Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sincerely hope so. I know they'd still have had a profit, but at this stage, I think every dollar counts. I really do hope things work out well for all. I got a standard AWD and would be mad as hell if I had paid an extra $5K, but at the same time, I really want to see Tesla succeed. I hope this snafu doesn't hurt them too much.

So did some numbers based on bloomberg's tracker and troy's spreadhseet:

• 111,968 total M3's produced.
  • 5309 orders on Troy's tracker
  • 556 P3D orders (10.4%)
  • 335 "+" orders (6.3% or 60.2% of P3D orders).
Let say Tesla refunds us (which I don't think will happen), it would cost them (7065 P3D+), 35.3 million.

But honestly some type of consolation.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
I know this is something of a troll post but you all are just proving that transparent pricing is bad and the dealership model is good. Every other car company changes prices all the time and no one freaks out. The vast majority of cars get cheaper after the first year of production.

I agree.

I think the problem here was the amount of money that the price was changed by. If they had said 1 or 2k price reduction I wouldn't have care that much .... I think. In that case having free supercharing would have kept me happy.

I know this is something of a troll post but you all are just proving that transparent pricing is bad and the dealership model is good. Every other car company changes prices all the time and no one freaks out. The vast majority of cars get cheaper after the first year of production.

You have to navigate EQ as well as price elasticity of demand curves.

If Elon force bundled PUP and raised the price there would have been no issue.

Tesla angered people and made less money.

Lose lose.

Tesla’s method is fine, the execution and communication is cringeworthy.

Ya but this is after only a month for me!
Yep. It’s a tricky problem. If they lowered it by $1k every month for 5 months people would just wait to buy the car because they’d figure a price decrease was coming. That’s why the dealership model works. The MSRP stays the same but the incentives they give the dealers are always changing and customers have no idea what everyone else is paying.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I wonder if he's actually done the math on that $5000. I, personally, don't think the old $2000 was underpriced especially if used properly for long distance. For apartment dwellers and people without garages though it might be underpriced.

In a perfect world I'd still get free supercharging as a first day reservation holder and early adopter AND get $5000 back... oh and the diecast car. I still want that.

If you want the die cast model just go to the service center and ask for one. The will look up your vin and find out when you reserved and give you the car. Person I talked to said they were doing their best to get them to the people who should have gotten them.

Reactions: JeffK