Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking while using Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to report a sudden braking on my new Model 3 while driving on Highway 80 north this afternoon. Driving approximately 73 mph on autopilot in the middle lane. Moderate traffic at about 1:15 pm. Two other passengers in car. Cars behind. Nearest about 4 car lengths back. Suddenly, the car very, very sharply brakes. Cars behind must also brake hard. Take control. Move to side lane. Slow. Resumed manual driving. Could have caused a very bad accident. Passengers freaked! Need to have software checked. Can't be trusted until diagnosed! Where do I report this?

I want to report a sudden braking on my new Model 3 while driving on Highway 80 north this afternoon. Driving approximately 73 mph on autopilot in the middle lane. Moderate traffic at about 1:15 pm. Two other passengers in car. Cars behind. Nearest about 4 car lengths back. Suddenly, the car very, very sharply brakes. Cars behind must also brake hard. Take control. Move to side lane. Slow. Resumed manual driving. Could have caused a very bad accident. Passengers freaked! Need to have software checked. Can't be trusted until diagnosed! Where do I report this?

I’ve had several close calls similar to what you’re describing... Random braking events on clear stretches of freeway.
Another difficult situation I’ve had is when driving directly into blinding low altitude evening sun... my commute is due west in the evening. The car has a hard time reading the lanes and surrounding traffic. EAP has abruptly swerved into adjacent lanes and nearly hit other cars had I not regained control immediately.
These are not one time events either. I’ve found the system works well in MOST situations, but it’s certainly not fully baked and can be down right dangerous if used improperly.
It’s EAP, not FSD... not that it makes a faulty system any better, but you do need to be ready to take back manual control at any moment.

Last edited:
Can also depend if there's a lot of construction in the area. Not familiar with that stretch of road, but here in Houston 290 was expanded a lot, so a lot of the lanes are going over areas that used to be service roads and local roads. It results in autopilot wanting to slow down to 45-50 mph on sections because it thinks I'm trying to go 60+ on local roads. Pretty annoying.

Known issue - happened a few times on a road trip two months ago, in heavier traffic while driving underneath overpasses. Since then, when I approach an underpass I have my foot on the accelerator pedal and apply light pressure, just to the point where the car starts to recognize you're speeding up intentionally.

Hasn't happened again since - over 6000 miles later. I've read somewhere that Tesla is collecting information about specific bridges/areas (via bug report or otherwise) that the phantom braking occurs in order to study how to incorporate into Autopilot while still keeping aware. Not sure how much truth there is into that but hopefully they figure it out.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Frequent auto pilot user here. Happens all the time. I have gotten used to it by punching the go pedal. I do bug reports in all instances. I just got 36.2 and just like all other updates I wish it gets fixed. They have all been under bridges with exception of the last one about a week ago. One time my wife was in the car she freaked out and we got into a fight. She thought I was doing it on purpose!!
She says I need to go to driving school:(

Known issue - happened a few times on a road trip two months ago, in heavier traffic while driving underneath overpasses. Since then, when I approach an underpass I have my foot on the accelerator pedal and apply light pressure, just to the point where the car starts to recognize you're speeding up intentionally.

Hasn't happened again since - over 6000 miles later. I've read somewhere that Tesla is collecting information about specific bridges/areas (via bug report or otherwise) that the phantom braking occurs in order to study how to incorporate into Autopilot while still keeping aware. Not sure how much truth there is into that but hopefully they figure it out.
==