Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Folks,

I haven’t upgraded to V9 yet, but my understanding is the screen no longer splits for viewing the rear camera and the map at the same time. If this is so, it’s a safety hazard because the rear camera is used to see the blind spots and I won’t compromise safety.

I do wish Tesla would hire an interface designer that has actually driven a car and realizes information needs to be seen at a glance rather than having to stare at the screen for several seconds to read the low contrast instrument cluster or tiny font size on the map. Whomever is designing the interface now should be moved to a job that he or she is more suited to.

The best interface was the very first interface that came with the car. It did everything perfect (except for the small map font sizes) from an interface perspective. I am very disappointed in the interface design direction Tesla is taking.

Jerry

I didn't realize that the camera was no longer at the top. What a stupid decision.

...viewing the rear camera and the map at the same time...

As stated earlier for this V9 change, although you can still see both rearview camera and the map at the same time but with a further restriction:

Your rearview camera cannot be on top half. It's replaceable with another app on the bottom half:

Upper half map and lower half with another app (rearview camera or browser or energy consumption...)

User Interface should be more user configurable and not less. So, this is very bad User Interface wise!!!

And pretty presumptuous. I've been on several trips where I use ABRP over the Tesla nav. Tesla nav just isn't that good.

Very good point!

This version is very anti-competitive and does not allow using the browser to replace Tesla map window:

If owner wants to use another map interface on a browser, there's no way to turn Tesla map window off thus it does not allow owner to use that space for other apps such as camera...

I wish I would have found this thread before last night when my car updated to the new version 9. This is a huge downgrade from the old split screen. Why in the world did tesla take this option away and dedicate the entire screen to the Navigation?!?!? Bad bad bad mistake Tesla.

I received a software update notice last night but fortunately I saw a lot of these threads this morning talking about the split screen UI change, so for now I’m holding off installing. Not sure how long before I’m driven crazy by the on screen sw update dialog box that pops up almost every time I start or stop the car

In the meantime today still on 8.1 I drove around with the (useless to me, around town) maps on top and rear camera on bottom, to “simulate” V9 for those of us that like rear camera on while driving. Useless down there on the bottom of the screen. :mad: Come on Tesla, give us back the option when not needing the Nav to put ANY app up top.

Guess I am glad mine hasn't updated yet. I too use camera top media on bottom the vast majority of the time.

Yes a silver lining. Before I saw this thread, i rebooted MCU and re-checked WiFi connection, hoping to improve odds of getting download.. Now I think will just hold off even when it arrives to see what the response will be. Always an adventure

Reactions: cbwbird
I'm in. v8 was bad enough with the breakage that caused.

The de-evolution of nagging from what actually worked with AP1 makes the car almost undrive-able in many situations. Fortunately when on traffic signal-rich roads, I can at least put the car in P and then D to reset the counter. It's just awful.

And the rear camera placement - yeah. Hell, v8 somewhere along the line made it so that the pane defaulted to the top anyway - and now this?

Very disappointed so far with v9. I did say that it would be prudent to wait for v9.2. But breaking such basic UI out of the gate? Shades of v8 all over again.

The competition is going to eat Tesla's lunch at this rate for the secondary cars (in town segment - see the Bolt, the upcoming Audi, and probably a Cadillac soon that improves upon what they already have) and with a quickness. The general public won't appreciate Tesla's competitive advantages (SC network, safest cars out there, innovative service model coming, and the list goes on) if they reject poor UI.

Id suggest that everyone submit an executive escalation to get some attention to this issue

to do this log into your Tesla account and then select to manage your car. In the support section use the drop down to select "escalate this concern for executive review" and enter your concern.

Heres what I submitted as an example...
"
Hello,

I have an issue with the new 9.0 software. I like to keep the rear view camera or the web browser on the top half of my screen when driving. It seems like this is no longer allowed with v9.0. I can’t seem to get anything but the map on the top portion of the screen. You have decreased the functionality of the 17 inch screen to only allow one user selected app to be displayed on the bottom of the display!? To top that off I RARELY use the in car maps on the main center display for more then a few moments especially since once I’ve entered a destination it displays turn by turn directions on the dashboard behind the steering wheel. At that point I switch the center display to rearview camera or web browser with WAZE. Please restore the ability to choose what applications I display on the top of my center console!

You should not be taking features away from customers, if anything we should have more user interface freedom, not less! For example how about letting us choose where things are displayed etc just like with a phone where you can move your most used applications around to be more functional
"

I never use maps on centre screen. The odd time I need to use navigation is when I just use it to punch in an address or place I need to go to and use the navigation in front of me. Maps on centre screen is going straight back to the rear view camera on top and media on bottom after I punched in the address.

Last edited:
Reactions: yodrak
In my honest opinion the split screen dynamic was removed to free up computing power. Granted I have yet to update as I’ve been away from my car on business but I’ve seen reports of better screen performance.

For those of you claiming the camera is for checking blind spots I can’t accept that as a real valid argument. At least on my S any rain or snow results in the camera being unusable. Do none of you drive in rain or snow? What is the method for checking blind spots on those days?

I find it remarkable how people will tout the software updates as a major benefit but when the updates don’t cater specifically to them suddenly their car has been “broken”. Rationale similar to travelers on vacation at Disney who scream at guest services about their ruined vacation because one ride out of dozens was closed during their trip. The car changes. We all knew this going in.

I am a bit puzzled, what’s the fascination with what’s behind you? I don’t think I have ever put my rear camera on the screen other than to show people you can have the rear camera in the screen.

I get why people are annoyed about now being able to place whatever you want whereever you want like v9 I am just interested to know why people have the rear view camera in all the time?