Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My posts get both likes and dislikes. Its just a button.

Really though to those folks who bought P3D- and are looking for track mode, reread the tweet about P3D- and track mode and tell me that you think this indicates "You'll get it for free" While that would be really nice of Tesla, I'd say don't get your hopes up.
The way I read it is that we will get it for free if we get it because both tweets where in the context of reparations for 5K loss on P3D-. I agree that we may not get it at all because Elon is unpredictable and often breaks his promises.

Tesla needs to make an official statement like ASAP. I'm imagining they will do so soon.
Don't hold your breath. I think nothing will be done unless there is more pressure applied as in everyone bombarding customer support with emails and tweeting to Elon every time he is on twitter about it. I think if Elon hears the displeasure he will do something but right now he is so busy with much bigger issues he needs to tackle on a daily basis that this is very very far from his mind. We need to put it back into his mind.

This was the boilerplate email I received after my initial "confirmation" email that my refund was processing. It seems that this is their official internal position now FYI. I expected this anyway though.
Not this part "Only vehicles equipped with Performance Upgrades Package are eligible for this refund". This is not boiler plate and pretty specific. It implies that P3D+ are eligible and P3D- are not.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Not this part "Only vehicles equipped with Performance Upgrades Package are eligible for this refund". This is not boiler plate and pretty specific. It implies that P3D+ are eligible and P3D- are not.

The email I just got from Tesla support confirms that they won't provide this to people who don't have the PUP.

Interestingly I buried a question about getting the $5k in my email complaining that they still haven't paid off the lien on my traded vehicle more than 5 weeks later and I just paid my 2nd payment on it after not having the car anymore. I'm not sure what Tesla is doing with that chunk of cash but it's pretty unreasonable to not have dealt with this yet. For some reason they were able to answer the $5k question but not say anything about the lien. Sigh.

The email I just got from Tesla support confirms that they won't provide this to people who don't have the PUP.

Interestingly I buried a question about getting the $5k in my email complaining that they still haven't paid off the lien on my traded vehicle more than 5 weeks later and I just paid my 2nd payment on it after not having the car anymore. I'm not sure what Tesla is doing with that chunk of cash but it's pretty unreasonable to not have dealt with this yet. For some reason they were able to answer the $5k question but not say anything about the lien. Sigh.

Unfortunately sounds like the most common answer, I hope its not true though.

Reactions: Perry
In my negotiations with Parker at Tesla for the refund, i tried floating the idea that an acceleration upgrade for all early buyers would be preferred over cash back... and it would be something every P buyer could benefit from. For anyone holding their breath for a speed upgrade in lieu of the $5000 refund... Parker has unsurprisingly squashed that one with this expected response-

"Unfortunately, currently the maximum acceleration a Model 3 is designed to go is 3.3sec from 0-60mph."

So... i'm running out of reasons for Tesla to keep my money.

I didn't mean boilerplate in the terms to all who inquired. I meant it boilerplate to all who inquired that do not have PUP. I think they have made their official decision internally and have come up with a standard response now since that email was identical to the one I received. I never expected anything to come of it anyway. Still love my car!

In my negotiations with Parker at Tesla for the refund, i tried floating the idea that an acceleration upgrade for all early buyers would be preferred over cash back... and it would be something every P buyer could benefit from. For anyone holding their breath for a speed upgrade in lieu of the $5000 refund... Parker has unsurprisingly squashed that one with this expected response-

"Unfortunately, currently the maximum acceleration a Model 3 is designed to go is 3.3sec from 0-60mph."

So... i'm running out of reasons for Tesla to keep my money.

Well, Tesla is probably going the route of keeping things simple by offering 5000 or FUSC for 3P+.

More options would be nice but Tesla doesn’t want to mess with it.

I would of offered 5000 in credit. That’s the dastardly Apple move to make more money while giving you something back!

“Parker” is likely not the chief of engineering who can give us the authoritative response on maximum acceleration possible. :) that’s the go away answer unfortunately. :(

Unfortunately sounds like the most common answer, I hope its not true though.
Seems as if quite a few people have gotten identical so looks suspiciously like party line. I sent my missive in several weeks ago and have yet to get fusc off response. I personally find it hard to escalate further until I’ve got a response, but I’m ready if it comes.

Seems as if quite a few people have gotten identical so looks suspiciously like party line. I sent my missive in several weeks ago and have yet to get fusc off response. I personally find it hard to escalate further until I’ve got a response, but I’m ready if it comes.

If Tesla adopts this emerging "party line", that means they willfully won't "treat good customers fairly".
If Tesla adopts this emerging "party line", then they (just like any common corporation) willfully won't admit to a serious blunder.
If Tesla adopts this (at best) calcified, lazy and arbitrary line - it will deserve the hardest push-back we can muster...

"It's really not that hard to treat good customers fairly." I still think they can do it...

1. Buys brand new trim level at launch. Pays 5 grand extra for wheels, tires, spoiler, brakes.
2. Car is delivered without spoiler and badging. Tesla doesn't bother to mention this.
3. A short time later the exact same car drops $5k in price (not a different model year, not purchased from a different dealer with lower prices due to negotiation, not reduced in price due to newer model being offered)
4. New cars are being delivered with the full (now free) performance package.
5. Literally zero communication from Tesla regarding their fulfilling of my purchase contract.
6. Vague promise to refund $5k.
7. Bunch of people that don't own this car and weren't impacted telling me that I don't have a right to be upset.

Thank You for contacting Tesla Service Support! The refund you are referring to only applies to Performance Model 3 customers that purchased the Performance Upgrade Package. According to our records, you do not qualify for the refund.

Best regards,

-------------------------------------
Joel Parker | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
p. (877) 798-3752 | customersuppor[email protected]

Out of all the delays, missed delivery dates, and visits to the service center, this is what finally pisses me off. P3D- owners are being treated so poorly here. It’s not that I think I deserve a refund, it’s that others are getting it but we are not.

6. Vague promise to refund $5k.
7. Bunch of people that don't own this car and weren't impacted telling me that I don't have a right to be upset.
6 not vague. Every message, including the ones to non pup, say you are getting refund, which Tesla has no obligation to but is doing to retain customers.
7 I’ve been reading this thread since day 1 and 99% of posters are sympathetic re refund. There’s no bunch of people. Not on this thread anyway.

I just don’t get it. PUP owners should be ecstatic they are getting retroactive refund. Instead they are griping. If you don’t want it, send it to me:)!

I’m with @Stacks. I’m not bothered by the price I paid for stealth... I thought it through and agreed to it. Great car. I didn’t want those pup things. It’s the total inequity of this that burns me. And the PUP owners who are getting $5k manna from heaven are still whining regardless. :mad::eek:o_O

Oh nos... This track junkies are already looking to swap the rotors and pads on the P3D with PUP. What is going to happen now with their track mode? Impossible, why would someone run different hardware than what Tesla had while developing track mode....oh the humanity

Track Mode Comparison @ Buttonwillow

Track mode stays because the cars either had track mode, delivered with track mode, or were eligible based on what the car shipped with.

Tesla can’t validate or warranty what is done after delivery.

They can validate and warranty what was delivered to the customer.

Oh the humanity it is.

• Love
Tesla should also communicate directly to P3D- owners regarding track mode. They own them an explanation as to why they aren't able to use the software and if there will be any option to fix that. People get way more upset without clear answers.

6 not vague. Every message, including the ones to non pup, say you are getting refund, which Tesla has no obligation to but is doing to retain customers.
7 I’ve been reading this thread since day 1 and 99% of posters are sympathetic re refund. There’s no bunch of people. Not on this thread anyway.

I just don’t get it. PUP owners should be ecstatic they are getting retroactive refund. Instead they are griping. If you don’t want it, send it to me:)!

I’m with @Stacks. I’m not bothered by the price I paid for stealth... I thought it through and agreed to it. Great car. I didn’t want those pup things. It’s the total inequity of this that burns me. And the PUP owners who are getting $5k manna from heaven are still whining regardless. :mad::eek:o_O
I have never received anything close to a message that says I'm getting a refund. My emails have not been replied to. When I called I got a standard message that they don't know what's going on, but that I'm some list. Yes, I definitely agree that they don't have to do anything for us. Assuming that it does happen then this just solidifies my belief that Tesla is a company that genuinely attempts to be fair to their customers.

On the second bit, of course it's the loudest people that get the attention. I can't comment on the larger group. I'm not whining, but I'm keeping my elation in check until Tesla actually tells me that I'm getting a refund. There is a common thread in most of these arguments, Tesla is not great at communicating. As they break out of the early adopter stage and into the mass market that will be an even larger issue. Average Joes aren't as forgiving (and to be fair aren't as persnickety regarding 100 delivery checklists etc.)

I've been very patient on the spoiler bit. It's a shame that nobody told me about it and that we haven't received any communications, but I'm also a shareholder so I understood the Q3 crush. With the refund I won't be upset about new cars shipping with all components. If that wasn't happening I would be pretty upset TBH.

Reactions: Stacks and tomas
Thank You for contacting Tesla Service Support! The refund you are referring to only applies to Performance Model 3 customers that purchased the Performance Upgrade Package. According to our records, you do not qualify for the refund.

Best regards,

-------------------------------------
Joel Parker | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
p. (877) 798-3752 | customersuppor[email protected]

Out of all the delays, missed delivery dates, and visits to the service center, this is what finally pisses me off. P3D- owners are being treated so poorly here. It’s not that I think I deserve a refund, it’s that others are getting it but we are not.

Yeah and non of Elon's tweets says anything about onky cars with PUP will get the refund. He just said that 3P cars will be able to exhange supercharing.

Yeah and non of Elon's tweets says anything about onky cars with PUP will get the refund. He just said that 3P cars will be able to exhange supercharing.
I agree that is how he worded things, but a tweet is just a tweet. That was probably an off the cuff response on his part, he may have meant PUP buyers, or maybe he meant all P cars but he got shut down by finance. It's great having a CEO communicate to us directly, but sometimes that will come at the cost of clarity. Most companies wait for specifically crafted messages to come out that are approved by corp com.

I agree that is how he worded things, but a tweet is just a tweet. That was probably an off the cuff response on his part, he may have meant PUP buyers, or maybe he meant all P cars but he got shut down by finance. It's great having a CEO communicate to us directly, but sometimes that will come at the cost of clarity. Most companies wait for specifically crafted messages to come out that are approved by corp com.

Yeah but like I stated before I would take EAP or FSD or something else that I can transfer to the next owner of my car if I sell it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big City and P85_DA
Yeah but like I stated before I would take EAP or FSD or something else that I can transfer to the next owner of my car if I sell it.
I think many people would. IMO Tesla is missing an opportunity to save some cash.

For the D- guys, their situation is a little different than PUP buyers. Yes, it's hard to get refunded for something you didn't buy, but some type of good will concession shouldn't be out of the question. Offer them half price EAP or a set of 20" wheels maybe.

Reactions: Big City