Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking to be investigated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good because the current system is p!sh. I've in the region of 3-4 encounters with this 'phantom breaking' each week during my commute.

1100 mile round trip to Aberdeen and back last week and I gave up counting once I reached 20 incidents on the way up. It really is poor.

Reactions: Timcat
I don't have Phantom Braking because I gave up using TACC in anything other than either empty roads or queues. But I am pleased that they are investigating this. Note however the report says M3 and MY from 2021 - is there a difference to earlier cars? My M3 is 2020 delivery and probably a 2019 build.
I think pre 2021 used radar for TACC, and since 2021 - cameras only

the autopilot in general is perfect on motoray.

although all I really want is
a) be able to disbale the ding dongs completely (joey mode not quiet enough)
b) when I change lanes it re-enables automatically, like with any other lane assistant system on all other manufacturers.

ideally - a+b, but at least 1 thing, please.

I seriously doubt the wisdom of a vision only system.
Well, as discussed, none of us in the UK have driven one anyway...

I did check my car and it is possible to reduce the following distance down to 1, which I understand is how to check whether there is a radar unit or not. I also understand that radar cars can have the cruise speed set as high as 90mph, whereas Tesla Vision is limited to 80mph.
For now, this works to tell the difference, I believe. Tesla Vision minimum follow distance has apparently reduced from 3 to 2 via software updates since Tesla Vision cars started shipping, however, and it seems eminently plausible that in a future software release these differences might be eliminated.

It would be great to have a reliable way of distinguishing between radar-based and Tesla Vision vehicles, that isn't dependent on vagaries of autopilot that can change from release to release. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that one exists.

For now, though, it appears that Tesla Vision is limited to recent (no radar) cars in the US (and maybe Canada?). It hasn't yet, as far as I know, rolled out to any US cars that originally shipped with radar (except for the special case of cars that have opted in to FSD beta). My personal guess is that it will be deployed to the legacy (radar-equipped) North American fleet before they start to ship radarless Tesla Vision cars in other markets...

camera-only is known as Tesla Vision. As discussed in other posts, it's only in the US. All UK cars still use radar (at least, as far as anyone knows).
ok... but breaking is issued by camera - it notices something odd and brakes. i.e. on t-junction car is a bit more into the junction, and although stand still - car thinks that it is moving into junction and brakes. happened today

I guess it's because Tesla is always in the news, but how come the BMW i3 cruise control was never investigated for phantom braking?
My i3 is guaranteed to phantom brake on a motorway journey, so you have to cover the accelerator. Shadows, bridges, sun, rain... Oh and on a dual carriageway if there is a vehicle in a lay-by.
Welcome to camera only cruise control by MobilEye.

I guess it's because Tesla is always in the news, but how come the BMW i3 cruise control was never investigated for phantom braking?
My i3 is guaranteed to phantom brake on a motorway journey, so you have to cover the accelerator. Shadows, bridges, sun, rain... Oh and on a dual carriageway if there is a vehicle in a lay-by.
I drive an i3s for three years and thought it was just standard cruise control. Admittedly didn’t do a lot of miles in that time <9000 but never had a single ghost event.

I’d be happy with a standard non “intelligent” cruise portion on the M3. In my opinion fwiw, the sensors, the software and the British public on British roads are decades away from FSD/ EAP working properly.

Does the i3 rely on cameras alone? I ask because my last two BMWs had adaptive cruise and the system was essentially flawless, unlike the TACC in my M3.

The simple fact remains that Tesla have made outrageous claims for their system in the past, and not every Joe Public has kept up with their downgrades. Also opinion differs on what constitutes phantom braking. Those who have only experienced a 'bit of a slow down' don't think it matters. Those of us who have had the brakes slam on full at 70mph (for no obvious reason) had to throw their trousers away. Human reaction time can't beat a machine.

Reactions: Timcat and candida
Does the i3 rely on cameras alone? I ask because my last two BMWs had adaptive cruise and the system was essentially flawless, unlike the TACC in my M3.
The adaptive cruise, lane keeping and lane changing on my X3 has been flawless in the year I’ve had it. It once briefly started to phantom brake as I went past a lorry but it quickly sorted itself out before I could put my foot down to speed up again.

The adaptive cruise, lane keeping and lane changing on my X3 has been flawless in the year I’ve had it. It once briefly started to phantom brake as I went past a lorry but it quickly sorted itself out before I could put my foot down to speed up again.
Bmw lane assist was very good. I just wish that I didn't have to re-enable lane assist (aka auto pilot) every time I change lane..

Anyone knows the hack how to have it running all the time without purchasing enhanced autopilot?

Reactions: Timcat
interesting, thanks. I don’t think it’s engaging the friction brakes but when you have a warm battery, full regen is in effect stopping in the brakes.

I don’t think it’s anything like lorry speed limit signs and it’s happened a couple of times at exactly the same point, so I tend to just manual control through those sections.

Going across the top of Cambridge on the A14, in both directions. When going east bound it’s when the lane peals off to follow the A14 (rather than continue to the M11. West bound in a similar location, in the section between the science park and before the slip lane for the M11.

It happened yesterday on the M6 going north on the north side of Birmingham/Wolverhampton (sorry I can’t be more specific but it was before the miles current roadworks). The only thing I can think of is that those sections of road have been long term construction zones in the past with 50 limits.

When it’s happened it’s always been on a major trunk road, I don’t think it’s lorry’s as it’s done with with non in sight and their are not and side roads on these roads.

It’s just very ‘interesting’ when TACC decides to chop 20mph off your speed when you are in the outside lane with with traffic behind you.

As I said, the speed limit sign still read 70 and I’ve not noticed the nav drifting off onto any other roads (not that there are any).

Just a quick update on the TACC issues I mentioned. Last night, I was on the A14 east bound going across the top of Cambridge and the decided to cut the maximum speed on its own with no user intervention from me as I mentioned in my posts in this thread. It happened at exactly the same place as it did on the last time I went through this stretch of road. As I mentioned earlier, the speed limit symbol doesn't change but I watched the TACC speed cut dramatically on its own for no reason and you have to manually re-set the speed back to 70mph.

A couple of google maps pins of where it happened:

This one it went from 70 to 40 Girton · Girton, Cambridge CB3 0JN, UK

This one went from 70 to 30! 102 A14 · 102 A14, Milton, Cambridge, UK

As I mentioned earlier, the speed limit symbol doesn't change but I watched the TACC speed cut dramatically on its own for no reason and you have to manually re-set the speed back to 70mph.
The ID.3 ACC does the same thing. It could be out of date mapping info in the database from a temporary speed limit during roadworks, or just a glitch in the lat long & the car thinks it's on a different road entirely. There are a handful of spots my ID.3 will always slow down seemingly randomly.

2019 VW Tiguan Tech R. Phantom braked so much I stopped using adaptive cruise control and the worse thing is that stomping on the accelerator would take around ~1s to repond and a further 1s to start accelerating. It was too dangerous to use at motorway speeds. It had two replacement cameras in 12-months but it never went away. I sold it.

I love adaptive CC but it sounds as if I’ll get it with the MY. I can’t imagine that 354 complaints and no fatalities in the past nine months will make them doing anything. (According to one news website)

Last edited:
It's really not that bad. Actual phantom braking is realy a thing (literally stamping on the brakes at 70) but pretty rare even on these forums.. unexplained slowdowns more common due to shadows, lorries veering onto your lane, that kind of thing, more common but even then I've been up and down the country and despite the occasional WTF moment not something that's worried me.

That leaves mapping errors.. which depends where you are. I've not come across those recently and not sure they really count as phantom - they're completely predictable when you know where the error is.

Reactions: Undecided_2