Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"the point is not really about losing the camera on top. It’s really about losing the prior configurability to put ANY app of your choosing on top, other than maps. People that don’t need maps are effectively losing use of half of the big screen. A huge downgrade on an otherwise distinguishing feature of the S/X"

Agreed

Reactions: cbwbird and tinm
That is definitely not true. Have you taken a poll? I keep maps up every day. I navigate to home and work every day because traffic affects which way i go to get to home or work. Its different most days. Also when i am out driving without navigating, i want to see traffic speeds as i dart around to do errands and such.

Sucks for you that you have such a commute. But why should everyone have to deal with your problems? For the rest of us, with different issues and preferences, let's all hav a choice of what apps we can have shown on our touch screen. You can have your map, I can have whatever different I want. Why do I have to be forced to have your choice?

Maybe you would like to have my choice of primary display as the full-screen default and only get your NAV map as an overlay that you have to select every time you start your car?

Please don’t interpret that I think you are unjustified for your complaint.

Just the extremes of the complaints is what I have issue with.

Tesla engineers and executives made the choice of streamlining the OS across the platform. It has cost savings implications and for a miriad of reasons we don’t know about.

They probably have stats on every vehicle and how folks use the interface. Most likely the percentages weren’t high enough to affect the decision to keep the split screen.

Reactions: Raechris
Thank you MP3Mike, as I stand corrected as per your next post.

Original Post: "If just ONE child is saved from death by restoring the rear camera display to the TOP of the screen while in REVERSE, then all the complaining and lawyers fighting over this change of human factors design will be worth the effort."

However, in the past 6 years the reverse camera view has disappeared if other activity takes place while in reverse. It has required manual effort to bring the reverse camera view back. Hopefully that problem has been solved in version 9. The reverse view should always remain on the screen until the shift lever is moved from the reverse position.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeoDog
If just ONE child is saved from death by restoring the rear camera display to the TOP of the screen while in REVERSE, then all the complaining and lawyers fighting over this change of human factors design will be worth the effort.

But it does already go to the top when you are in reverse. (At least if you don't have the rear view camera on first.) ;)

I am a bit puzzled, what’s the fascination with what’s behind you? I don’t think I have ever put my rear camera on the screen other than to show people you can have the rear camera in the screen.

I get why people are annoyed about now being able to place whatever you want whereever you want like v9 I am just interested to know why people have the rear view camera in all the time?
Sounds like many people do. I am one of them. The limited ciew caused by the middle headrest makes it convenient to use the camera also.
Also I am another that rarely uses the nav, and when I do, once the address in put it, I rely on the binnacle for my nav.
I was impressed that I had a 17 inch screen to display my apps , being mist mist u that I could use it as 2 7 inch displays. Now it is a 17 gps, wich I can open a window to access another function. Look at the screen, the second app covers part of the GPS.
This is my major complaint of the model 3 diaplay when I rented one for the day. It's a shame that it is now how my model s is configured.

Many of us use this layout; camera on all the time, and media player (or energy app) on, no map needed.

Messages from Tesla indicate that they are breaking this in "version 9" of the software by forcing the map to cover half the screen and only allowing one other app to be up at a time.

This is a petition from Tesla Model S owners.

Tesla: Don't make this change -- it constitutes damage to our cars, by removing valuable functionality. We demand that Tesla retain the ability to have the camera and media player apps up simultaneously, and we request that they maintain this in future versions of the software. If you do not retain this functionality, we demand permanent warranty support for cars running the older (full-functionality) version of the software.

Anyone who agrees, please add your name and whatever other identifiying information might be useful. We can also discuss how best to send this message to Tesla (who are notoriously poor at listenting to customers).

Nathanael Nerode
Tesla Model S owner since 2013
I just spoke with Tesla -- they are taking names and if enough people request it, they will provide a rollback to v. 8 of the software. That, IMO, is not the best response to a crappy update but it's better than nothing.
If you call Tesla early in the morning you can get someone on the phone without a huge wait -- they'll ask for the last six of your VIN and will email you when the update is finished rolling out (they're doing it in tranches) to see if you want a rollback. If they get enough requests, they'll do it. I
Make yourselves heard, O ye who don't need NAV to find your way to work every day!!

I always have the camera on top and something else on the bottom. I rarely use the map. I agree that Tesla should fix this fix!

I can't understand why Tesla thinks sticking the camera only at the bottom (and only if the Media, Calendar, etc. aren't showing) is somehow an improvement.

Everyone should write to [email protected] and complain about this awful interface change.
I just spoke with Tesla -- they are taking names and if enough people request it, they will provide a rollback to v. 8 of the software. That, IMO, is not the best response to a crappy update but it's better than nothing.
If you call Tesla early in the morning you can get someone on the phone without a huge wait -- they'll ask for the last six of your VIN and will email you when the update is finished rolling out (they're doing it in tranches) to see if you want a rollback. If they get enough requests, they'll do it. I
Make yourselves heard, O ye who don't need NAV to find your way to work every day!!

Put it in another way: V9 causes User Interface inflexibility and it restricts users from the freedom to choose where they want 2 apps currently are in pre-V9.

The first restriction is the map covers the whole screen: You can't place it on the bottom.

The second restriction is you can't mix and match any 2 apps you want as long as the first app is always the mandatory whole-screen map:

You can place an additional app to the mandatory whole-screen map to partially cover the bottom but users cannot place 2 different other apps on at the same time and in any bottom/top combination that you want for example:

No Rearview Camera and Web browser at the same time.
No Rearview Camera and Energy Consumption at the same time.
No Web browser and Energy Consumption at the same time...

This kind of user interface restrictions is very frustrating.

I could understand why this kind of interface restriction on a less area of a Model 3 15" horizontal display.

But we are talking about a more spacious 17" vertical display.

There is no justification in abandoning the more liberal user freedom in a more expensive and more spacious Model S, X and future 2020 Roadster.

My SC just said they can't push older versions after a new version is available...bologna!

Last we heard Tesla implemented an anti-rollback feature in the firmware, so you actually can't install an older version even if you got it pushed to your car. (It isn't entirely uncommon I know that HP has done it on some of their printers and other network equipment.)

So I sort of question whether what @jhoughton1 was told is true or not. (My guess is that it is not true.)