Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to rollback 5.8s suspension behavior modification at high speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because it's not all about you, that's why. There's a much bigger picture here, like the survival of Tesla and what they are trying to do for all of us and future generations.

At first the pettiness displayed over the last couple of weeks was mildly entertaining, then disappointing, and now it's just downright 1st grader temper tantrum territory. Way to give the naysayers and media enough fodder to last a lifetime. Tesla is fighting for its life here and fighting for the lives of your grandchildren and you just keep wanting to pee all over it. Keep it up and some of you may just get your wish of seeing Elon throw in the towel. If he does that, you'll have more to complain about then a two month wait for optional suspension height at highway speeds.
Nice capture of how some of us feel at this point. It's part of why I basically didn't bother to read the forums most of yesterday.

Too late. Tesla has always been about your grandchildren from its day of conception. Did you not realize that?

Then act like one.

Then communicate that to Tesla and your government in an adult manner, not via a rant on an Internet forum.

I respectfully submit that I am not ranting. I am stating my opinion and trying to do so as an adult. I have already communicated my concerns to Tesla. I sent them an e-mail at 7:21 this morning. I am interacting with other adults on this forum. I do not think it is childish to respond in this manner. Someone has chosen to take away something from me that I bought and paid for. They took it without my permission with a vague promise that they will return it in a couple of months. (Vague in that I do not know whether it will be completely restored or modified in some manner if someone chooses that it would be in the company's best interest to leave it crippled.) If we all agree that this is NOT a safety issue (and I certainly do), then the only purpose has to be PR. I feel like I am being penalized so Tesla can get a PR plus-up. I commend Mr. Musk for his confidence in his automobile and in the concern he has for our environment. The confidence I share with him. I think the fact that he is willing to cover fire damage is huge! It shows his commitment and in his shoes I would hope that I would do the same as he has done. But I did not buy this car for my grandchildren I bought it for me.

For all the hand wringing over this change, did any of you even notice it before people pointed it out? And also what actual difference does it make in range (is it even that significant in the first place)?

I honestly couldn't care less. I think it's hilarious that people are getting so worked up about it. They are going to add the functionality back in January (long before the next track season begins) :) I upgraded from 4.5 so the addition of sleep mode will probably more than offset any efficiency lost by traveling at speed without the car lowering. Even if I knew about the undocumented changes before upgrading I probably would still have chosen to upgrade from 4.5->5.8.

I guess I am in the minority and am very happy with 5.8. I am about to drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. I would rather give up a little range (probably hundreds of feet rather than miles) and handling that I would never notice to lower my risk of hitting road debris. I would rather someone else clear the path or pass over harmlessly.

Rather thanthan roll back to okay. I would like Tesla to take the opportunity to make active air awesome. I would like more smarts and more control, with any version full control is only avaliable when stopped.

I would like:
Height changes based on location. Why do I have to raise at the same intersection every day?
Crowd sourced height. If many Model S owners raise at a certain speed bump pop up a notice.
Presets with different transition speeds and heights.
Custom profiles with adjustable heights and transition speeds. SPORT, HIGHWAY, CITY, etc.
Allow raising to very high while decelerating

Someone has chosen to take away something from me that I bought and paid for. They took it without my permission with a vague promise that they will return it in a couple of months. (Vague in that I do not know whether it will be completely restored or modified in some manner if someone chooses that it would be in the company's best interest to leave it crippled.)

That's one way of looking at it. The other way is that someone chose to a) possibly protect you until the NHTSA investigation is over, and/or b) give you an additional option and upgrade that you didn't pay for if you'll just have a little patience.

If we all agree that this is NOT a safety issue (and I certainly do), then the only purpose has to be PR. I feel like I am being penalized so Tesla can get a PR plus-up.

We don't all agree (just look around the forum), and neither does the world at large. That's the whole point. If everyone agreed that it's not a safety issue none of what's happened over the last couple of weeks exists. And while you feel penalized by this change, others feel vindicated.

I think the fact that he is willing to cover fire damage is huge!

Would you look at that! You got something extra that you didn't pay for. Maybe a little perspective?

But I did not buy this car for my grandchildren I bought it for me.

Doesn't matter. Tesla has a mission and if you didn't want any part of that, you shouldn't have bought the car. It comes with the car by default. This isn't just any other car or any other car company.

Would you look at that! You got something extra that you didn't pay for. Maybe a little perspective?
Ooh, there's an interesting idea:

"Tesla announces that any owner that wants to have a 'permanent rollback' to 5.6 behavior can do so by signing a waiver opting out of the new fire damage coverage that Elon is offering."

There everybody is happy. They get exactly what they paid for immediately. Nothing more, nothing less. Right?

"Tesla announces that any owner that wants to have a 'permanent rollback' to 5.6 behavior can do so by signing a waiver opting out of the new fire damage coverage that Elon is offering."

There everybody is happy. They get exactly what they paid for immediately. Nothing more, nothing less. Right?

I am all in on this suggestion. In fact, I wrote my DS this morning asking that IF my car arrives at destination and has 5.6 please do NOT have them update to 5.8. But from an earlier post it looked as though the Rangers were being told, "Just do it!" I am not sure if that would include applying the upgrade if the customer specifically stated he/she did not want it applied.
@Krugerrand
Again I think you are missing my point. I am not trying to be nasty or childish but a) I do not need "protection" and b) it can only be an "option" if I get a say in the matter.

For all the hand wringing over this change, did any of you even notice it before people pointed it out? And also what actual difference does it make in range (is it even that significant in the first place)?

Yes, one trip around the DC beltway and I would have brought the car into the service center worried that a stabilizer bolt had broken.

I guess I am in the minority and am very happy with 5.8. I am about to drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. I would rather give up a little range (probably hundreds of feet rather than miles) and handling that I would never notice to lower my risk of hitting road debris. I would rather someone else clear the path or pass over harmlessly.

Rather thanthan roll back to okay. I would like Tesla to take the opportunity to make active air awesome. I would like more smarts and more control, with any version full control is only avaliable when stopped.

I would like:
Height changes based on location. Why do I have to raise at the same intersection every day?
Crowd sourced height. If many Model S owners raise at a certain speed bump pop up a notice.
Presets with different transition speeds and heights.
Custom profiles with adjustable heights and transition speeds. SPORT, HIGHWAY, CITY, etc.
Allow raising to very high while decelerating

Wow, all I want is what I had Friday, not to add such a long list of wishes on that it never gets done.

As to range, others have suggested it is about 10 Wh/mi, which seems to be very in the realm of reality. In that 270 miles of driving, that's 9 miles of difference. Quite a big difference from the hundreds of feet that you use to downplay others complaints.

I honestly couldn't care less. I think it's hilarious that people are getting so worked up about it. They are going to add the functionality back in January (long before the next track season begins) :) I upgraded from 4.5 so the addition of sleep mode will probably more than offset any efficiency lost by traveling at speed without the car lowering. Even if I knew about the undocumented changes before upgrading I probably would still have chosen to upgrade from 4.5->5.8.

I have been following Tesla for years and years, waited almost 4 years for my car and now have 25k miles on it. Part of my issue with this approach is that Tesla has lost all of my trust that they will simply follow through on a promise. In the cases where they have, it has only been after significant and constant reminding of the importance of said function. (3-phase charging, sleep mode, etc.). While I would really prefer to just sit back and not worry about it and "let the fix come in 8 weeks, I know that when overloaded, the quickest and easiest thing to do is leave a change the way it is, and move forward with another item on a long list of to-dos.

If they offered this, I would be thrilled, and sign immediately.

Peter

@Krugerrand
Again I think you are missing my point. I am not trying to be nasty or childish but a) I do not need "protection" and b) it can only be an "option" if I get a say in the matter.

I'm not missing your point and I don't actually disagree with your points here about protection or option. The fact remains you don't get to control everything in your life. Sometimes other people or entities have the power to do that for you and on your behalf, whether you request it or not. Sucks, I know, but that's how it works.

The car you've chosen to purchase has a wonderful benefit of being upgradeable for its lifetime. Those upgrades coming via the airways, at convenient times and for free, and without your permission. But like a coin, there's another side, and in this case you'll be recieving an upgrade (or downgrade) that you don't personally want. Again, without being asked. You take the good with the bad, or you buy cars like I do that are base models with hand crank windows and as few electronics as possible.

You knew all this going in or else you didn't do enough research. You can at this moment in time decide to take a deep breath, live with what you have, and be patient. Wait for the NHTSA's findings and if/when they find nothing of concern on the Model S, Tesla will send out another firmware update that gives you the option back of lowering your car at highway speeds - and it seems additional options in that category. Or, you can raise your blood pressure, stress out, and be upset, then still wait for the NHTSA's findings and the subsequent firmware update.

I'm not missing your point and I don't actually disagree with your points here about protection or option. The fact remains you don't get to control everything in your life. Sometimes other people or entities have the power to do that for you and on your behalf, whether you request it or not. Sucks, I know, but that's how it works.

The car you've chosen to purchase has a wonderful benefit of being upgradeable for its lifetime. Those upgrades coming via the airways, at convenient times and for free, and without your permission. But like a coin, there's another side, and in this case you'll be recieving an upgrade (or downgrade) that you don't personally want. Again, without being asked. You take the good with the bad, or you buy cars like I do that are base models with hand crank windows and as few electronics as possible.

You knew all this going in or else you didn't do enough research. You can at this moment in time decide to take a deep breath, live with what you have, and be patient. Wait for the NHTSA's findings and if/when they find nothing of concern on the Model S, Tesla will send out another firmware update that gives you the option back of lowering your car at highway speeds - and it seems additional options in that category. Or, you can raise your blood pressure, stress out, and be upset, then still wait for the NHTSA's findings and the subsequent firmware update.
Thanks Krugerrand, for your understanding. I did months of research and I was/am aware of the wonderful opportunities this car will provide. I have breathed deeply and I anticipate living (gloriously) with what I have. But I also want to make my views known to management and encourage others to do the same, in hopes that future updates (can't call it an upgrade) will be more completely communicated and documented PRIOR TO implementation.

- - - Updated - - -

Note to OP
I apologize for TOTALLY hijacking this petition thread. Obviously once I made my view known I should have started a new thread to carry on the discussion that entailed. I will definitely try to be more aware of this in future posting.

But I also want to make my views known to management and encourage others to do the same, in hopes that future updates (can't call it an upgrade) will be more completely communicated and documented PRIOR TO implementation.
I think that's a completely reasonable view. Perhaps Krugerrand is responding mainly because of some of the others taking more extreme views (like lawsuits).

i don't get all this petition noise.... what is the panic about 3/4" of ride height (or whatever it is)??

what is the concern here? slightly higher coefficient of drag?? a couple fewer miles of range on the highway? you'll get it back in a couple months. is driver safety and major PR fire management not worth a slight (slight....) sacrifice?

seems like much ado to me...... let the guy run his company for a second why don'tcha.

Agreed and my lowering links will be adjusted to a lower ride height this weekend

Here is an interesting tidbit:

Tesla is calling ALL owners not updated to assure 100% compliance with 5.8. There is a car that I sold last year. It is traveling in Canada with the new owner, and the ATT account does not work there. He is still on 4.5. Tesla service incorrectly still has me as the contact for this car and is calling me to determine how they can re-establish communication with the car.

I contacted the new owner and gave him the update on what is going on.

Seems a little heavy handed, or perhaps this was an NHTSA mandate to have all cars modified this way.

Tesla is calling ALL owners not updated to assure 100% compliance with 5.8. There is a car that I sold last year. It is traveling in Canada with the new owner, and the ATT account does not work there. He is still on 4.5. Tesla service incorrectly still has me as the contact for this car and is calling me to determine how they can re-establish communication with the car.

Interesting when taken in context with this comment made earlier in the thread...