Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking 2020 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Experienced multiple episodes of phantom braking on an interstate highway. I was doing 75 with cruise on a straight stretch of interstate, around noon and no cars in front or back, when car began braking to about 45. I tried re-booting but it happened several more times. Tried disabling all safety features like collision avoidance but it continued to happen. Set up service but was told all my hardware was working correctly and that an over the air update would address this problem in the future. They also reminded me that cruise control was in beta testing. I never signed up to be a test dummy while Tesla debugged their products. Now I have had TA cruise on my last 4 cars over a period of 10 years. No excuse for this not to be fixed. This is dangerous and has been reported by many for a long time. Any suggestions from those that have had it fixed?

Reactions: selledr
On a very recent road trip from Lodi to Boise, I experienced phantom braking 12 times - sometimes on full AP and sometimes only on adaptive cruise control. The weird part is that it was on long stretches of I-80 from Truckee to Winnemucca and nothing out of the ordinary to cause it. Highway pavement and sage brush. It also happened on US 20 between Boise and Bend on the way home. Again, long stretches of nothing and it starts braking. In only two of the instances was there any traffic behind me and only once did the following card have to brake to avoid an accident. It has caused me to avoid using any part of AutoPilot because of this experience. Still love my Y but it shook me up a bit. Why hasn't this been fixed?

Experienced multiple episodes of phantom braking on an interstate highway. I was doing 75 with cruise on a straight stretch of interstate, around noon and no cars in front or back, when car began braking to about 45. I tried re-booting but it happened several more times. Tried disabling all safety features like collision avoidance but it continued to happen. Set up service but was told all my hardware was working correctly and that an over the air update would address this problem in the future. They also reminded me that cruise control was in beta testing. I never signed up to be a test dummy while Tesla debugged their products. Now I have had TA cruise on my last 4 cars over a period of 10 years. No excuse for this not to be fixed. This is dangerous and has been reported by many for a long time. Any suggestions from those that have had it fixed?
I was driving yesterday on Highway 550, a 4 lane in good repair, in NM. middle of the day, good weather. I was using the cruise control only and suddenly the car braked and also turned the wheel to the right. This happened twice in the same stretch of highway. The highway surface did appear a bit weird--almost "molten" in the area I was driving. On another stretch of this same highway, the car braked suddenly, seemingly in response to a stretch of heavy black marks, as if a semi had braked intensely and left alot of tire residue. ????? Otherwise the car handled well over several hours. I especially liked the handling on NM Highway 64,, which is extremely curvy and requires lowering of speed to 35 on some curves. Rather than braking, I used the speed adjustment wheel on the steering wheel to decrease and increase my speed. Felt more comfortable to me than braking all of the time.

I was driving my M3 on I-80 through Indiana over the weekend. It was early morning and I was driving east.

I was approaching a large clover leaf in the right lane. From the cloverleaf, a semi was entering the left lane. It seemed that as the shadow of the semi filled the pavement in front of me, the phantom braking was triggered.

The PB is dangerous (in both cruise control and AP). I'm starting to watch behind me when AP or cruise is engaged.

Joe

Reactions: zoomer0056
I was driving my M3 on I-80 through Indiana over the weekend. It was early morning and I was driving east.

I was approaching a large clover leaf in the right lane. From the cloverleaf, a semi was entering the left lane. It seemed that as the shadow of the semi filled the pavement in front of me, the phantom braking was triggered.

The PB is dangerous (in both cruise control and AP). I'm starting to watch behind me when AP or cruise is engaged.

Joe
Yup, my S PBed on a car that was parked out of my lane on the shoulder. 65mph with ubrupt braking. Happened also with a bicyclist totally in his lane on the shoulder. I learned what the AP was doing and could anticipate. However, I decided to never use it again because it is stupid and I don't want to make allowances while it's learning. It's much easier and more safe by not using AP TAAC.

On a cross county trip from KC to California, I experienced numerous PBs in eastern Kansas, a few in Colorado and Utah but none in California.

A Mobile Service Tech in Calif said that all the testing and development of the ADAS has been primarily in California and this leads to better performance out there. Not sure I buy completely into this but my experence says there maybe something to it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I think it is definitely a problem as the service tech described. The FSD beta is being turned to California. The road across the US are not the same. Some basic functions the FSD executes may be great in California, while illegal in Kentucky. For instance, on a 4 lane divided highway with a grass median, no lights of traffic for over ten miles, the car will continually signal and try to move over to the left lane for no reason (at least once every two miles), stating, "moving out of rightmost lane". If there are three lanes or more on my side of the road, this may be correct, but not when the left lane is the only passing lane. It is against the law in Kentucky to stay in the left (passing) lane for no reason. I have reported this to service, and keep reporting the video clips as an error while driving. No response from either, and no fix for a year now. I will eventually report this to NHTSA as a safety defect if it isn't corrected.

It is good they expanded FSD beta to a very large number of people, because it is not nearly ready for prime time, missing just basic drivability and legal requirements, while maybe making progress on some very complex driving issues. I wish they would work on getting the 95% basic driving correct first, and then take on the special cases. It is unusable in its current form in my state now.

This is really all you can do:

Came to this thread because I was curious if all the phantom braking issues that plague the M3 and MY also were present on the S. I guess so. I have ranted about it before, so I won't here, but something in the OP jumped out at me. More specifically, the insanity of it jumped out at me:
They also reminded me that cruise control was in beta testing.
If it weren't such a bad situation, this would be comical. "Cruise control" in beta. Something the most basic of vehicles has had for decades. Laughable. So much of this would be placated if we just had actual "dumb" cruise available, and could turn on TACC and Auto-steer optionally. Plenty of other vehicles also take this approach, where you can enable regular "keep X speed" cruise separately from using advanced "traffic aware" features. But again ... in those other vehicles they have other sensors to aid in the traffic "awareness." Ok... I guess I did rant. Apologies.

Not just "cruise control" in beta for many years, but auto wipers and auto high beams have been in beta since I got my car in June, 2020 -- for years. Nothing Tesla does is ever ready for widespread release as a finished product, and yet Musk wants to tout Tesla as a software company.
Also very good points. The wipers and the lights are also bad. There’s something “special” that triggers me about brakes slamming on with me doing anything though.

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave