Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a bit puzzled, what’s the fascination with what’s behind you? I don’t think I have ever put my rear camera on the screen other than to show people you can have the rear camera in the screen.

I get why people are annoyed about now being able to place whatever you want whereever you want like v9 I am just interested to know why people have the rear view camera in all the time?
It's perfect for blind spot checking when switching lanes.

or those of you claiming the camera is for checking blind spots I can’t accept that as a real valid argument. At least on my S any rain or snow results in the camera being unusable. Do none of you drive in rain or snow? What is the method for checking blind spots on those days?
Rain certainly, not so much snow but some (as when I drove up to Thunder Bay last year), and I haven't found it to be a big problem. Rain mixed with mud would be an issue, but that's very rare for me. So it could be an issue in 1-2% of the my driving, when I have to rely on only the mirrors. Yes, setting the wing mirrors using the head wobble method also eliminates the blind spots and is a good secondary check, but looking in only one place (the centre display as the first place to see either side) is faster and more convenient.

You are just trying to see if something is there, not read the license plate number. The raindrops distort, but you can still tell if there is something there.

@Plug it in I urge everyone who feels this way to please submit an executive review! It will not be fixed by staying quiet or avoiding the update!!

Remember “ The squeaky wheel gets greased “:rolleyes:

Hopefully we can get Tesla to address the issue before you are forced to update due to a repair at the service center etc. :eek: For example if your drive unit fails they have to update your software after the install. :eek:

Last edited:
@Charlotte514 posting here does nothing to fix the issue. Please submit for an Executive review ...

I urge EVERYONE who feels this way to please submit an executive review! It will not be fixed by staying quiet or avoiding the update!!

To Escalate the issue for review log into your Tesla account and then select manage your car. Then under the support section use the drop down and select "escalate this concern for executive review" and enter your concern. I have an example of what I submitted on the second page of this thread. Also linked here Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

Remember “ The squeaky wheel gets greased “

Hopefully we can get Tesla to address the issue before you are forced to update due to a repair at the service center etc. For example if your drive unit fails they have to update your software after the install.

Reactions: GuyHall
I totally agree with you.
On the highway today, I found myself looking at the top of the screen before making a lane change all the time because I’m used to looking at the backup camera to check the blind spot. They need to change it back! We don’t need the navigation on all the time when driving on daily commute.

Daniel Sampaio
Owner since December 2017
Yup, I won’t update until it’s fixed. It will almost be dangerous after being used to having a blind spot camera for 6 years

For those of you claiming the camera is for checking blind spots I can’t accept that as a real valid argument. At least on my S any rain or snow results in the camera being unusable. Do none of you drive in rain or snow? What is the method for checking blind spots on those days?

The rear view camera is perfect for blind spots. In inclement weather, all forms of vision are less effective, so everything helps. Mirrors and windows get wet too.

I am a bit puzzled, what’s the fascination with what’s behind you? I don’t think I have ever put my rear camera on the screen other than to show people you can have the rear camera in the screen.

Great for blind spots, parking - forward and reverse. While driving I'm constantly checking my mirrors, side and rear view, and also the camera. It just helps my awareness of what cars are around me. My car is pre-ap, so no sensors helping me out. Not even parking/reverse sensors.

I might use the camera to double check rear view once in awhile but I use it a LOT with pull thru parking, and passengers always seem to think it is great idea.
On my old 3G connection I suspect map always up will get old fast.

Agreed! Didn't realize how dependent on it I was until its moved/gone. Really want it back on top. The map always visible is useless to me. It's like my car is constantly reminding me YOU ARE HERE. Yeah I know, thanks.

It's interesting that if the camera is not being used, and I shift to reverse, it appears top half. But when I bring it up through the app selector, it's only on bottom. So it seems the capability is there... but I guess Tesla knows best of how I should configure my screen?

I am a bit puzzled, what’s the fascination with what’s behind you?

It's not fascination, it's safety - knowing what's all around you. The wide angle of the rear camera covers back and sides - I can still see the rear end of a car pulling up along side at the same time as I can see the front end in my front door windows.

Not everyone feels the same way about the rear camera, nor does everyone feel the same way about wanting to see a map all the time. People should be able to see whatever they want to see when they want to see it. Pre V9 gave people two choices of things to see, now they have only one choice of their own and Tesla's choice.

having the rear camera active full time on top of the screen isn't about replacing checking blind spots with your mirrors or shoulder checking - it' about having an additional view available at a quick glance. Why would anyone want to take away the option for additional info about what's around you, in the most visible spot on top of the screen?

If it's not useful to some people, that's great you don't need to turn on the cam, but some of us do find it useful so let us keep putting it up top where it's most visible while driving.

Meanwhile, for those of us that don't need maps on full time for a typical driving day around town, that means with V9 at least half of the otherwise fantastic 17" screen is now wasted most of the time we're in the car. Giving drivers a choice of what 2 apps to put on that huge display as in v8 was a great feature of the car, unmatched by other vehicles.

And don't forget AP1 cars don't get the new v9 blind spot detection feature so it can't be argued that is replacement for rear camera to everyone. Forcing everyone to the maps-are-most-important view on the screen with only 1 possible app overlay down below is all about unifying the look (and likely code-base) of the entire product line and getting everybody ready for that coming-some(?)-day-in-the-future vision of FSD, where obviously maps will be the main user interface. Right now, it's more about making it pretty, than making it the most useful to all drivers, IMO.

Give the drivers a choice, like there was before - there are tons of other user-configurable items in the car, there's no technical reason why camera-up-top can't and shouldn't be one of them.

Give the drivers a choice, like there was before - there are tons of other user-configurable items in the car, there's no technical reason why camera-up-top can't and shouldn't be one of them.
Absolutely. A major enhancement could have to have 2 (or more] different web pages of my choosing, even with tabs - ABRB, TeslaWaze, TeslaWinds, my burning fireplace GIF, or my grandbaby. That would have been really great.

But instead we take a major step backwards. Disappointung. Self-driving is not why I bought this car otherwise I'd take the bus. But that's me.

I'm sure other EV manufacturers lurk here too and are making notes.

Version 9 is the updated Model 3 UI that has been adapted to the larger Model S and X screens by using the ‘always on’ navigation screen to fill up the empty space at the top of the screen. Since the Model 3 screen is ‘landscape’ sideways versus the Model S-X ‘portait’ tall the ‘extra’ windows such as the rear view camera and media center only show up on the bottom half the screen which is nearly ‘full screen’ on the Model 3. Thus the restriction of having only one ‘extra’ window opened at a time is due to the Model 3 screen size. This conformity between all Tesla models while simplifying Tesla’s software development and training costs basically leaves the ‘luxury’ Model S-X owner with the Model 3 user interface and is a downgrade of many features. For pre-autopilot and autopilot 1 owners Version 9 brings no benefits and the loss of functionality. For pre-autopilot and autopilot 1 owners the large blind spots of the Model S was corrected by using the line of sight (top of screen) always on rear view camera which is now not possible without looking down away from the road. Overall Model S-X owners have lost any useful functionality of their upper screen area. It might portend what Tesla is designing for the second generation of the Model S-X.

This conformity between all Tesla models while simplifying Tesla’s software development and training costs basically leaves the ‘luxury’ Model S-X owner with the Model 3 user interface and is a downgrade of many features. For pre-autopilot and autopilot 1 owners Version 9 brings no benefits and the loss of functionality. For pre-autopilot and autopilot 1 owners the large blind spots of the Model S was corrected by using the line of sight (top of screen) always on rear view camera which is now not possible without looking down away from the road. Overall Model S-X owners have lost any useful functionality of their upper screen area.
Exactly.
BTW hasn’t Elon in the past more than once thanked and acknowledged Model S/X (and Roadster) owners for helping enable Tesla achieve its mission of creating an affordable EV? So this is what we get in return now that the 3 is here - the dumbing-down of what was a big product differentiator and huge advantage with the 17” center screen, just to make the S/X more like its lower-end sibling. Gee, thanks

Your mirrors might not be set correctly then?
Good question(many have no clue how to do them correct!)
My mirrors are set correctly, they are pretty wide so that if I move a little to the left I can see the drivers side of my car and a little to the right to see the passenger side of my car...there is no way to see that I can clear someones's bumper through the mirrors for changing lanes(not cutting people off ;)) & with the camera and mirrors I can see everything without moving