Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't once considered complaining to Audi about the lack of a hitch in my A3, because....I fully understand....IT'S NOT....THAT...MARKET....SEGMENT.......
But... the same A3 is certified for light duty towing in Europe?
Yes, here in Sweden I can buy a hitch to Audi A3 so that you don’t need to have a Ford F-150 only to get away with some garden wast.

Normal view at a Sweidish recycling station

AEFB6734-D787-4C4B-93B9-7456C281291E.jpeg

Yes, here in Sweden I can buy a hitch to Audi A3 so that you don’t need to have a Ford F-150 only to get away with some garden wast.
Thanks, that is what I thought. We have a small utility trailer that we share with our son's family. We tow it filled with garden materials around 10 times per year for both of our families. Maximum weight much less than 1000 kg/2200 lb. We use a Volvo wagon and when towing it is almost unnoticeable. I have to remind myself when driving that I have a trailer back there.

Reactions: GSP
I'm sorry but why... I feel like its buying a Tesla then asking where are the spare tire and front grill. You have to know what type of car you are buying in my opinion. Toyota corolla's and camrys don't have tow hitches either. I own a BMW 528i and it doesn't have a tow hitch. You can buy a kit online and put one on if you want, but I personally don't want a tow hitch poking out of the back of my Tesla. I don't think the cars are made for that, and I don't want to damage my car putting all of that extra weight strain on it. I feel like if you add on a hitch and then screw something up in the car your warranty will be poof. I also think they don't want to have to account for all of those extra issues with an included tow hitch. More or less the Model 3 isn't going to get one. I don't think the community for "we must have tow hitch" are that big.

I'm sorry but why... I feel like its buying a Tesla then asking where are the spare tire and front grill. You have to know what type of car you are buying in my opinion. Toyota corolla's and camrys don't have tow hitches either. I own a BMW 528i and it doesn't have a tow hitch. You can buy a kit online and put one on if you want, but I personally don't want a tow hitch poking out of the back of my Tesla. I don't think the cars are made for that, and I don't want to damage my car putting all of that extra weight strain on it. I feel like if you add on a hitch and then screw something up in the car your warranty will be poof. I also think they don't want to have to account for all of those extra issues with an included tow hitch. More or less the Model 3 isn't going to get one. I don't think the community for "we must have tow hitch" are that big.
In Norway (the country in the world that by second most electric vehicles) the hitch is very popular. Because almost every home use trailers like in the image above. Some still have a separate ICE car just for that purpose, which should be unnecessary. Unless Volvo sedan or that small Fiat has a lot better quality than the Model 3 since they clearly handles towing...

A lot of people here say that the first EV company to release a cheap car that can tow will take most of the market share. Because there are only cheap ICE cars available now for that purpose... or the Model X that is too expensive for many people.

If Tesla wants to move the car industry away from fossil fuel they should make a car that can compete with cars with combustion engine. Right now Model X is the only BEV with towing hitch and if they don’t offer it maybe no other manufacturer will put hitch on ther electric car and most people here in Sweden and Norway would say that electric cars can’t compete with fossil cars. Would that accelerate the transition to electric car?
If Tesla said that they won’t make a electric pick up truck then I could be like you and say that pick up trucks isn’t necessary and that the American people should change there minds about pick ups. Sure, you could hope that Ford would start selling an electric pick up but if Tesla do it it will probably accelerate the other manufacturers to do the same.

If Tesla wants to move the car industry away from fossil fuel they should make a car that can compete with cars with combustion engine. Right now Model X is the only BEV with towing hitch and if they don’t offer it maybe no other manufacturer will put hitch on ther electric car and most people here in Sweden and Norway would say that electric cars can’t compete with fossil cars. Would that accelerate the transition to electric car?
If Tesla said that they won’t make a electric pick up truck then I could be like you and say that pick up trucks isn’t necessary and that the American people should change there minds about pick ups. Sure, you could hope that Ford would start selling an electric pick up but if Tesla do it it will probably accelerate the other manufacturers to do the same.

All well and good....but on the same token, does Ford put towing hitches on the Focus?

If Tesla makes a vehicle that SHOULD have a hitch to it, I'm sure they'll add it, but say it with me here.....

NOT. EVERY. VEHICLE. REQUIRES. A. HITCH.

Why aren't any of you complaining to Bugatti for leaving a hitch off of the Veyron?

All well and good....but on the same token, does Ford put towing hitches on the Focus?

If Tesla makes a vehicle that SHOULD have a hitch to it, I'm sure they'll add it, but say it with me here.....

NOT. EVERY. VEHICLE. REQUIRES. A. HITCH.

Why aren't any of you complaining to Bugatti for leaving a hitch off of the Veyron?
The reason is that a Bugatti Veyron isn't expected to be used as the only car or one of two car in the household. If you buy a Model 3 here in Sweden you probably have a Volkswagen Golf as your second car.

PS, here in Sweden you can get hitch for your Ford Focus directly from Ford.

Let’s hope other manufacturers then add hitch to there electric cars so that they can compete with fossil cars.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I noticed while visiting a Spanish friend a few years ago that the Focus sold in Europe (which she drives) is identical to the US model. Just checked over at Ford UK site to look at Focus specs: a tow bar is a factory option and the car has 'Trailer Sway Control when optional tow bar is fitted'.
„ —

Reactions: lukex4
Why do Norwegians specifically seem to have such a boner for towing trailers?
Why does American have such large need for pick up trucks?
If you want to throw something from the garden, want to buy something bigger that you don’t fit in the car and caravan. In Sweden we are less then 10 million people but earlier this year it was 287 135 caravans register in Sweden. What do you need to move that around?