Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Well someone has made some process changes over at Tesla. I'm a P3D Stealth owner and sent them a request for the $5K refund back in early November. It took them about a month to respond with the FUSC off email that I don't qualify. After seeing reference to Elon's tweet that stealth owners do qualify, I replied yesterday to the earlier FUSC off email politely referencing Elon's tweet. This morning I got a response apologizing for the confusion and yes, I do qualify and confirming I would forego FUSC for the $5K. I confirmed that I wanted the the rebate and my mailing address and within two minutes got another response that the check would be sent within 8 weeks. On top of that, I got the fart app yesterday which is entertaining the family to no end.

Looks like some pretty big improvements over in HQ. Maybe they hired @Msjulie as VP of Customer Service??

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie
This is a little bit of dilemma. I am happy that they clarified things, but I think I would opt for the brake upgrade and track mode if given the opportunity. I do think it is probably important to move ahead with the refund before they change their minds.

If no upgrade is available, my plan is to buy a set of 19" BBS staggered wheels in the spring.
You can buy better stuff with the 5K cash back and Track Mode is coming to all Ps anyway.

I think it will be difficult to get everything that Tesla offers for 5k. A nice set of wheels and tires will run you at least $3000, two piece rotors front of back cost around $2000. You still need to buy calipers and the cosmetic parts.
For the best stuff like Titan 7 forged wheels, tires, MPP sport coilovers, and MPP brake rotors, yes it will be close to 9K but that is still less than the original P3D+ price and you'll have way better parts for the track. MPP stated that the Stealth calipers are perfectly fine for the track and don't need replacement if you have their rotors, because the problem is rotor heat soak not stopping power.

And then you can sell the aero covers, aero wheels, stock rotors, stock suspension.

Last edited:
It'd be interesting if it (Track Mode) ends up being dynamic to work with any aftermarket gear.
I am confident it will be dynamic. It has to be since road conditions, tire ware, pad ware, etc. affect the performance of a car way more than the slight differences in parts between P+ and P-. And you also have to account for owners not sticking with original tires, pads, etc. At least 50% of owners will end up changing some or all of those parts with aftermarket parts eventually, just because stuff improves over time.

Reactions: Msjulie
Exactly, but it's not tuned for that, it's tuned for what comes with the performance upgrade package. If it worked with just any hardware, then they could have rolled it out for the non-pup versions right away instead of waiting until January.
If you read the article they were clearly tuning it with the upgraded tires and race brake pads. Maybe the version they released was tuned differently? People have driven it with upgraded tires and coilovers and had good results. I don't think this is nearly as complicated as everyone is making it out to be. Most people drive on the track with zero driver assistance features.

Reactions: Perry and MarkS22