Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This I agree. Such a simple solution!

It won't cost Tesla a dime.

Tweeted this to Elon weeks ago. Feel free to retweet Elon and add in Tesla. You can lead a horse to water...

2F365475-EFFC-452B-8760-88AAECE6CAF3.jpeg

But even so, there was a marketing strategy before P3D- was discontinued, wasn't there? And that strategy was to artificially not give Track Mode to P3D- correct?

This is called assuming facts not in evidence.

There may be actual physical and programming reasons to make that choice.

And I see it's 3 days later now and still no P3D- has gotten track mode, while P3D+ owners have.

So apparently there is an actual reason for this, since obviously there's no marketing one now (in fact it's BAD marketing to withhold it now that the P3D- is off the menu if there's no REAL reason to)

That was revised with the price drop with one tweet for the P3D-, indicating even more that it was trivial to add to P3D- because there is no technical reason for withholding other than an executive decision.

See above. Apparently it's NOT trivial, since it hasn't actually happened.

I don't believe Track Mode is that brittle of a system that it can't take into account slight hardware differences

Things like clamping forces and heat capacity aren't "slight" differences when heavily using brakes in lieu of a real LSD both front and rear.

I could see them going back in and essentially making a "track mode -" based on the non upgraded HW and offering that- maybe that's why there's a delay in roll-out to those owners- they're still working on tuning a system based on the less capable HW.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
So you would give up free lifetime supercharging for PUP? That's really the only reasonable extension Tesla could do. Personally I would trade lifetime supercharging for $5k if that was already paid (and P3D+ still lose out on taxes and yearly fees). But I would not trade lifetime supercharging for a free PUP upgrade as I can do that for $2k and come out better and keep free lifetime SC.
Lifetime Free Supercharging is off the table, just like Premium Connectivity. These were contractual "baits" from Tesla to get me to order immediately.
There are folks in this thread who have used the term "bait and switch" - I'm starting to understand why...

Early 3P+ owners would have to give up FUSC as a condition. That’s called “Indian giving” (not meant to be derogatory).

No one has taken a photo of a check and there has been no official declaration from Tesla. Elon’s tweets were off the cuff and at times have been contradictory.

@chickensworth and I pushed for something that should make everyone happy from day 1 of this clusterfrak. New software option like Ludicrous gratis to early adopters. 5K for new buyers.

I think track mode comes to 3P-, but will take time due to software changes.

Anything and everything regarding track mode was with a 3P+. Not an aero wheel to be seen anywhere.
Right, FUSC that was contractually incentivised, "baited", and applied to early orders should not be taken away from anyone - even 3P+ owners who are getting rebated. Another Elon mistake to make it "either/or" for all...

I agree that P3D- owners are getting a bad deal. I picked mine up the day before the price drop. I didn't find out about it until Saturday, and then read that Elan would refund $5000, so I wasn't concerned.

The next day, I later called Tesla support and was told only PUP users were being refunded. She said that this issue was still being worked out, and she would file a ticket for me and told me to email support. I immediately sent an email and it's been two weeks with no response.

I understand why Tesla won't give us P3D- owners $5000. PUP upgrade costs to Tesla were a lot cheaper than $5000, maybe in the range of $1,500 - $2000. So it was not a bit hit for them as it would be to give the same deal to P3D- owners.

Personally, I like your options 3 and 4 (if you already had paid for EAP), and how about option 5) Give me free EAP. That would be the cheapest cost to Tesla, but yeah, what about people that paid for FSD. So EAP, 'd be happy

FUSC does not offer much value to me. I don't plan on taking long trips, and use my Model 3 mostly for local commuting.
I agree. Option 5) Free EAP should be on the table. Actually we are being way too nice to give Tesla all these options. :)
The few people who paid for FSD should be rebated - for many reasons actually...
FUSC can be another option - option 6) - Some will want it. Man, we are letting Tesla off easy!

Reactions: Perry
amen brother....just let the free lifetime supercharging be transferable adding value to the car to compensate for the lost value. Such a simple solution. It is very hard to see the nontransferable lifetime supercharging as having a 5K value
Yes, another option! Come on Tesla - do we have to do your work for you?! (We do the sales already...) Get your act together!

Reactions: Perry
Neither of those options help folks like me though

Well there’s two issues at play here for you.
One is the concern over 5000 overnight devaluation. The quoted tweets could mitigate that.

The second is unsupported EOL configuration when it comes 3P-.

That no one has any idea except Elon has a few tweets seeming to say it’s coming.

Independent of both of this, Elon can just announce Jan 1st that Ludicrous and HUD is coming to all performance Model 3!!!

Built in 2019 onwards only and no refit. Sorry.

One of my most unfunny sayings ever (but true)
Is

Want to know who got the best Tesla at the best price?

Your neighbor.

Last edited:
- You cared the most, so you paid the premium for 3P+, guaranteeing you access to track mode if/when Tesla releases it. You would then make aftermarket adjustments afterwards.
When I got my P3D-, Track Mode wasn't something everyone knew about. I definitely did not know that P- would not get it. All I knew is that I wanted the ultimate track car and to achieve that I would need to throw away all the PUP parts in the garbage or sell them (something I did not want to bother with) so it made more sense not to buy them in the first place.

Now that my car restricts my acceleration even in city driving because it constantly overheats (the dreaded dots), it's obvious that Track Mode is sorely needed if not for the drifting but for the extra cooling alone. It is a basic essential for all Ps because the extra acceleration they possess causes major overheating problems. Track Mode should be split up in several parts. You should be able to enable the battery max cooling option by itself in regular city driving because the standard cooling sucks.

Reactions: Roys3
Now that my car restricts my acceleration even in city driving because it constantly overheats (the dreaded dots), it's obvious that Track Mode is sorely needed if not for the drifting but for the extra cooling alone.

Something is wrong with your car if it's overheating in city driving. You should take it in for service.

Your last paragraph is exactly the entirety of the problem for me. I want to track my car and track mode makes the car Excel in that arena. Without track mode my sessions will be super limited time wise.
That's why I think everyone including AWD should at least get the max cooling and max regen part of track mode. I have no idea why they would withhold a cooling function that would fix the less than adequate standard cooling especially when it's just a software thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and Roys3
I could see them going back in and essentially making a "track mode -" based on the non upgraded HW and offering that- maybe that's why there's a delay in roll-out to those owners- they're still working on tuning a system based on the less capable HW.
If track mode is indeed so reliant on specific hardware instead of relying on a closed feedback loop sensor approach then I believe it is trash. Just think, if its like you say then no one with a P of any kind could change any hardware. You couldn't change the calipers, pads, rotors, suspension, wheels, tires, because if the system is that brittle it would break the moment anything superficial like that was changed. Track people are known to change parts. There is no way in hell Tesla engineers would not account for that. But we have proof that their design approach is sound by the fact that the odometer re-calibrates itself with GPS when you change the diameter of your tires.
tuning a system based on the less capable HW.
The other point is that some of Track Mode is not even based on different HW. For example the extra cooling option. There is no special HW for that and the P- gets hot just as fast as a P+ because of the extra acceleration. Or how about the higher regen. They could give both of those to us now if they wanted to since its just software.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roys3
Something is wrong with your car if it's overheating in city driving. You should take it in for service.
The service center told me there is nothing wrong with my car. What's wrong is that everybody else drives like a slug so Tesla calibrated the standard cooling to fit the standard driver. Since I push my car harder than most, I don't fit into that standard driver role so I need the extra track mode cooling for day to day driving. Also need the extra Track Mode regen if possible.