvious they are different.

Reactions: MarkS22
Are the “red” performance brakes different on S and X? I don’t think they are. Why would you assume “red” would be any different on the 3, especially if you were ordering before anyone had one yet, or there was one in any showroom. Many of us asked Tesla reps too. Yeah in hindsight it’s totally obvious they are different.

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

Tesla did a horrible job at spelling out the differences. Not everyone has been following closely but some of us knew 3P+ had a big brake kit the moment the first 3P+ photo was released in June.

Reactions: P85_DA
Mainly because of things that were said about trackability and competing with M3s. The stock brakes are pretty awful for a 4000 lb. car if you're tracking it. There were also difference in the images composited by the configurator. I was 95% sure they weren't the same parts *very* soon after the P was announced (I ordered May 23rd).

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

Tesla did a horrible job at spelling out the differences. Not everyone has been following closely but some of us knew 3P+ had a big brake kit the moment the first 3P+ photo was released in June.
I was on that thread as well. I contacted Tesla three times and got all different answers. You could tell there was a lack of confidence in the answers the people we giving me. Hence why I decided to go the route I went. Stupid me

For anyone interested in calculating a break even point between home charging and free supercharging, programmed a quick excel goal seek for your reference.

For me, I assume 10% supercharging if I had no FUSC (for road trips and hi-speed charging) which equate to 14,000 miles of road trips (and that's being generous). My breakeven point is somewhere around 5-6 years, and total break-even miles at 140k miles.

upload_2018-11-23_2-54-40.png

I would attach the excel file but forums don't allow macro enabled files.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roys3 and P85_DA
Holy cow. 100 pages 2001 replies and still no official statement from Tesla?
Ignoring IS the official statement. This is typical for most corporations, but disappointing from Tesla.

Performance 3 customers are probably a small subset of customers. P3D- customers, smaller still. P3D- customers who got incentivised with free FUSC to order fast (like me), probably a very tiny group. The smaller the group the more you can screw them - and then simply ignore them when they speak up. --- I'm still hoping I'm wrong!

PS: They are probably loving it that they have caused a split (causing haves and have-nots) within the small Performance 3 group. This too is typical corporate strategy: Divide, and sit back, and laugh and ignore... I really really hope I'm wrong. Prove me wrong Tesla!

Last edited:
View attachment 355039 This is what Tesla responded to me after I asked multiple times what would be done for us P3d- owners. I stated that I would be willing to upgrade and buy hardware or would just like software. I am not looking for a hand out.
Kind-of just raises more questions: a ) Does Utah-Parker speak for all of Tesla (and/or Elon)? b) So if this "upgrade will strictly be a software upgrade" when do we get it? Bring it on! Get a professional driver and some software engineers together again!

This does seem to close the option of "full upgrade to PUP" (- if Utah-Parker really speaks for all of Tesla...).
(I always believed this was the least likely option for "equalizing/equivalent-izing" P3D- owners anyway.)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Ignoring IS the official statement. This is typical for most corporations, but disappointing from Tesla.

Performance 3 customers are probably a small subset of customers. P3D- customers, smaller still. P3D- customers who got incentivised with free FUSC to order fast (like me), probably a very tiny group. The smaller the group the more you can screw them - and then simply ignore them when they speak up. --- I'm still hoping I'm wrong!

PS: They are probably loving it that they have caused a split (causing haves and have-nots) within the small Performance 3 group. This too is typical corporate strategy: Divide, and sit back, and laugh and ignore... I really really hope I'm wrong. Prove me wrong Tesla!
1) all corps, particularly Tesla, have way too much to do to just stay afloat in this silly world of financial analysts running things... to have time to play vicious games.
2) IF that’s the way it happens, that P+ get fusc or $, and P get just fusc, then it does differentiate both from post price drop buyers who get neither... and many of which will get smaller tax credit.

Not that I like that answer...

I do not understand any logic that anybody has any entitlement to fusc AND $. Reality is Tesla is giving all pre price drop P buyers Fusc and some an option to trade it for $. You are no more entitled to it with referral or early order date.

• Love
1) all corps, particularly Tesla, have way too much to do to just stay afloat in this silly world of financial analysts running things... to have time to play vicious games.
2) IF that’s the way it happens, that P+ get fusc or $, and P get just fusc, then it does differentiate both from post price drop buyers who get neither... and many of which will get smaller tax credit.

Not that I like that answer...

I do not understand any logic that anybody has any entitlement to fusc AND $. Reality is Tesla is giving all pre price drop P buyers Fusc and some an option to trade it for $. You are no more entitled to it with referral or early order date.
I hope you are right, but I think financial analysts are exactly there to play tricky games.
Anyway, if they really are too busy to treat customers fairly then it's not "viscous" - just bone-headed. :)
Consistent pricing ain't that hard. Engineering and building great cats is VERY hard. They manage to do the later very well.

There are in fact 2 groups of FUSC'ers. Those that had it before the mess - and those that got it "gifted" after the mess began. - Lots of gifts going around - particularly for some!

Reactions: Big City
If this stands, who will be more pissed, the people who bought the P3D- for $64k that didn’t get the upgrade or the people like myself who paid the additional $5k for the P3D+?
BLAST FROM THE PAST - Pg. 1 of this thread. Guess we now know the answer to that question!
Some are now fat and happy - and disagreeing with the pissed-off remnant. Weird human nature I guess...
AND a congrats to spesler for starting this thread - and heading page 100! Thanks man.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: spesler and P85_DA
Can we just call it the 3P now and dispense with all this + - crap??
Yes, once they "equalize/equivalent-ize" all the P3 owners.
It's really not that hard. Why is Tesla struggling with such easy stuff?
Tesla: There is only one P3 on the menu now going forward - just finish fixing your error. You already admitted it was an error.

You guys should only blame yourselves.
You guys got a supercar with aero wheels and Prius tires. I am actually being nice ...
... but in that case why buy the performance model in the first place and not get the AWD or RWD?
You must be new to this thread since this has been answered before.

Short answer, because Tesla offered crap hardware in the + package and because most people who bought the - are disposing of the stock wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension the first chance they get in favor of aftermarket parts that are actually designed for the track. No need to by something for 5K that will end up in the garbage.

You must be new to this thread since this has been answered before.

Short answer, because Tesla offered crap hardware in the + package and because most people who bought the - are disposing of the stock wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension the first chance they get in favor of aftermarket parts that are actually designed for the track. No need to by something for 5K that will end up in the garbage.
More than just that as well. I would have bought the package if I knew the brakes to be upgraded hardware. I was told once by Tesla that they were and two times not. Communication was a mess. Also somepeople just want acceleration and didn't want to take a range hit.

If I even knew that the track mode was coming out and or that the brakes were more than just painted red. I would have jumped on the PUP