Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to Overturn Dealership Franchise Laws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very bad idea. State franchise laws are not the federal government's bailiwick. Let's not federalize everything.

When a state screws up too badly you can move to another. It's much harder to leave the USA. The IRS will follow you anywhere in the world.

Anyway, I'm too old to move to Australia.

Signed ... but these are state laws that need to be dealt with, not federal.
If there is a federal law about interstate commerce, it trumps state law.

- - - Updated - - -

+1

Here's the text I used on my FB posting to share this petition with my friends:
Would you support your state legislature banning Apple stores? Or requiring you to buy all bread from a supermarket, instead of going to a bakery? Odds are that your state has laws just like this about new cars. And we all know how much value we get from car dealers.

Please support this petition to allow free markets to operate, rather continuing the monopoly power to car dealerships, even over new car brands that want to sell directly to consumers.

Bonnie and Bobw are right. This is a state by state business commerce issue, that and we really don't want to federalize everything.

Yet I understand the desire to make it simple in ending this absurd stranglehold.

Edit: Meanwhile I did vote, number 50. Got 99,950 more to go. Need spouses, aunts, uncles, parents, brothers, sisters, friends, neighbors and more to help this out though.

Last edited:
Signed ... but these are state laws that need to be dealt with, not federal.

At a certain point the little battles in each state need to an end, As Elon was quoted "if we're seeing nonstop battles at the state level, rather than fight 20 different state battles, I'd rather fight one federal battle." I would have to agree with Elon, therefore I signed the petition in hopes that a federal mandate would end the small law suits that keep showing up on green vehicle websites.

Signed (#67) and shared on facebook. I will be trying to get all my friends at work to sign it,probably later this week when it's a higher number so they actually feel like it's going somewhere. (sheep affect, right? haha)

- - - Updated - - -

In response to those saying it's a state issue...Even if that is true, if we can get a huge number of signatures it sends a message to the states what the people want and it can sway their opinion, perhaps?

To those saying it's a state issue, it's not. There is no justification and it's protectionism at work, with the rent-seeking dealers and other linked businesses the only ones gaining. As long as a manufacturer's product meets safety standards and consumer rights are protected there is no need to require a middle man as states like Texas do.

I've signed.

I agree with @ItsNotAboutTheMoney; the restrictions on interstate commerce imposed by these varied state regulations is squarely in the wheelhouse of the Interstate Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution, IMO. The current franchise dealer laws largely contain the following requirement, albeit sometimes dressed up to make it less apparent: "Only Texas businesses can sell cars in Texas." Can someone explain to my why Congress doesn't have the authority to sweep that restriction on interstate commerce away?

I can't think of any other industry where a manufacturer of a product is per se prohibited from selling that product to consumers. Prescription drugs and medical devices come close, but there's a legit health & safety argument there.