Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or maybe they really do feel these cars will last a million miles...this would also explain the reason that free supercharging is not transferable. If you have a million zillion Tesla's cruising around because the motors last forever, free lifetime supercharging would be a continually growing economic cost
These cars won't even last 5 years. First the build quality is poor so they'll rattle themselves apart (not the skate which is well designed but the upper body and interior). Second, electric car tech is advancing so fast that I predict even 3 years from now these will be relics compared to the state of the art tech. We'll get solid state batteries, maybe super capacitors that can charge in 3 minutes, possibly 600-1000 mile range, dedicated motor per wheel, way better software and computing power to support self driving, possibly a new cockpit type with seats facing each-other around a center table, etc. The tech will improve so much that even if the car holds up, you won't want it because it will be so outdated.

These cars won't even last 5 years. First the build quality is poor so they'll rattle themselves apart (not the skate which is well designed but the upper body and interior). Second, electric car tech is advancing so fast that I predict even 3 years from now these will be relics compared to the state of the art tech. We'll get solid state batteries, maybe super capacitors that can charge in 3 minutes, possibly 600-1000 mile range, dedicated motor per wheel, way better software and computing power to support self driving, possibly a new cockpit type with seats facing each-other around a center table, etc. The tech will improve so much that even if the car holds up, you won't want it because it will be so outdated.

There are model S's well over 5 years old so as it says on one of my T-Shirts "I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong"...

well considering I have (now my sons) a 4 year old model S with well over 100 K miles that drives and looks like the day I got it, me thinks you are obviously mistaken. I like the ideas for the future though.

There are model S's well over 5 years old so as it says on one of my T-Shirts "I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong"...

well considering I have (now my sons) a 4 year old model S with well over 100 K miles that drives and looks like the day I got it, me thinks you are obviously mistaken. I like the ideas for the future though.
Ditto. 6 year old S still state of the art. Tesla’s designs are pretty timeless and the tech advances never happen as fast as the hype suggests.

I think innovation in the electric car space will speed up much faster than in the past 5-10 years. Its exponential.

When I got an S as a loaner when my 3 was in the shop I did already feel the S being outdated. The interior feels old style. The range was less. The traction control limitations where negatively more aggressive on the turns. It overheated almost immediately for me limiting acceleration. Overall I got a feeling of old tech.

My entire interior rattles worse than my 20 year old car. Took it in three times for this and they couldn't do nothing about it. It's just cheaply built. If its this bad now, imagine after a few years.

Sorry for your misery. The fact that you are somehow surviving such a daily shakedown must make you thankful for every new sunrise. I'm just thankful that I was somehow allowed to avoid such misery by being blessed with 2 atypical cars

I just realized this thread is 144 pages long. Let's go for a book.

Why not make it 200+ pages and title it "Anecdotes of the Psychology of Beginning P3D owners" by 200+ authors"?

Future Model 3 owners may find it useful before they go through another roller-coaster of buying and owning process. ;)

At least, they should not be surprised on Tesla's moves.

Reactions: caskater47
In order to push this towards 200 post, here is my newest email from Tesla; I have responded to them with my postal mail info.. Merry Christmas to me from Tesla I guess ;)

"Hi Julie,
I'm so sorry for the confusion that you've had with this refund. Per Elon and our leadership team, the process that we have is that all Model 3 performance owners that took delivery by 10/27 or paid for the higher price will receive the 5k refund in exchange for their free, unlimited Supercharging benefit. The refund does not include taxes and supercharging will be turned off once the check has been mailed out. The loss of supercharging applies to everyone regardless of if it was due to being an early adopter or if a referral code was used. We are also unable to exchange the refund for any other upgrades or parts

If this is something that you would like to proceed with, please reply to this email with a valid mailing address that we can send the check to and I will get the process started for you. Once I receive your information, you should receive your refund check within 4-8 weeks.

Thank you for reaching out and for your patience, "

Reactions: whatthe2
For the best stuff like Titan 7 forged wheels, tires, MPP sport coilovers, and MPP brake rotors, yes it will be close to 9K but that is still less than the original P3D+ price and you'll have way better parts for the track. MPP stated that the Stealth calipers are perfectly fine for the track and don't need replacement if you have their rotors, because the problem is rotor heat soak not stopping power.

And then you can sell the aero covers, aero wheels, stock rotors, stock suspension.

The MPP coilovers reuse the OEM top hats...IMO it would hard to sell the two front rotors, struts and coils. Most of the used Model S front rotors go for 150 on eBay.

As far as the build quality I am really happy with mine. No rattles what so ever.

In order to push this towards 200 post, here is my newest email from Tesla; I have responded to them with my postal mail info.. Merry Christmas to me from Tesla I guess ;)

"Hi Julie,
I'm so sorry for the confusion that you've had with this refund. Per Elon and our leadership team, the process that we have is that all Model 3 performance owners that took delivery by 10/27 or paid for the higher price will receive the 5k refund in exchange for their free, unlimited Supercharging benefit. The refund does not include taxes and supercharging will be turned off once the check has been mailed out. The loss of supercharging applies to everyone regardless of if it was due to being an early adopter or if a referral code was used. We are also unable to exchange the refund for any other upgrades or parts

If this is something that you would like to proceed with, please reply to this email with a valid mailing address that we can send the check to and I will get the process started for you. Once I receive your information, you should receive your refund check within 4-8 weeks.

Thank you for reaching out and for your patience, "
I've been holding off on posting anything as I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (including my own) but I've been working with my Service Center and my original sales team at possibly getting the PUP retrofitted into my car. I don't expect to hear anything back before the new year because of the holidays but I'm hopeful of some good news. The team has said they are very committed to "making things right" for everyone and I've gotten word that the "volume of affected owners is pretty small" which gives me hope that they will be able to accommodate such a request without breaking the bank for Tesla. This isn't over yet by a long shot. Will report back when I know more.