Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to rollback 5.8s suspension behavior modification at high speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now having had the modified height in my car for a couple of days, I would like to point out a few things, especially to those that chose to comment on this thread who have not had the opportunity to drive the car before and after the modification.

As a quick summary, the change has made to major changes:
The change raises the height in all ride modes by ~5/16".
The change eliminates lowering of the car at all at standard highway speeds, and to lower at all requires one to hit ~100mph and then maintain speed above ~70mph.

Now, this means that at highway speeds the center of gravity is now about 1" higher. For me, this was immediately noticeable, and significantly reduced handling through high speed corners. One of the main ways that Tesla was able to make such a large, heavy car feel smaller and lighter was by lowering the center of gravity. Losing an inch of lowered COG is significant and detrimental to handling.

Furthermore, even with Elon's statements, the exact nature of the promise is vague at best. Do we get the ability to to tell the car to lower at highway speeds again? Do we get the original ride heights if we want. Both?

Please count me in as a signature on this. This should be done in printed form, and mailed to Tesla. Preferable with a request that all who want to be downgraded to 5.6 may do so immediately.

Peter

i don't get all this petition noise.... what is the panic about 3/4" of ride height (or whatever it is)??

what is the concern here? slightly higher coefficient of drag?? a couple fewer miles of range on the highway? you'll get it back in a couple months. is driver safety and major PR fire management not worth a slight (slight....) sacrifice?

seems like much ado to me...... let the guy run his company for a second why don'tcha.

this has already been addressed

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mission-tesla

users will be able to change come a Jan update.

Guys cool down. Let this play out. NHTSA will confirm that MS is the safest car going. You will get your control in January and all will be fine. Just sit tight for a while. No need to overreact. The press just love this stuff. I can just see the headlines now. Tesla owners rebel against TM safety update. Don't feed the beast (the press).

Wow.
So everyone is up in arms about media overreaction to fires but then ready to storm Tesla HQ whining about a relatively insignificant potential drop in range due to a higher suspension setting? Mirror, mirror on the wall??

Drama Queens! I think this annoys me more than anything else I've read. You waited how long for the freakin' car? You can wait until January for the update. Take a step back and have a little perspective. It's nitpicking like this that only serves to convince outsiders that MS owners are self-absorbed rich people who can't abide not getting their way-- and no one wants to be associated with that. These attitudes will ruin electric cars' mainstream acceptance faster than price increases or fires. First world problems, I tell ya....

The change eliminates lowering of the car at all at standard highway speeds, and to lower at all requires one to hit ~100mph and then maintain speed above ~70mph.

wrong. wrong. wrong.

this change was not to eliminate the lowering of the vehicle. It was the raise the ground height clearance of each level by 5/16".

The fact that the car lowers at 96.5mph is a SOFTWARE BUG - a non-intentional change. AN ERROR MADE BY A SOFTWARE CODER that screwed up unit conversion. 60mph=96.5kph (which is in fact the trigger point for the low-height suspension, VERIFIED BY ME PERSONALLY as well as other TMC members. so right now you must hit 96.5mph to trigger auto-low suspension. They will probably roll out a patch fix for this ASAP to get the unit conversion right so that it auto-lowers at 60mph again (albiet, at 5/16" higher than previous software version).

i don't get all this petition noise.... what is the panic about 3/4" of ride height (or whatever it is)??

what is the concern here? slightly higher coefficient of drag?? a couple fewer miles of range on the highway? you'll get it back in a couple months. is driver safety and major PR fire management not worth a slight (slight....) sacrifice?

seems like much ado to me...... let the guy run his company for a second why don'tcha.

I am all in favor of his running his company. I take exception when he chooses to run MY car via his company. I paid for auto adjust and I am content with the lower stance. HE is the one telling us it is NOT a safety issue and I agree with him completely. It's not a safety issue. I should not have to pay for a "major PR fire management" issue. Nor do I need or want Tesla to fight for the lives of my grandchildren as another poster has stated. What I want is the car I paid for. What I want is to be treated like an adult that I am. What I want is communication not software slipped in through the backdoor. I don't need a nanny government nor do I need a nanny auto producer taking things away from me that I already paid for and then being so magnanimous as to maybe give it back months later.
KaCHING! (2 cents expired) and stepping off my soapbox now.

Yobigd20,

Who was this verified by? In all honesty, I really don't know who at Tesla I would trust to validate an issue such as this, perhaps Jerome? I'll note that Elon himself said "we have rolled out an over-the-air update to the air suspension that will result in greater ground clearance at highway speeds"

He clearly says "highway speeds", not all speeds such as we have seen with the 5/16".

Furthermore, given Tesla abysmal communication history, I'm just not sure how you can be so confident? If I kept track of the number of "guarantees" that I've personally been given by various people at Tesla, from store employees, to service center technicians, to Elon, George B., and Jerome themselves...

Peter

wrong. wrong. wrong.

this change was not to eliminate the lowering of the vehicle. It was the raise the ground height clearance of each level by 5/16".

The fact that the car lowers at 96.5mph is a SOFTWARE BUG - a non-intentional change. AN ERROR MADE BY A SOFTWARE CODER that screwed up unit conversion. 60mph=96.5kph (which is in fact the trigger point for the low-height suspension, VERIFIED BY ME PERSONALLY as well as other TMC members. so right now you must hit 96.5mph to trigger auto-low suspension. They will probably roll out a patch fix for this ASAP to get the unit conversion right so that it auto-lowers at 60mph again (albiet, at 5/16" higher than previous software version).

I am all in favor of his running his company. I take exception when he chooses to run MY car via his company. I paid for auto adjust and I am content with the lower stance. HE is the one telling us it is NOT a safety issue and I agree with him completely. It's not a safety issue. I should not have to pay for a "major PR fire management" issue. Nor do I need or want Tesla to fight for the lives of my grandchildren as another poster has stated. What I want is the car I paid for. What I want is to be treated like an adult that I am. What I want is communication not software slipped in through the backdoor. I don't need a nanny government nor do I need a nanny auto producer taking things away from me that I already paid for and then being so magnanimous as to maybe give it back months later.
KaCHING! (2 cents expired) and stepping off my soapbox now.

now hold up... You haven't even driven your car yet before or after the change. I agree with your general sentiment of "I can figure this out on my own, you don't need to control my car for me", I can be patient. You paid for a car, you're getting a car, and it will have everything you paid for. It's just temporarily going to have a slight change, just like those that were promised other things like sleep mode, rear kids seats, supercharging, and properly working navigation (among many other things). You paid for a car that can receive updates, and this is part of that. You knew that when you paid. For the most part, this is an awesome thing though.

relax for now,things will be fine. The moment you get your car, this will be the last thing on your mind, and you will love it. You probably won't even realize the difference.

/not_signed

I did not notice any difference in the way that I am driving with both energy usage and handling of the car. I would wait till Jan and see what they come up with. Maybe we will have an auto and custom settings. In the custom setting, maybe you can set how low the suspension height is and at what speed to do it.

Now having had the modified height in my car for a couple of days, I would like to point out a few things, especially to those that chose to comment on this thread who have not had the opportunity to drive the car before and after the modification.

As a quick summary, the change has made to major changes:
The change raises the height in all ride modes by ~5/16".

Now, this means that at highway speeds the center of gravity is now about 1" higher. For me, this was immediately noticeable, and significantly reduced handling through high speed corners. One of the main ways that Tesla was able to make such a large, heavy car feel smaller and lighter was by lowering the center of gravity. Losing an inch of lowered COG is significant and detrimental to handling.

Furthermore, even with Elon's statements, the exact nature of the promise is vague at best. Do we get the ability to to tell the car to lower at highway speeds again? Do we get the original ride heights if we want. Both?

Please count me in as a signature on this. This should be done in printed form, and mailed to Tesla. Preferable with a request that all who want to be downgraded to 5.6 may do so immediately.

Peter

Thanks for this. Though I would point out Elon's blog states that the January update will give control over "air suspension ride height transitions", so likely you will have flexibility to do what you want there, including original ride heights.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know how these new air suspension heights compare to the non-air suspension?

Nor do I need or want Tesla to fight for the lives of my grandchildren as another poster has stated.

Too late. Tesla has always been about your grandchildren from its day of conception. Did you not realize that?

What I want is to be treated like an adult that I am.

Then act like one.

What I want is communication not software slipped in through the backdoor. I don't need a nanny government nor do I need a nanny auto producer taking things away from me that I already paid for and then being so magnanimous as to maybe give it back months later.

Then communicate that to Tesla and your government in an adult manner, not via a rant on an Internet forum.

cupholders anyone?

There looks like there are two of them, but I find myself unable to two cups there at the same time. :tongue:

just use your shoe.
368asics-cup-holder.jpg

now hold up... You haven't even driven your car yet before or after the change. I agree with your general sentiment of "I can figure this out on my own, you don't need to control my car for me", I can be patient. You paid for a car, you're getting a car, and it will have everything you paid for. It's just temporarily going to have a slight change, just like those that were promised other things like sleep mode, rear kids seats, supercharging, and properly working navigation (among many other things). You paid for a car that can receive updates, and this is part of that. You knew that when you paid. For the most part, this is an awesome thing though.

relax for now,things will be fine. The moment you get your car, this will be the last thing on your mind, and you will love it. You probably won't even realize the difference.
Thanks Kraken for your input. And quite honestly, I agree with you. I KNOW I am going to love the car. I KNOW I won't realize the difference because I have not yet driven it. BUT--and this is a HUGE issue for me--I am not getting the car I paid for. I am getting a crippled version. I think it is WONDERFUL that a company has the ability to apply over-the-air fixes of this nature and I am certain this is going to be something I will definitely appreciate in the future. My major complaint is that Tesla not make these decisions for me and that they communicate openly with me what they are recommending. That's what it should be, a recommendation that I can either accept or reject.

Not trying to be a wise guy here, but my question would be:What gap needed to be stopped He says it is not about safety but the ability to reduce the risk. Then why up it by less than an inch? Why not two? Or fifteen? And why do it in such an underhanded way with no communication, no release notes, and no apologies? If I were concerned about clearance I would have kept my pickup!

The PR and perception of safety issue gap.