Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personal safety while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me the ideal solution is for Tesla to post an armed security guard or two at the superchargers. If problems start happening at Super Chargers, Tesla will likely be forced to do something like this... So it might be a good idea to get ahead of the curve?

$8000/min burn and EPS of -4.01 kind of doesn't allow Tesla this luxury. Worse, is it transfers liability of your safety to Tesla which no one needs.

Protect yourself at all times.

To me the ideal solution is for Tesla to post an armed security guard or two at the superchargers. If problems start happening at Super Chargers, Tesla will likely be forced to do something like this... So it might be a good idea to get ahead of the curve?
Have you ever asked oil companies to put guards at gas stations? We all know stories about gas station problems ... stuff stolen out of car, people robbed while paying, etc.

In all seriousness, I think that we don't typically worry about gas stations because it's part of our 'normal'. Superchargers are new for new owners & many people worry when faced with the unfamiliar.

Have you ever asked oil companies to put guards at gas stations? We all know stories about gas station problems ... stuff stolen out of car, people robbed while paying, etc.

In all seriousness, I think that we don't typically worry about gas stations because it's part of our 'normal'. Superchargers are new for new owners & many people worry when faced with the unfamiliar.

Tesla is already selectively stationing guards at SuperChargers.

Here is one report:
Tesla Security Guards at Superchargers | Tesla

Here is another:
Security Guards at Super Charger Stations

We are parking very expensive cars, sometimes in out of the way places, sometimes in higher crime industrial parts of town. It’s hard for me to imagine problems not arising.

While parked overnight in an out of the way hotel destination charger spot, I had one of my cars vandalized with the charger plug broken off and the charge door smashed (probably because it was an electric car). Nothing else was broken or taken.

Here is one report:

Here is another:

Hmmm. I believe the majority of those cases were in early-/mid-2017 in California, because of incidents (or suspected incidents) of vandalism against the Supercharger hardware. I do not think they were tasked with protecting the safety of drivers/passengers. Nor was this is a system-wide practice.

Related to this was that several Teslas were broken into while charging at Manteca (Northern California) in 2017, but as far as I know no crimes against persons. Mall security seemed to make it a point to pass by the chargers fairly frequently on their patrols.

Bruce.

Here is one report:

Here is another:

We are parking very expensive cars, sometimes in out of the way places, sometimes in higher crime industrial parts of town. It’s hard for me to imagine problems not arising.

While parked overnight in an out of the way hotel destination charger spot, I had one of my cars vandalized with the charger plug broken off and the charge door smashed (probably because it was an electric car). Nothing else was broken or taken.

I'm well aware that these are expensive cars. Seven years, a Roadster Sport 2.5, Signature XP90D, and then finally, a Founders XP100D.

The only two problems I've ever had were 1) parked in front of an Einstein Bros Bagels, daylight, plugged into a J1772, and 2) parked in a monitored downtown SF garage. Neither instance had anything to do with a supercharger or being electric.

That's it in over 7 years. And, during that time, participating with other Roadster owners, then Model S, then X - no issues in those seven years, not seeing anything that would indicate problems like you're alluding to.

No doubt they've put security guards in some places. They've had some instances of supercharger vandalism. I'm not saying that issues cannot happen. Just my personal opinion that this thread is a touch over reactionary. My point with your other post was that the issues you're citing have happened at gas stations, but no one is posting about needing security there.

Reactions: dhrivnak

I agree with what you are saying in general but when we used to travel in an ICE vehicle, we would never go to a gas station in a sketchy neighborhood as the potential for issues goes up significantly in areas that already report a high rate of crime.

The only issue we've had with some supercharger locations is that some are located in industrial neighborhoods with a higher rate of crime and unlike gas stations, that are all over the place, sometime you may not have a choice.

As much as possible, I hope they situate superchargers in safer areas. This is not just for the safety of their customers but also to avoid instances of vandalism as well.

I agree with what you are saying in general but when we used to travel in an ICE vehicle, we would never go to a gas station in a sketchy neighborhood as the potential for issues goes up significantly in areas that already report a high rate of crime.

The only issue we've had with some supercharger locations is that some are located in industrial neighborhoods with a higher rate of crime and unlike gas stations, that are all over the place, sometime you may not have a choice.

As much as possible, I hope they situate superchargers in safer areas. This is not just for the safety of their customers but also to avoid instances of vandalism as well.
Absolutely agree regarding the fact that there may be places that don't feel right. If you look at my earlier posts in this thread, I'm advocating for common sense. If you feel uncomfortable, don't stop there to charge. Maybe it's Roadster experience/ training (no superchargers available & very few charging options in the wild ), I always have a backup plan for charging on a roadtrip. I think that will change as charging options become more and more numerous.

In reality, though, my night charging spots are usually Destination Chargers, so I can charge while I sleep. Superchargers are almost all daytime.

We don't need no armed security guards. Tesla could simply hire a teacher.

Couldn't you just make sure to fully charge just before dark? Then you would have at least 3 or 4 hours of charge to drive with. Then check in to a motel with a supercharger, sleep early, get up early, charge during breakfast, then drive during daylight. Who drives more than 12 to 14 hours in one day anyway? In anticipation of getting my Model 3, I stopped at every supercharger between NYC and Columbia SC on my last trip down there and took photos and noted which ones were most convenient and safe.

Couldn't you just make sure to fully charge just before dark? Then you would have at least 3 or 4 hours of charge to drive with. Then check in to a motel with a supercharger, sleep early, get up early, charge during breakfast, then drive during daylight. Who drives more than 12 to 14 hours in one day anyway? In anticipation of getting my Model 3, I stopped at every supercharger between NYC and Columbia SC on my last trip down there and took photos and noted which ones were most convenient and safe.

One might need to travel overnight to get to a destination by early the next morning. I personally have done some one-day out-and-back trips where my return leg had me Supercharging late at night.

Bruce.