Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completely agree.

Personally I'm irked by this as I paid the $5K because it didn't make sense to me to just get the P without the brakes/wheels/suspension/etc. I was getting the P to have something special so I went all in.

It was further complicated by track mode where they had to account for people with the brake upgrade, and without.

I'm hoping they'll do some ludicrous mode to alleviate the pain and suffering. :p

Or I suppose I can alleviate the pain and suffering with free supercharging and my $7500 tax credit.

The other sad part is now we have to give up the + because there isn't anything special about it anymore. :-(
Still better than mine! Your going to be offered a refund of 5k right? So it's all good for you.

For me the P3d- did make more sense as I wasn't planning track the car but I do have a long commute to work. I did kinda want that package though I just didn't have any more car's to sell to get me there.

People who paid the extra $1k or $2k for AWD got screwed too, just a little less. Let's not also forget the extra $500 for the white seats that everyone had to eat in Q3.

Personally I feel like I deserve a refund for my $1k extra for the AWD and $500 extra for the white seats but as my name isn't Fred Lambert and I don't have a big website it seems I'm going to be SOL. Congrats to all the P3D owners though, as long you always buy the same car as Fred Lambert you'll always get refunds whenever you want!
Yea I lost on the white seats too. Absolute worst configuration to buy was mine. Pricing changed on the seats 2 days after I picked mine up.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Still better than mine! Your going to be offered a refund of 5k right? So it's all good for you.

For me the P3d- did make more sense as I wasn't planning track the car but I do have a long commute to work. I did kinda want that package though I just didn't have any more car's to sell to get me there.

I can't see any reality where I get refunded $5K.

That would be weird.

But, I could see being refunded $3K by court order when Tesla fesses up that it can't be done.

I already spent the money too. :p

Edit: Apparently there is the possibility of a refund if one gives up free supercharging. That's a bit weird, and I'll have to look into that.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rubicon Beast
I may be in the minority here, but I really like the Aero’s on my P3D- and I don’t really care about the brakes or the pedals. I may want the spoiler, not sure on that just yet.
Right there with you bud. I can dream of Tesla throwing in eap. Still I got the car I paid for. Its fast and puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. Maybe it took a hit today but I am not selling so no reason to get huffy. I hope they sell the crap out of these cars.

Reactions: preilly44
People who paid the extra $1k or $2k for AWD got screwed too, just a little less. Let's not also forget the extra $500 for the white seats that everyone had to eat in Q3.

Personally I feel like I deserve a refund for my $1k extra for the AWD and $500 extra for the white seats but as my name isn't Fred Lambert and I don't have a big website it seems I'm going to be SOL. Congrats to all the P3D owners though, as long you always buy the same car as Fred Lambert you'll always get refunds whenever you want!
I believe he confirmed it awhile back ago too.

Now that wasn't the initial plan, but Tesla owners are impressively effective at whining so we got it.

But, not all the parameters will be the same as I understand it.
You might feel differently if they had not even fixed the issues on your due bill and you car is now also missing bigger brakes, tires, wheels, spoiler, and brake pedeals though.

But whatever, whats done is done, but tesla is just losing a customer. Not that they care. But I don't want my wife to go through all this either since she was considering a Y. Worst car buying experience ever! I'd rather buy another Ford Lemon and let them buy it back from me than deal with all these tesla shenanigans.

You might feel differently if they had not even fixed the issues on your due bill and you car is now also missing bigger brakes, tires, wheels, spoiler, and brake pedeals though.

But whatever, whats done is done, but tesla is just losing a customer. Not that they care. But I don't want my wife to go through all this either since she was considering a Y. Worst car buying experience ever! I'd rather buy another Ford Lemon and let them buy it back from me than deal with all these tesla shenanigans.

I didn't have the best buying experience either.

In fact it was the complete opposite of what I experienced when I bought my 70D way back in 2015.

There was a ton of stuff wrong with the entire process.

The lack of communication from the DS on if the delivery date was on track
The attitude of sign first and then inspect (I refused)
Finding a glaring body defect on the car (the bumper was misaligned)

I sat there at the service center debating about whether to bail on Tesla completely.

I felt like they wasted my time to even have me come down to look at it.

This was also during the moment when things were looking pretty dim because of the whole "funding secured" tweet and the fallout from that.

So I almost walked away. But, then I decided to give them a chance to fix it through the due bill.

They did fix it, and I'm mostly happy with the fix (it could have been a bit better though).

I've been enjoying the car ever since so I don't think about it anymore. It's funny how I'm never mad at my decision when I'm driving the car.

If I had bailed I would have gotten the Porsce Taycan.

Now that doesn't mean I won't get the Porsche Taycan, but just that I'll enjoy the P3D until then. I'll never ever go back to ICE as my main commuter car. Why punish myself for the mistakes of Tesla?

Tesla is very much a company that changes things so quickly that it's really hard to make an informed/calculated decision. Instead you just wait till they punch your number, and then you buy. Where you then try to ignore anything that comes after.

It's purely random. Sometimes they raise prices and sometimes they lower them.

I have at least one coworker that's going to love the new pricing as they've been on the fence of whether to P or not to P.

Last edited:

Yea I lost on the white seats too. Absolute worst configuration to buy was mine. Pricing changed on the seats 2 days after I picked mine up.

This was a good lesson in the fact that one should read most of the posts before responding. I didn't know what kind of weird reality you lived in when you mentioned the $5K refund. Like you were smoking crack or something.

But, apparently that's real.

It seems like what happened is this moved pissed off Fred.

Fred is too important to Tesla so Elon offered the refund.

Do I have what happened right?

I've owned a Tesla vehicle since 2015 and in all that time I've never seen Tesla refund anyone after a major change. Except maybe something that was really close time frame wise.

I really liked having free supercharging, but it's a psychology thing. It's knowing I won't get charged, and don't have to hassle with it.

Just to be funny I'll probably invest that $5K into a solar energy dividend stock/fund, and then use the dividend to pay for supercharging. :)

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
This was a good lesson in the fact that one should read most of the posts before responding. I didn't know what kind of weird reality you lived in when you mentioned the $5K refund. Like you were smoking crack or something.

But, apparently that's real.

It seems like what happened is this moved pissed off Fred.

Fred is too important to Tesla so Elon offered the refund.

Do I have what happened right?

I've owned a Tesla vehicle since 2015 and in all that time I've never seen Tesla refund anyone after a major change. Except maybe something that was really close time frame wise.

I really liked having free supercharging, but it's a psychology thing. It's knowing I won't get charged, and don't have to hassle with it.

Just to be funny I'll probably invest that $5K into a solar energy dividend stock/fund, and then use the dividend to pay for supercharging. :)

Part of the shared experience of being a Tesla owner is being screwed by your neighbor with their cheaper, faster Tesla with more toys.

What caught everyone off guard including Elon was the size of the screw and the number of people getting screwed.

There wasn’t even a cover like “we wanted to compensate for the tax credit being cut in half” - it was a senseless change that ratcheted the boiling frog to 11 versus a slow cook that no one would have noticed.

It was so shocking that I private messaged @Maximilien that people were going to hate him for spreading a joke about free PUP.

He wasn’t joking. Fred is the most well known of those who push backed but it was coming regardless. Way too heavy a tremor to not be noticed by the various Tesla communities.

I'm not seeing anything that states the refund is specific to the P3D+.

Elons exact words are "We will offer those who ordered bought 3P either $5k back or free lifetime Supercharging".

Last edited:
With respect, I think it’s less about inevitable price cuts or entitlement but as Elon himself put it, “too much too soon” (Twitter). I didn’t feel entitled to a $5k refund, but it’s sure a bummer when you realize what could have been had you held out another couple months, especially when you waited in line two and a half years ago. Pretty legit that Elon is pulling hard for customer happiness though.
Anyone who bought a car 2 or 3 months ago is not about to sell it right now. How does letting other people buy a car at a discount reduce the happiness of people who got that they agreed to pay for, if it works great? How does the fact that someone else, maybe in another state, owns the same car but paid less, take away from the happiness of the original owner? Or is it only that it applies to someone on your street or someone you work with, but ok if it's a stranger on the other side of the continent? How exactly does this happiness with purchase work? If the price went up instead, that would make people who bought 2 months ago happy (again, you still have the same car, only that someone else in the world has to pay more)? What does it say about those people that it makes them unhappy is someone else gets a break on something, but happy if someone else has to pay more?

Last edited:
Anyone who bought a car 2 or 3 months ago is not about to sell it right now. How does letting other people buy a car at a discount reduce the happiness of people who got that they agreed to pay for, if it works great? How does the fact that someone else, maybe in another state, owns the same car but paid less, take away from the happiness of the original owner? Or is it only that it applies to someone on your street or someone you work with, but ok if it's a stranger on the other side of the continent? How exactly does this happiness with purchase work? If the price went up instead, that would make people who bought 2 months ago happy (again, you still have the same car, only that someone else in the world has to pay more)? What does it say about those people that it makes them unhappy is someone else gets a break on something, but happy if someone else has to pay more?

You gotta lay off the virtue signaling because your credibility as a real person would be questioned.

You take delivery of a car and 10 mins later it’s 5000 cheaper, you would feel nothing? That happened today.

Your wife/so finds someone that makes them happier than you ever did and you would feel nothing? You gonna tell me you are thrilled for her?

Certain things don’t bother people because they don’t see it or know how the sausage is made.

What Tesla did and to the degree that they did is of tremendous magnitude and in plain sight for all to see.

It took Elon a few hours after doubling down but he himself realizes he f’d up.

5,000 is a lot of money. Let me repeat, 5,000 is a lot of money to a lot of people. That shouldn’t be hard to comprehend.

Last edited:
You take delivery of a car and 10 mins later it’s 5000 cheaper, you would feel nothing? That happened today.

Your wife/so finds someone that makes them happier than you ever did and you would feel nothing?

Certain things don’t bother people because they don’t see it or know how the sausage is made.

What Tesla did and to the degree that they did is of tremendous magnitude and in plain sight for all to see.

5,000 is a lot of money. Let me repeat, 5,000 is a lot of money to a lot of people. You need to respect that.
So what's the threshold on "a lot of money to a lot of people" these days?

Is it $5,000?

What about $1,000? $2,000? $2,500?

If you are going to make this argument then everyone who paid more for AWD, or white seats, or different paint colors are also entitled to refunds. Because YOU need to respect that that's "a lot of money to a lot of people" too.

You don't get to arbitrarily set the value of "a lot of money to a lot of people" and neither does Fred Lambert.

If other people are getting $5k refunds, I should rightfully get a $1k (AWD) + $500 (white seats) + $500 (deep blue metallic paint) = $2,000 refund.

Is it $5,000?

If you are going to make this argument then everyone who paid more for AWD, or white seats, or different paint colors are also entitled to refunds. Because YOU need to respect that that's "a lot of money to a lot of people" too.

You don't get to arbitrarily set the value of "a lot of money to a lot of people" and neither does Fred Lambert.

If other people are getting $5k refunds, I should rightfully get a $1k (AWD) + $500 (white seats) + $500 (deep blue metallic paint) = $2,000 refund.

Then you should lobby for that as well. I will do my best to support you because it means a lot to you.

Are we gonna get anywhere? Maybe.. if we fail.. then we would have found $1,500 was too small a threshold to mobilize change from Elon.

When people are willing to act, that’s when you know the line has been crossed. It’s not an arbitrary amount that I came up with - the degree of outrage established the concensus.

For what it’s worth, I’m not trying to beat you at an argument. There’s no winners here. We all lost. Tesla being the biggest loser through an unforced error.

Last edited:

Is it $5,000?

If other people are getting $5k refunds, I should rightfully get a $1k (AWD) + $500 (white seats) = $1,500 refund.

Refunds do happen from time to time, but usually only if the price changes right after someone bought it. It's done as a favor to gain brand loyalty, and to have a happy customer.

I don't recall anything Tesla related that's of this magnitude or duration after quite a few of us bought it. I could understand if it was a week or two, and where the people didn't even have their cars yet.

Sometimes people just end up on the wrong end of a change.

If I was employed by Tesla I would have pushed for the change to take place after the end of the year to lower the blow to existing owners.

I think it's important to keep in mind who Tesla screwed over. It was Fred that heads up a very pro-Tesla website. A website that basically acts as communication delivery for Tesla. It was also hard core owners. If you look around on this thread a lot of multiple Tesla owning people have the P3D. For me it was my second Tesla.

So if your most lucrative customers are upset then maybe it works out to refund them despite the fact that on the whole its unfair. Life is hardly ever fair.

Last edited:
I can't see any reality where I get refunded $5K.

That would be weird.

But, I could see being refunded $3K by court order when Tesla fesses up that it can't be done.

I already spent the money too. :p

Edit: Apparently there is the possibility of a refund if one gives up free supercharging. That's a bit weird, and I'll have to look into that.
Regarding your edit is it if you got the P3 without performace upgrades? before the price change? Thats what I have. Is there a link, even if its just reddit? Thanks in advance.

Regarding your edit is it if you got the P3 without performace upgrades? before the price change? Thats what I have. Is there a link, even if its just reddit? Thanks in advance.

All we have now is Elon's tweet.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I interpret that as being any Model 3P owner gets a $5K refund if they bought it before this change.

You gotta lay off the virtue signaling because your credibility as a real person would be questioned.

Your wife/so finds someone that makes them happier than you ever did and you would feel nothing? You gonna tell me you are thrilled for her?

5,000 is a lot of money. Let me repeat, 5,000 is a lot of money to a lot of people. That shouldn’t be hard to comprehend.
Not sure what the wife example has to do with this subject. Maybe you meant to say, you married your wife and 2 months later after you find out the prom queen had a crush on you and you could have married her and now you feel like you made the wrong choice?

Back to the original topic - business transactions, it's simple, you agree on price for something, you get it, what else is there. You asked me how I would feel. Well, it just so happens I was in a very similar situation with Tesla including the $5K package for free on the Model S just few months ago (price went up by $2.5K, so technically car identical to mine would be $2.5K cheaper 2 months later). It didn't bother me at all. Maybe I just don't get it. What other people have or don't have doesn't affect my satisfaction with what I have. I wish everyone would have a Tesla, even the poorest drivers - I would hope it would make for faster moving traffic, so better for me. I make my choices based on information available at the time, and I don't look back. As long as I can honestly say to myself that given only the information I had when I made the decision, I would make the very same decision again, I sleep fine.

This kind of reminds me of people who sell their stock options from companies they work for, and then are sad if the stock goes up. If the stock goes down, that makes them feel like they made a great decision to sell when they did, but somehow they don't factor into that feeling that the rest of their stock options have devalued because the stock went down, and if the company stock is not going well they may also loose their jobs. Basically, they are rooting for their own detriment in order to justify some one time sell decision. Completely irrational, just like people here complaining that someone else will be able to get a more affordable Tesla.

But yes, I will agree that majority of people are irrational. Recently a very large poll (>1M people) about self driving cars showed that majority (>76%) people would support autonomous cars to implement a policy of minimizing the number of deaths, even if that meant killing passengers (e.g. run over 2 pedestrians to drive a car with single occupant into a concrete wall, choose to kill the occupant). However, when the question was turned around, people were asked whether they would purchase such a car or a car that would protect the occupants at all costs, significantly less than half of those same people said they'd pick the car that maximized death. So yes, there is a very significant portion of the population which is irrational and inconsistent in their own ethics even.

I was simply trying to point out the irrationality of the complains. People would be much happier if they were more rational.

Last edited: