Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Clean Fuel Rebate Check Bounced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first heard the news I wondered if this would happen. Guess I’m happy I got the $500 last year and not have to go through all this hassle even assuming they do make good on it. I guess the bankruptcy court shut down all bank accounts but am surprised the rebate program if separately funded wasn’t exempt by the Court. Some PG&E attorney should have made that clear unless maybe they were putting the funds for that in the same checking account.
Hopefully, this will get straightened out:
PG&E files for bankruptcy. Here’s why that could mean bigger electricity bills
The firm said it filed requests for authorization to continue paying employee wages and to continue existing customer programs, including energy efficiency and support for low-income ratepayers. It also said it intends to pay its suppliers under normal terms for goods and services provided on or after the date of the bankruptcy filing.
I'm just surprised they continued cutting and mailing out EV rebate checks after knowing they're filing for bankruptcy. I would have thought they would have held up issuing any payments until the dust settled over who gets paid how much and when.

When I first heard the news I wondered if this would happen. Guess I’m happy I got the $500 last year and not have to go through all this hassle even assuming they do make good on it. I guess the bankruptcy court shut down all bank accounts but am surprised the rebate program if separately funded wasn’t exempt by the Court. Some PG&E attorney should have made that clear unless maybe they were putting the funds for that in the same checking account.

I can see this going to cause some people big headaches if they wrote checks out on it and It causes bounced checks for them in their personal account. Doubt PG&E will cover bounced check fees, just the returned check fee on the deposit. While the image to the public may be that people who can afford to buy a Tesla (or other EV) should have money in their account so this wouldn’t be a problem bouncing checks due to a $800 deposit, I think a number of people are kind of living paycheck to paycheck expecially in this high cost area of California and bought an EV to save money. Also expect even those that do have reserve funds may not keep a lot in their general household account but transfer money in as they need it. So can see this happening to them too. Not a good public relations event for PG&E. And hearing in the news on top of this that they were handing out some bonuses before they filed and wanting to hand out more during this period.

I feel for many of the employees of the company who are faced with this bankrupcty proceeding. Lots of good people, and I’m sure many long time employees, likely impacted in one way or another. Those linemen/women especially who risk so much to get power connected in bad weather.

My bank charged me $12 for returned item, not b/c I wrote a check out on it and bounced back.

My bank charged me $12 for returned item, not b/c I wrote a check out on it and bounced back.

What I was saying was that people who thought they put the $800 check in their account that was good and would be honored and then wrote checks out on that money, will end up with their checks bouncing if they don’t have enough available funds in their account to cover the $800 deposit. Believe most banks charge a much higher fee than $12 for those type of checking fees. If several small checks bounce as a result of a bad deposit that checks were drawn against those fees can add up quickly. As I said I don’t think PG&E will reimburse those fees.

When PG&E filed for bankruptcy, part of the requirement is to shut off the financial system until the company goes in front of a judge. What PG&E forgot was that this would impact the processing of any checks, like these. As has been stated, they committed to getting new checks out as well as paying for the bank fees. Any checks deposited now should be processed successfully since the company has had the first session with the bankruptcy judge.

Contact PG&E as ask them.

Edited for grammar.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Received an email from PG&E this morning saying my application was approved and that I would receive a check soon. Not sure whether to deposit it or hold it for a few days. Hoping someone will post their positive experience before mine arrives in the mail. If the bank it is drawn on has a local branch, I will try to cash through them as was suggested.

How long did it take you guys to actually receive a check (good or bad) after you received the email stating your rebate was approved? I was approved the Friday (Jan 25) before they filed and haven't received anything. I am also wondering if this is all related.

Received an email from PG&E this morning saying my application was approved and that I would receive a check soon. Not sure whether to deposit it or hold it for a few days. Hoping someone will post their positive experience before mine arrives in the mail. If the bank it is drawn on has a local branch, I will try to cash through them as was suggested.
If my experience is anything, after getting the approval e-mail, you should be receiving your check in a few days, so you may be in a position to tell us if the checks are now good or not. ;)

I just looked up the image of up my rebate check from last year. The bank it's drawn from is The Bank Of New York Mellon Corporation.
They have 1 branch in San Francisco and 1 branch in Los Angeles.

• Informative
no need to panic, it's a common problem (or so I'm told by PG&E rep) due to the bankruptcy. apparently checks are not cashable until feb 4. so anyone who deposited their check before that date will get bounced.

to get this fixed, call 877-704-8723, tell them your check bounced, and they will ask for your pg&e account number. they will do a lot of typing and give you two confirmation numbers - one for the $800 that bounced, and one for the returned check fee that your bank most likely charged you.

for the $800, you will have to wait a few days for someone to call you for next steps.
for the returned check fee, you need to fax or mail in proof of the fee referencing "RTM Desk" (return to maker) and the confirmation number, and it will also be processed.

basically it's exactly like the email another member posted on page 1. so don't worry, you will get your money!

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and mociaf9
no need to panic, it's a common problem (or so I'm told by PG&E rep) due to the bankruptcy. apparently checks are not cashable until feb 4. so anyone who deposited their check before that date will get bounced.

to get this fixed, call 877-704-8723, tell them your check bounced, and they will ask for your pg&e account number. they will do a lot of typing and give you two confirmation numbers - one for the $800 that bounced, and one for the returned check fee that your bank most likely charged you.

for the $800, you will have to wait a few days for someone to call you for next steps.
for the returned check fee, you need to fax or mail in proof of the fee referencing "RTM Desk" (return to maker) and the confirmation number, and it will also be processed.

basically it's exactly like the email another member posted on page 1. so don't worry, you will get your money!

I just called my bank and had them reverse the check bounce charge. Pretty easy.
The bank also accepted the legal tender ( the rejection mail of your check, where it has a picture of the old check) and will deposit legal tender again. My bank said that if the release on the PGE account is lifted, the legal tender will work.