Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. Regular Dual Motor "real world" performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my opinion on this (not just related to the OPs 2 cars.

TL ; DR version - "Fast" and "Slow" is relative to ones own experience driving cars.

Slightly longer version, opinion only, and I am not trying to pass myself off as any sort of expert....

How "Fast" or "slow" a car feels to someone is entirely dependent on what they are used to driving. When we drive, we quickly learn how much pressure to put on the "go" pedal to generate the propulsion we want. We know how much pedal travel generates how much thrust.

When we drive a car that, for a given depression of the pedal generates more thrust, it feels "fast" and if it doesnt generate the thrust we want at the depression of the pedal we are used to, it feels "slow".

"Fast" quickly starts to feel "normal" and the cycle repeats. The used to be "fast" becomes "normal" and anything slower than that becomes slow, thus needing more power to feel "fast" (and in the past, lead people to buy bigger and bigger engines, with more and more horsepower).

Back to the thread topic, the AWD feels very fast, a long as your daily driver isnt something faster. Whether its worth it or not is up to each individual. I usually recommend someone get the fastest thing they can afford, because eventually one will realize to get "faster" costs more than they can afford.... lol

Here is my opinion on this (not just related to the OPs 2 cars.

TL ; DR version - "Fast" and "Slow" is relative to ones own experience driving cars.

Slightly longer version, opinion only, and I am not trying to pass myself off as any sort of expert....

How "Fast" or "slow" a car feels to someone is entirely dependent on what they are used to driving.....

All true but the P feels fast even to folks who are used to very fast cars. I’ve given drives to a couple of my friends who have 400+hp cars (911, modded TTS) and they’ve all said “whoa this thing’s quick” with a big grin

I have driven both. I purchased the AWD Dual motor non Performance. I needed the 18" tires so I can get the snow package.
As far as acceleration... I would NOT want more. A couple days ago I almost put myself into someones trunk because I floored it on the on ramp. The car shot forward so fast I had to really hit the brakes. I have only had the car 9 days, but I always drive in traffic, and seems no one passes me unless I let them. Plus 11k is too much for 1 second on the 0-60. 4.5secs is plenty for me.

If you want more, get it. I test drove the performance for an entire day. It was very fun. Both cars are awesome.

Thank you all for your responses. Another quick, somewhat related, question: how long are you supposed to drive gently before you can drive spiritedly in a Tesla?

Until you get to your first stoplight or open road. The "breaking-in" is mostly to seal and sync the engine with the transmission - Teslas have none of those :)

Though I have heard to not slam on the brakes unless it's an emergency during the first 1000 miles for all cars including Teslas, but I'm not sure why.

Until you get to your first stoplight or open road. The "breaking-in" is mostly to seal and sync the engine with the transmission - Teslas have none of those :)

Though I have heard to not slam on the brakes unless it's an emergency during the first 1000 miles for all cars including Teslas, but I'm not sure why.

I didn't mean break in period but rather when you first start up. With ICE cars, I drive 10 minutes or so gently before revving past 3K rpm.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
I didn't mean break in period but rather when you first start up. With ICE cars, I drive 10 minutes or so gently before revving past 3K rpm.
No restriction. With ICE you are doing that to let the engine get to temp and the oil to lubricate the moving parts.

Having said that, in cold or super hot situations tesla’s Battery management system may restrict output. But there’s nothing YOU. We’d to do. Or not do.

Also get the performance if you want to autocross or track the car. The stability control on the AWD is pretty intrusive and annoying.
Yes and no on the Autocross. If you're driving SCCA the P got bumped to B Street, from D Street. It isn't clear yet whether that's a wash or not. As for the S/C it does ultimately get in the way, and confines your driving style choices, but I'm hoping that the AWD version of the Party Box will largely clear that up. Although there hasn't been official explicit sanction yet that I'm aware of, it appears the Party Box will fall under the new "nanny defeat" rules and thus allowed in Street. That's the rule that for example now allows a Skip Shift defeat to be installed on Corvettes, where-as that used to be illegal in Street AFAIK.

That would be "bedding the pads", or "bed-in". It is the process of the pads wearing to fully conform with the disc surface plus lay down a small deposit layer that binds with the disc.

Uh, here's Tirerack's write-up about it; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

The period and optimum procedure for this varies from pad to pad. Most off-the-lot vehicles will be "just drive it normal", more aggressive racing pads can come with more aggressive procedures. Hawk Performance Premium Brake Pads, Rotors, & Kits | Hawk Performance

• Informative
Reactions: zhu-
All true but the P feels fast even to folks who are used to very fast cars. I’ve given drives to a couple of my friends who have 400+hp cars (911, modded TTS) and they’ve all said “whoa this thing’s quick” with a big grin

Oh yeah I agree... I told this story here on TMC elsewhere, but I took my BMW service advisor for a ride. Hes a car guy, not just a BMW guy and I have known him for 7 years. He has a modded e90 M3 with 20-30k in performance PARTs in it (he and the master tech are best friends so they just put the parts in on the weekend). His car is around 600HP I think he said...

Anyway I took him for a ride "around the block" and "hit it" a couple times and he was like WHOA!!! with a huge smile on his face. I took a corner "fast" and he was like "wow thats planted!". I think that 4 mile test drive showed him that its a drivers car.. he said he was impressed with a twinkle in his eyes. I know that twinkle.. .same one I had driving my model 3p the first time.

Reactions: stickman and Scott7
I test drove the Performance Model 3 then immediately thereafter drove the long-range dual all-wheel drive Model 3 on the same exact course on a combo of residential streets and highways. I can say, with certainty, that the performance model blew away the dual drive version, not only on acceleration but also hugging tighter around corners and overall better handling.

I'm not a car expert for sure, but it must be a combination of the 20" tires, lower ground clearance, and whatever else Tesla upgraded on the performance. Both batteries were charged at roughly the same percentage. When I bought my Model X in 2018, the delta from my 100D to the P100D was $40,000, which was way too much money. For Model 3, it's only a $10,000 increase for 3.2s vs. 4.5s, which along with the improved handling to me is a no-brainer.

So with the loan payment difference of about $160 per month, just ask yourself is it worth $5 a day to have the ultimate ride? Just skip your Starbucks coffee in the AM and enjoy your Performance Model 3!!!

I believe they were the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and the rims that come std on the Performance model as shown on Tesla's order page. Amazing car for sure.
And the D you also drove, the non-Performance AWD? I ask because I have found the PS4S rubber on the 18” rims alone provides a big cornering feel boost that sounds like what you describe. Unless you were using Track Mode, that’s probably the core difference there in handling.

The P is going to have a lot of jump over the though, knocking off a second in 0-60, spread fairly evenly across that range, is a nearly 25% time that is going to be very easy to feel if you use it.