Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P3D- and I’d still pick it again. I want the best of both worlds. Great acceleration and higher efficiency tires/rims. I don’t care about cosmetics. I don’t care if it’s a “software unlock” or not. Is it faster? Works for me. (Track Mode is a “software unlock” and everyone seems to want that.) I like being able to swap on my 19” Winter Sport tires and then go back to 18” Aeros in the spring. I want a car that’s fun for the 99.99% of the time I’m not on a track. I like having more rim options.

That said, Tesla really handled the communications on all this poorly. And a lot of people are complicating the argument. Elon valued Unlimited Supercharging as worth $5,000. He was offering an exchange for something he (in the heat of the moment?) believed would be comparable. He wasn’t offering a discount. Then it just exploded.

Like @MXWing, I believe the best solution is to come out with a Ludicrous Upgrade. Perhaps they can add a Launch Mode and get the 0-60 to 3.2 seconds. Give it for free to early adopters but charge new owners. Or, announce Track Mode will be bundled with a paid Ludicrous on future sales but everyone earlier is grandfathered it?

If that’s not possible, I do think it would be nice goodwill for P3- owners to optionally get those P3+ upgrades at cost. Not free, but not a profit center for Tesla. I don’t even think I’d want them, personally.

All they really need to do is make early adopters feel special for as little (or no) cost as possible. Ultimately, that’s best for Tesla as these owners are their best advertisement.

I have a P3D- and I’d still pick it again. I want the best of both worlds. Great acceleration and higher efficiency tires/rims. I don’t care about cosmetics. I don’t care if it’s a “software unlock” or not. Is it faster? Works for me. (Track Mode is a “software unlock” and everyone seems to want that.) I like being able to swap on my 19” Winter Sport tires and then go back to 18” Aeros in the spring. I want a car that’s fun for the 99.99% of the time I’m not on a track. I like having more rim options.

That said, Tesla really handled the communications on all this poorly. And a lot of people are complicating the argument. Elon valued Unlimited Supercharging as worth $5,000. He was offering an exchange for something he (in the heat of the moment?) believed would be comparable. He wasn’t offering a discount. Then it just exploded.

Like @MXWing, I believe the best solution is to come out with a Ludicrous Upgrade. Perhaps they can add a Launch Mode and get the 0-60 to 3.2 seconds. Give it for free to early adopters but charge new owners. Or, announce Track Mode will be bundled with a paid Ludicrous on future sales but everyone earlier is grandfathered it?

If that’s not possible, I do think it would be nice goodwill for P3- owners to optionally get those P3+ upgrades at cost. Not free, but not a profit center for Tesla. I don’t even think I’d want them, personally.

All they really need to do is make early adopters feel special for as little (or no) cost as possible. Ultimately, that’s best for Tesla as these owners are their best advertisement.
If I had an S and two 3's I'd agree with you. Sure you want a Ludicrous option. I would to.
P- folks don't need goodwill. We need equivalence for money paid.

Besides, wait till the penny-pinchers that will buy the $35K Model 3 come aboard. Those guys will never tolerate such price/value arbitrariness. Better Tesla straightens out its act now...

Last edited:
I received email asking for mailing address for check on 15th. Just responded with address today but did include a few lines on how I saw free supercharging as being connected to the referral incentive and not simply purchasing the car when I bought mine. Probably won’t go anywhere but wanted to let them know my thoughts.

Haven’t been charged for supercharging yet and my online account still says pay per use despite me getting confirmation they were working to correct it online. I definitely think there is a non zero chance we will keep free supercharging on account of their lack of proper organization.

Reactions: alloverx and Roys3
I received email asking for mailing address for check on 15th. Just responded with address today but did include a few lines on how I saw free supercharging as being connected to the referral incentive and not simply purchasing the car when I bought mine. Probably won’t go anywhere but wanted to let them know my thoughts.

Haven’t been charged for supercharging yet and my online account still says pay per use despite me getting confirmation they were working to correct it online. I definitely think there is a non zero chance we will keep free supercharging on account of their lack of proper organization.
If it was incentivised FUSC, not "Elon's gift to all", you SHOULD be able to keep it.

In my case they totally used it against me - saying: go away, no $5K, no upgrade, no anything for you... Just really bad vibe.

Your point about "lack of proper organization" is well taken. It can go for you or against you - hope it works for you!

I dug out my old email so everyone can see what they wrote:

"Vehicles equipped with Performance Upgrades Package are eligible for this refund in exchange for Free, Unlimited Supercharging.

I have ensured that you do take benefit from Free, Unlimited Supercharging as an early adopter of Model 3 Performance. We hope you enjoy your Model 3 for all of the features you do have.

We thank you for your commitment..."
blah, blah. Signed, no name, just: Tesla Support ref:_00D506dxX._500f1m5xdc:ref

I don't need no stinking "ensuring" for something I've already earned. :mad:

To me it feels like "Get lost you damn early adopter. Only Elon's recently "gifted" folks, and the new buyers, are privileged." ( - with $5K rebates, or free PUP.)

Last edited:
I offered to take FSD in exchange for $5000 refund while keeping FUSC. Tesla customer service replied this option is not on the table and that I have to give up FUSC in exchange for $5000. They also clearly stated that there will be no tax refund. Of course, I opted for $5000 for now. We will see if they come through with this since they repeatedly asked the same question over and over about FUSC over $5000 as if they said this enough that I would just change my mind about a refund. I only use FUSC occasionally for quick charging needs otherwise I charge at home or at work that is provided as a service. It is nice to have this feature, but it is not economically worth $5000.

I offered to take FSD in exchange for $5000 refund while keeping FUSC. Tesla customer service replied this option is not on the table and that I have to give up FUSC in exchange for $5000. They also clearly stated that there will be no tax refund. Of course, I opted for $5000 for now. We will see if they come through with this since they repeatedly asked the same question over and over about FUSC over $5000 as if they said this enough that I would just change my mind about a refund. I only use FUSC occasionally for quick charging needs otherwise I charge at home or at work that is provided as a service. It is nice to have this feature, but it is not economically worth $5000.
Yeah, I offered FSD as a low-cost-to-Tesla compromise too - got totally ignored...

I still think 90% of ya'll griping for TM mode will never be able to use it.

If Tesla comes out with an app for the P model that allows the car to make fart noises but charges $5k for the non-P models, at least half of you will bitch and complain as to how unfair it is and how badly you need to feel like your breaking wind while your in Track Mode in bumper to bumper traffic.

Doesn’t matter if they use it or not.

Nobody is allowed to have a better Tesla than me.

Nobody can buy a Tesla at a lower price than me.

Signed agreements are good for the moment but subject to negotiation in the future.

I like rolling the dice but want a do over when ithe dice doesn’t fall my way.

This is the summary for the entire thread.

Special award entitlement reward goes to the ONE person wanting to stage a sit in ruining the day of Tesla employees and Tesla customers who have nothing to do with that particular persons choices.

Can you guys just have a little sympathy. I have said numerous times that I am not in it about the money or want a better car than my neighbor.

Some here, are about the financial aspect.

All I really want is track mode software.

I still appreciate what Tesla is doing and hope that they can see a thread like this and realize that some early adopters that paid good money for a yet unproven car deserve a little attention.

Please oh Lord send me thy track mode.

• Funny
Reactions: MXWing and Roys3
Can you guys just have a little sympathy. I have said numerous times that I am not in it about the money or want a better car than my neighbor.

I still appreciate what Tesla is doing and hope that they can see a thread like this and realize that some early adopters that paid good money for a yet unproven car deserve a little attention.

TM works for me too! (Don't expect those guys to care.)
It's another arbitrary thing - should happen, was promised, but you never know!
The P- folks are not the chosen ones, but keep praying. :)

Reactions: Lucky13

No, they can't have sympathy. That's not the role they are playing on this thread.

After 7 years on this forum, there's a distinct pattern to these situations.

* Tesla does something where a group of people feel harmed.
* People flock to the thread to understand it.
* Usually, the thread becomes the main place to gather data and - eventually - deduce facts of the matter.
* Harmed people come on to vent.
* Some people make totally unrealistic demands. Recognize any?
* Somebody always says "we are doing this for Tesla's good, to teach them a lesson for when they get bigger".
* Somebody always says "I'm not going to let them off the hook"... gee, I'd love to see the hook!?!
* Unaffected people contend that impacted people are whining, or argue about why they have no right to feel wronged. Recognize any?
* At least one guy grabs hold of the thread, and has to make every other post. Recognize any?
* About 5 or 6 people become the main participants in the thread... repeating the same views ad nauseam and arguing with the others.

In the end, these threads serve a valuable purpose. Between the noise, they become a clearinghouse of information. I believe they help Tesla understand the level of passion and the sentiment of the crowd. They do watch these things. The threads also help people deal with their own frustration. Venting helps sometimes.

What is interesting in this case is that it seems most of the unaffected who are accusing others of whining are happily getting their $5k... and I'd wager that if Tesla had NOT offered PUP refunds, they'd be screaming like stuck pigs.

So be it. After a few of these episodes, you learn who the characters are (though the names change, the song remains the same), and you take with a grain of salt.

;););)

That was GREAT! I appreciate overview and experience. I'm a newb (not one of the privileged ones :) ), new to forums, and I just passed my 100th post - and was thinking of bagging out - now I'm more motivated to continue. Thanks tomas! (I'm sure others are thinking "Oh no!")

I fit into a bunch of those categories you listed. Venting for sure - but also wanting to see what's happening to others (am I the only one feeling or getting screwed?). I also want damn Tesla to improve! They suck in many categories!

Loved this part: "What is interesting in this case is that it seems most of the unaffected who are accusing others of whining are happily getting their $5k... and I'd wager that if Tesla had NOT offered PUP refunds, they'd be screaming like stuck pigs." - Agree completely!

I think this is a good point for me to go silent for a while - I'm not going away! I'll just observe for a while...

Last edited:

We all have sympathy and even empathy as anyone with a 3P is affected. There is a huge difference between asking for "goodwill relief" from Tesla versus expecting and demanding. The rebuttal is meant for the latter. I tweeted Musk and tried to rally as many people as I could to bring attention to the matter. In fact, my most hated/disagreed post here on TMC is me talking to the investors that Tesla is screwing up, mismanaging their pricing/product strategy and pissing a bunch of people off.

@caskater47 asked how to be productive on lobbying Tesla and I provided the best advice I could think of. I'm on board to help how I can but a 3P- owner should lead the charge:

Step 1 - Accept Tesla owes you/us nothing. Unless it was in the MVPA, you have no claims.

Step 2 - Lead an official movement or throw your support behind someone else who can be more influential.

Step 3 - Start email lists, facebook groups, gather everyone who feels aggrieved and would support your cause.

Step 4 - Give Tesla time to figure out their response. Q4 where people are going bat *sugar* crazy to get their cars is not a good time to force the issue.

Step 5 - Ask Tesla nicely for a response some time in 2019. Hope it is a generous one.

Step 6 - Whatever the response is, accept it. They owe you/us nothing.

In absence of proactive action, there isn't much to do other than "wait and see". I DO hope the 3P- gets track mode, if it can be done. I fault Tesla for being very poor at communicating expectations and differences between the two models.

I tell you legally and contractually, you have zero standing - at the same time recognize there is a perception/goodwill problem and will do anything I possibly can so everyone can be happy within reason. We are all Tesla owners here.

Last edited:
No, they can't have sympathy. That's not the role they are playing on this thread.

Wrong. I got on Elon's case and road in the wave in the first pages of this thread.

Unaffected people contend that impacted people are whining, or argue about why they have no right to feel wronged. Recognize any?

How about affected people who can see the big picture? Is there going to be a one hundred page thread for every change made? You perceive being wronged but thinking you are factually harmed is the problem.

* At least one guy grabs hold of the thread, and has to make every other post. Recognize any?

I should quit, but I am incapable of holding my tongue when I see bull *sugar*. One of my flaws.

What is interesting in this case is that it seems most of the unaffected who are accusing others of whining are happily getting their $5k... and I'd wager that if Tesla had NOT offered PUP refunds, they'd be screaming like stuck pigs.

It's not a refund, its an exchange. You have to give up something gifted to you in the past to "equal" a new buyer off the street. The PUP buyers paid the extra $5,000. All they get is a choice to trade one perk for another. Some will, some don't. The ones who do, lost a perk that Tesla may never offer again. The PUP buyers who choose to keep FUSC should be crying, but they are not.
They made their choice willingly now as they made their choice willingly to pay that extra $5,000 to begin with. I've also already made the economics argument many times why there is a difference between paying $5,000 and getting a refund versus paying 0 and expecting $5,000 worth of goods.

There's one more character your little story is missing:

* The one guy who embodies Dunning-Kruger and thinks he has it all figured out. Figured out to the point of wanting to "wage bets" and call BS on people because its impossible for anyone else to "out-think" that guy. Recognize any?

;)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Roys3 and MP3Mike

They won't give anything to early adopters with p3d-. If they come out with a new mode they will give it to new buyers with an even cheaper price. Too bad they can't just flash mine back to awd and refund me 11k.

Reactions: Roys3
It wasn't the plan originally to bring track mode to 3P-.
We didn't know that at the time. Early June when I ordered.
It doesn't take deep analytical skills to see that Tesla built/validated everything on the 3P+ and you never saw any "track demos" with cars that share the same brakes, wheels, tires and suspension as the 3MR.
Actually I exercise my analytical skills every day as a software engineer and having heard every interview with Elon, I developed an appreciation of his belief in adaptive general software systems over specifically tailored ones (i.e his Self driving approach compared to the competition demonstrates that), I was convinced that Track Mode would be a general closed loop adaptive feedback system. I still believe it is designed that way. That's how I would have written it.
It wasn't just "general software" you can just throw on any Tesla. By that logic, AWD should be able to get track mode software as well.
Exactly! I see no reason Track Mode would not work with AWD as is. It is kept away from them artificially to justify the premium cost of performance models. I believe Track Mode could even work with RWD with some slight modifications or even none if the software was written to detect capabilities.

This software design pattern is not new in Silicon Valley and has been around for 20+ years. For example, the video card and PC gaming industry works like this. Why do you think modern games work on basically all PCs with a wide range of capabilities? The game rendering engine adapts by providing different levels of rendering quality based on either detection or the caps reported by the video card. Who pioneered capability reporting in video cards? NVIDIA. What chips does the model 3 use on their two main boards? NVIDIA chips.

The only thing I see in the + as being more track capable are the larger rotors which will provide a longer time before brake fade. But the road conditions, temperature, driving characteristics, as well as other non hardware factors by themselves would change the threshold characteristics of the fade. So software would need to detect brake fade anyway even on P+. So even though the P- will fade a little sooner, the software should detect that and act accordingly for either car.

Who knew everyone wanted to track their Teslas... I get wanting the option but to be up in arms about it seems unnecessary for a “brag about it” feature that 95%+ of performance owners will never actually use.
Well first you have to understand that a significant portion of people who have turned to Teslas, especially M3, didn't necessarily do it to save the environment. Many like me have always wanted a fast car like the P3D but could never afford one. Before the M3, cars with this capability were way out of most people's price range. Now that this kind of performance is available to the common folk, all that pent up desire to go fast on the track has now been unleashed only to be stifled by yet another barrier, this time not a monetary one but an arbitrary choice from Elon to kill our fun by play favorites on who gets his all mighty blessing that is track mode. You can see how this can be frustrating especially when the communication is so poor keeping us in the dark not knowing when we'll get what after already spending $75K.

• Love
Reactions: dww12 and Roys3