Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize how Tesla has done this sort of thing before, but many people waited over 2 years to get the car of their dreams and then within a month or two of taking delivery they find out that they could have paid $5K less - that kinda sucks. It was just too much of a sudden change (as Elon said himself with "too much too soon").

Plus i don't think anyone (even Fred) asked for a refund, Elon offered that up on his own.
I’m old enough to remember people paying $10k over MSRP for PT Cruisers. New models are often more expensive when they first come out.
People are forgetting that the tax credit is going away so in reality the $5k price drop is actually only $1250k. That’s the proper spin.

Well I learned my lesson. Don't buy another tesla! Free loans for tesla, wait and wait and then delay after delay after delay. Then when you finally get your car they change the price drastically a week later.

Meanwhile, the service center is too busy to fix my P3D- I picked up last week.

I should have rejected the hell out of this car. Now I have a car with a door that won't close right, and a crooked frunk and trunk, and it needs to go to a body shop for paint work. Oh yea and no performance plus package either. I clearly made a poor decision in buying this car.

Oh wait I can upgrade to the car that costs the same price now for what like 9k more?

I hope some other companies come out with some decent EVs..

Oh but no free supercharging? I doubt I'll use more than $200 supercharging over the life of the vehicle.

Plus to top it off I wont even get track mode.

I should just be happy for what I have right? But I could have kept that entire chevy volt I sold for the difference in cost. We all vote with our wallets so i know what I must do next time around.

Last edited:
I’m old enough to remember people paying $10k over MSRP for PT Cruisers. New models are often more expensive when they first come out.
People are forgetting that the tax credit is going away so in reality the $5k price drop is actually only $1250k. That’s the proper spin.

The email they sent out today makes it sound like the tax credit should still be attainable, especially by west coast customers:

“New Model 3 Mid Range Battery and Lowered Model 3 Performance Pricing Available Now
We recently introduced the Model 3 Mid Range Battery option with Rear-Wheel Drive for $31,700.*

We also lowered the price of Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade Package to $49,700.*
$7,500 Federal Tax Credit Ending Soon
As a reminder, the Federal Tax Credit of $7,500 ends after December 31, 2018. Current delivery timelines are 4 weeks for the west coast, 6 weeks for central and 8 weeks for the east coast. For delivery under 4 weeks, you can pick up your car directly from our Fremont factory.”

Well I learned my lesson. Don't buy another tesla! Free loans for tesla, wait and wait and then delay after delay after delay. Then when you finally get your car they change the price drastically a week later.

I should have rejected the hell out of this car. Now I have a car with a door that won't close right, and a crooked frunk and trunk, and it needs to go to a body shop for paint work. Oh yea and no performance plus package either. I clearly made a poor decision in buying this car.

Oh wait I can upgrade to the car that costs the same price now for what like 9k more?

Oh but no free supercharging? I doubt I'll use more than $200 supercharging over the life of the vehicle.

I should just be happy for what I have right? But I could have kept that entire chevy volt I sold for the difference in cost. We all vote with our wallets so i know what I must do next time around.

Elon tweeted that all Performance Models get track mode, including P3D-.

Complain but not revolt - because at least current owners got full tax credit where as those future owners get half.

Psychology and perception my friend.
We get the tax credit because we waited forever for the car and gave out a free loan and took a chance on an unknown car.

It's great he is offering 5k back to those that ordered the performance package, but that does nothing for me.

We get the tax credit because we waited forever for the car and gave out a free loan and took a chance on an unknown car.

It's great he is offering 5k back to those that ordered the performance package, but that does nothing for me.

Definitely P3D- is in limbo zone for this. We will see how Tesla will take care of it. It is likely they may 5K upgrade for free or refund $5K.

If they refund P3D-, you guys still get good deal as the difference between P3D- and AWD gets smaller.
Also don't forget you guys get better range than us P3D+.

Reactions: Glamisduner

Elon confirmed tonight:

“We will enable track mode for all performance cars”

Specifically in a request about a P3-

This is what they should have done to start with. I would have bought the P3D+ at that price. $10k for just a power upgrade from 0-60mph was never a good deal.

I completely agree.

Personally I'm irked by this as I paid the $5K because it didn't make sense to me to just get the P without the brakes/wheels/suspension/etc. I was getting the P to have something special so I went all in.

It was further complicated by track mode where they had to account for people with the brake upgrade, and without.

I'm hoping they'll do some ludicrous mode to alleviate the pain and suffering. :p

Or I suppose I can alleviate the pain and suffering with free supercharging and my $7500 tax credit.

The other sad part is now we have to give up the + because there isn't anything special about it anymore. :-(

Well that's good. How about a free brake upgrade too!

I wish I would have stuck with the AWD, or just ordered the most basic LR RWD with no options no autopilot etc, or better yet a different EV.
People who paid the extra $1k or $2k for AWD got screwed too, just a little less. Let's not also forget the extra $500 for the white seats that everyone had to eat in Q3.

Personally I feel like I deserve a refund for my $1k extra for the AWD and $500 extra for the white seats but as my name isn't Fred Lambert and I don't have a big website it seems I'm going to be SOL. Congrats to all the P3D owners though, as long you always buy the same car as Fred Lambert you'll always get refunds whenever you want!