Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs AWD 0-60 Side-By-Side Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an interesting perspective, as most others that have driven both the RWD and AWD claim the AWD feels like it has a stronger punch off the line. Do you think the two cars feel the same in the rest of the acceleration (or at-speed) range, as well?
It might a a minuscule quicker 0-30 but it has that same brief lag off the line that the rwd has.
At speed the AWD definitely accelerates faster than the rwd. The 30-60 is where I really felt the difference between the two.
The post right above this one with the dragy times seems consistent with my qualitative experience.
I would note that my rwd had 19” and my AWD has 18 with the aero covers on. Both on .32 software. Rwd 32.2 and AWD 32.5

It might a a minuscule quicker 0-30 but it has that same brief lag off the line that the rwd has.
At speed the AWD definitely accelerates faster than the rwd. The 30-60 is where I really felt the difference between the two.
The post right above this one with the dragy times seems consistent with my qualitative experience.
I would note that my rwd had 19” and my AWD has 18 with the aero covers on. Both on .32 software. Rwd 32.2 and AWD 32.5
Very interesting. I have driven both, and my very subjective impression was that the AWD does not have the little bit of vanilla lag off the line that the RWD does. I was happy with the experience. I'm sure it is no P, but it responded well enough off the line to make me happy. No other data points needed for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: nogassnorlax
Very interesting. I have driven both, and my very subjective impression was that the AWD does not have the little bit of vanilla lag off the line that the RWD does. I was happy with the experience. I'm sure it is no P, but it responded well enough off the line to make me happy. No other data points needed for me.

The RWD is not al little lag it's quite a bit. If you compare a Model S D to the 3 AWD you can really feel a difference and the RWD 3 feels like a Prius in comparison.

you sure your not exaggerating a bit? :)

Having driven a 3LR on Sunday, I don't think he's exaggerating for that initial kick. Of course after it gets off the line it totally kicks a Prius butt with that constant linear acceleration. The RWD 3 gets the same delayed acceleration on most of the other EVs I've driven while the P3D definitely felt pretty much instantaneous. Still haven't driven a 3D, but I was going to hit up Deuce24 after I get my vehicle to compare.

Having driven a 3LR on Sunday, I don't think he's exaggerating for that initial kick. Of course after it gets off the line it totally kicks a Prius butt with that constant linear acceleration. The RWD 3 gets the same delayed acceleration on most of the other EVs I've driven while the P3D definitely felt pretty much instantaneous. Still haven't driven a 3D, but I was going to hit up Deuce24 after I get my vehicle to compare.

Ive driven both the long range and the performance version...its definitely a huge difference in acceleration but to compare it to a prius is Overkill.

Ive driven both the long range and the performance version...its definitely a huge difference in acceleration but to compare it to a prius is Overkill.

In comparison to a model S D. not an AWD 3. "Feels like" in comparison is not a spec but a relative comparison. If you drive a M3 LR and then a Model S 85D you will understand what I mean instantly. Off the line there is a big difference in these cars, even the M3 AWD.

In comparison to a model S D. not an AWD 3. "Feels like" in comparison is not a spec but a relative comparison. If you drive a M3 LR and then a Model S 85D you will understand what I mean instantly. Off the line there is a big difference in these cars, even the M3 AWD.

I'll just stop replying to this by saying I've also driven a P85D; comparing it to a prius is still Overkill imo.:)

Reactions: Blue in NC
Hey EVDRVN or JTesmod3, it appears you both have driven all three versions of the model 3.
Having driven the M3 LR, the lag was not appealing to me.
I have yet to drive the M3 AWD, some people say there is a lag, others do not...
Is the lag noticeable on the M3 awd?

I Havent driven the awd, i have driven the P awd...all ill say is that i dont drive fast or even very much care about taking corners at 80mph but if you are even thinking about getting a P awd and dont think you can afford it; DONT TEST DRIVE THE PERFORMANCE version, it will keep you up at night o_O:)

Being dead serious too; i have resisted the urge EVERY DAY to not upgrade to the P since i test drove it, i really can't say im not going to...my only hope is for tesla to give me a vin SOON! o_Oo_Oo_O

Totally feel your pain! Currently, I am living in “analysis paralysis” lol... I have test driven a Model S P100d and the Model 3 LR. The power in the Model S p100d was more then i need or want... That was clear.. And i was leaning toward the awd until i test drove the the 3 LR. The lag from 0-30 was enough for me to lean more heavily toward the p. Yes, i can afford both, but... Having watched some video's and reading and seeing the data, it just makes the decision harder.. But... I plan to make a final decision today...

have you seen the videos of the drag racing times between LR, AWD, and P?
3 rwd vs awd :
awd vs p :

The difference between the rwd and awd at the end of the 1/4 mile is 10mph, that is pretty amazing...
Then the P just blows away awd...

Decisions, decisions, decions... Good luck!

Totally feel your pain! Currently, I am living in “analysis paralysis” lol... I have test driven a Model S P100d and the Model 3 LR. The power in the Model S p100d was more then i need or want... That was clear.. And i was leaning toward the awd until i test drove the the 3 LR. The lag from 0-30 was enough for me to lean more heavily toward the p. Yes, i can afford both, but... Having watched some video's and reading and seeing the data, it just makes the decision harder.. But... I plan to make a final decision today...

have you seen the videos of the drag racing times between LR, AWD, and P?
3 rwd vs awd :
awd vs p :

The difference between the rwd and awd at the end of the 1/4 mile is 10mph, that is pretty amazing...
Then the P just blows away awd...

Decisions, decisions, decions... Good luck!

Believe me I've seen it all... I'm actually the first one to post those videos on this website!...i think ive gone crazy over this *hit!o_O

Believe me I've seen it all... I'm actually the first one to post those videos on this website!...i think ive gone crazy over this *hit!o_O

Totally believe you.. The nearest Tesla Showroom is a 7 hour round trip drive for me... And... Personally I would love to test drive the P. then... I would know... Currently, it is just a race against the clock... lol.. I have a reservation now, showing a late September delivery... I live in the mountains, and range and power are all things I want.... :D

The one solace I find in these forums... Many of us struggle with the same decisions... ;)

Totally believe you.. The nearest Tesla Showroom is a 7 hour round trip drive for me... And... Personally I would love to test drive the P. then... I would know... Currently, it is just a race against the clock... lol.. I have a reservation now, showing a late September delivery... I live in the mountains, and range and power are all things I want.... :D

The one solace I find in these forums... Many of us struggle with the same decisions... ;)

If you want those things (and drive like a mad man :)) the 10grand+ is easily justifiable to me. I can afford it, but i drive like a grandpa...when it comes down to it, i know i realistically wont be stomping on the peddle every stoplight and $1000+ for every 0.1 second is hard to justify when i know i wont be using it that often...but like i said i test drove the *ucking thing which is a blessing and a curse

• Funny
Reactions: Jedi2155
If you want those things (and drive like a mad man :)) the 10grand+ is easily justifiable to me. I can afford it, but i drive like a grandpa...when it comes down to it, i know i realistically wont be stomping on the peddle every stoplight and $1000+ for every 0.1 second is hard to justify when i know i wont be using it that often...but like i said i test drove the *ucking thing which is a blessing and a curse

I told myself the same thing. Test drive the RWD, then see if I'm happy with it. Don't go for the P3D test drive until I know I'm unhappy with the RWD. I ended up testing driving the P3D first now look at my signature.

I think the 10k is worth it to know that you'll be able to beat any non Tesla ludicrous car on the road. When I was driving the P85D, I don't floor it because I KNOW I will be able to kick any non Tesla P car's butt. Somehow knowing that makes me a more sane driver. AWD = fast car, PAWD = supercar. Usually the price difference between fast car and super car is way more than 10k.

Reactions: Adam3 and Jedi2155