Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What!? Wait a minute, so you want the P3D- which already got screwed the most to pay extra for the Track Mode as compared to the P3D+ who gets it free and 5K refund or the new buyers who get it free and get PUP parts for the same price we paid? The P3D- would get the raw end of the deal even if Track Mode is given to them for free.

The tweet that was released did say it would be an aftermarket solution, what that means to me is that additional components are required, or at an additional cost. I'm only paraphrasing the Tesla speak as I understand it. I don't want this but it is how I interpret their stance. You will have to wait "to develop an aftermarket solution"

That could mean several things:
1. Inspection of your current hardware and/or your logs. Maybe there will be some gifting of the TM to those early adopters with prepared cars and who are low risk. Could be a list of acceptable hardware like MPP brakes, PS4 tires or better I don't know, Maybe the PUP calipers are really needed for high level TM control of the stability control system. I'd much rather they work on making track mode available to all cars, and use a slider approach to the various differences between + and -, as well as normal AWD and RWD eventually. This seems less likely than #2 or #3
2. Buy in PUP or PUP+ for $6-10k only to the exact hardware P3D has or better. I could see an upgraded PUP+ or competition package available after purchase that gave real track shoes, rather than the P4S, and wider to boot, some upgraded forged and unique 19" lightweight rims, with the PUP brakes. This is the best way to justify the delay of TM to the P3D-. Give real competition package that forgets the low rolling resistance tires, and aims at pure performance. This way they can still sell a competition package option to the masses for 5k with purchase. Next time they go to the track with Randy Pobst looking to beat times they have a "stock" configuration that will blow away the best stock configuration previously. Could add some aggressive styling cues with wide aggressive rims and trim to visually separate the "Competition Package"
3. That Tesla just doesn't know yet how they will move with track mode for the P3D- and so this is intentionally vague.

You have to admire the effort and diligence, though! That’s not easy! I think he/she must be in love with you to spend such time.:p:p
My posts get both likes and dislikes. Its just a button.

Really though to those folks who bought P3D- and are looking for track mode, reread the tweet about P3D- and track mode and tell me that you think this indicates "You'll get it for free" While that would be really nice of Tesla, I'd say don't get your hopes up.

Reactions: P85_DA
Wasn’t there some story about cutting a baby in half versus having one alleged mother get 100% and the other alleged mother getting 0%?

I vote for cutting the baby in half. I have no issue with new buyers being able to get P3D+ for the price I paid for my P3D-. I do have issue with P3D+ guys that bought at the same time as I did getting the option for a $5k refund, while I get nothing.

I feel like Charlie at the end of the Chocolate factory tour getting nothing, only I didn’t steal any candy.

Last edited:
Wasn’t there some story about cutting a baby in half versus having one alleged mother get 100% and the other alleged mother getting 0%?

I vote for cutting the baby in half. I have no issue with new buyers being able to get P3D+ for the price I paid for my P3D-. I do have issue with P3D+ guys they bought at the same time as I did getting the option for a $5k refund, while I get nothing.

I feel like Charlie at the end of the Chocolate factory tour getting nothing, only I didn’t steal any candy.

But Tesla has had no official response to this yet, just the creation of the "Tweet Team" and Elons Tweeting, so everyone responding to the confusion just creates more confusion. Spinning out in forums looking at the results of other members emails to support but out of context, and obviously support is confused as well.

Tesla needs to make an official statement like ASAP. I'm imagining they will do so soon.

My posts get both likes and dislikes. Its just a button.

Really though to those folks who bought P3D- and are looking for track mode, reread the tweet about P3D- and track mode and tell me that you think this indicates "You'll get it for free" While that would be really nice of Tesla, I'd say don't get your hopes up.
Is this same old tweet or a new one?

But Tesla has had no official response to this yet, just the creation of the "Tweet Team" and Elons Tweeting, so everyone responding to the confusion just creates more confusion. Spinning out in forums looking at the results of other members emails to support but out of context, and obviously support is confused as well.

Tesla needs to make an official statement like ASAP. I'm imagining they will do so soon.
I’ve been told via email from Tesla that PUP buyers will be able to trade FUSC for $5k, but I only get to enjoy my FUSC (which I can’t even tell I have from within my tesla account).

Reactions: dww12
Same old tweet from Tesla
Tesla on Twitter

I’ve been told via email from Tesla that PUP buyers will be able to trade FUSC for $5k, but I only get to enjoy my FUSC (which I can’t even tell I have from within my tesla account).

While @Msjulie has had an email indicating she will get a 5k refund on her P3D Stealth. Maybe you just need to call yours a stealth?

My point is there are often conflicting messages between one CS rep and another, and without an official announcement I don't consider the matter settled. Problem is this is a common theme, just like the track mode fiasco.
Elon says that "We will enable track mode for all Performance cars"
While Tesla says "We’re working to provide an aftermarket Performance Upgrade Package when Track Mode becomes available"

What the real truth is only Tesla knows, or maybe they are just waiting to see if it would be a PR disaster or not, and making it up based on that. Folks who are very angry should join Twitter and post in the relevant threads. Call them on the carpet to make this right! Bad press will make them act.

• Love
Reactions: Perry
Tesla on Twitter

While @Msjulie has had an email indicating she will get a 5k refund on her P3D Stealth. Maybe you just need to call yours a stealth?

My point is there are often conflicting messages between one CS rep and another, and without an official announcement I don't consider the matter settled. Problem is this is a common theme, just like the track mode fiasco.
While Tesla says "We’re working to provide an aftermarket Performance Upgrade Package when Track Mode becomes available"

What the real truth is only Tesla knows, or maybe they are just waiting to see if it would be a PR disaster or not, and making it up based on that. Folks who are very angry should join Twitter and post in the relevant threads. Call them on the carpet to make this right! Bad press will make them act.
You have to look at context of time. The Tesla tweet was August. Musk’s tweet that TM would be on all Ps and his subsequent reconfirmation in response to question were October. Clearly the first release which recently came out was in development late August for PUP only as reflected in release notes.

Musk’s october tweets were at a point where he must have realized he had painted himself in a corner with the refund tweet.

Pure speculation: could be the reason they are taking so long to officially reply on this whole mess is that they’ve got some engineers looking at what it would take to further implement TM on non PUP, and what if any hardware parts are needed. That factors into financial, technical, legal, customer loyalty discussion that I believe is still under way in Tesla. For example, if engineering cost to create hardware agnostic track mode is more than $5k times the number of stealths sold, why do it?

Silly IMO, because as soon as a PUPster puts on snows and launches track mode, they are way way below the PUP spec, and even @Perry had better get off the road...

need a car.

You just have to learn to be satisfied with the car you got.

This whole PUP-gate is minuscule in scope compared to AP2 dropped on S and X owners in 2016.

Still working on that, but this S will never be as nice as the 3 I ordered!

That probably hurt but at least they didn't upgrade 1/2 the AP1 cars to AP2 and skip everyone else or some such weird policy!

Tesla on Twitter

How did that happen?
I just got this official response after asking if I could get a refund/Swap out FUSC for my P3D-:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support.

Tesla typically adjusts pricing as we find more efficiencies in manufacturing. In an effort to be transparent, we adjust the prices of our products to pass along the savings to our customers. This is in the spirit of continuous innovation and improvement.

Only vehicles equipped with Performance Upgrades Package are eligible for this refund in exchange for Free, Unlimited Supercharging.

I have ensured that you do take benefit from Free, Unlimited Supercharging as an early adopter of Model 3 Performance. We hope you enjoy your Model 3 for all of the features you do have.

We thank you for your commitment to transitioning our planet to sustainable energy.

Sincerely,
Tesla Support | 24/7 Customer Support: 877-798-3752
servlet.ImageServer

ref:_00D506dxX._500f1m6XDt:ref

How did that happen?
I just got this official response after asking if I could get a refund/Swap out FUSC for my P3D-:

Tesla typically adjusts pricing as we find more efficiencies in manufacturing. In an effort to be transparent, we adjust the prices of our products to pass along the savings to our customers. This is in the spirit of continuous innovation and improvement.

Only vehicles equipped with Performance Upgrades Package are eligible for this refund in exchange for Free, Unlimited Supercharging.

I have ensured that you do take benefit from Free, Unlimited Supercharging as an early adopter of Model 3 Performance. We hope you enjoy your Model 3 for all of the features you do have.

We thank you for your commitment to transitioning our planet to sustainable energy.

Sincerely,
servlet.ImageServer

That's the generic response everyone get even guys with PUP something get that reply. You have to email them and said that FUSC is not acceptable to you and see what happens.

Funny :) Though I feel I will have to nag them again sometime soon as I'm not sure which generic messages are more accurate than the next - I'm also told I will get TM but I believe nothing till it happens.. :(
See its just a matter of calling your car Stealth! You get TM too!
Seriously thought I think Tesla needs to make an official announcement and just put this all to bed. Free track mode for all! $5k refunds, get em while they are hot!

Reactions: Msjulie
How did that happen?

Sincerely,
servlet.ImageServer

This was the boilerplate email I received after my initial "confirmation" email that my refund was processing. It seems that this is their official internal position now FYI. I expected this anyway though.

• Informative
Reactions: MacGreiner
The tweet that was released did say it would be an aftermarket solution, what that means to me is that additional components are required, or at an additional cost. I'm only paraphrasing the Tesla speak as I understand it. I don't want this but it is how I interpret their stance. You will have to wait "to develop an aftermarket solution"

That could mean several things:
1. Inspection of your current hardware and/or your logs. Maybe there will be some gifting of the TM to those early adopters with prepared cars and who are low risk. Could be a list of acceptable hardware like MPP brakes, PS4 tires or better I don't know, Maybe the PUP calipers are really needed for high level TM control of the stability control system. I'd much rather they work on making track mode available to all cars, and use a slider approach to the various differences between + and -, as well as normal AWD and RWD eventually. This seems less likely than #2 or #3
2. Buy in PUP or PUP+ for $6-10k only to the exact hardware P3D has or better. I could see an upgraded PUP+ or competition package available after purchase that gave real track shoes, rather than the P4S, and wider to boot, some upgraded forged and unique 19" lightweight rims, with the PUP brakes. This is the best way to justify the delay of TM to the P3D-. Give real competition package that forgets the low rolling resistance tires, and aims at pure performance. This way they can still sell a competition package option to the masses for 5k with purchase. Next time they go to the track with Randy Pobst looking to beat times they have a "stock" configuration that will blow away the best stock configuration previously. Could add some aggressive styling cues with wide aggressive rims and trim to visually separate the "Competition Package"
3. That Tesla just doesn't know yet how they will move with track mode for the P3D- and so this is intentionally vague.
Probably 3. I don't think Tesla will turn into a certification institution determining if your car is up to standards for their precious Track Mode. Like I said before I don't think track mode requires any special hardware other than what's already on all the AWD cars. We'll see as soon as a P3D+ changes brake calipers and most of the so called performance parts to something better. According to the "Track mode needs special Tesla parts" argument, when that happens, Track Mode will suddenly break and not work correctly anymore. Something I do not believe at all.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jason_G and MP3Mike