Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and here's a case where phantom braking actually caused an accident:

Yes, it doesn’t slam on the breaks. Keyword slam. Regen isn’t slamming on the breaks.

I’m not so stoned yet I can’t remember what I wrote.
but you're somewhat stoned?

see the above post(s) discussing 'slammed' Regardless you seemed to dismiss it as not true 'braking' because it used regenerative braking, not the physical brakes. (which is not 100% true, anyway)

Reactions: Stach
in fairness since they say they were "using the FSD to turn left at an intersection" i'm assuming they are talking about FSD beta.
but you're somewhat stoned?
FWIW i am more than somewhat stoned, you should give it a go it's great haha :)

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
Watching people in this thread day you shouldn't use cruise control unless it's interstate is the most cringe fanboy crap imaginable.

This was not a serious problem when Teslas had radar and now it is.

Trying to downplay it is ridiculous
Phantom breaking wasn’t a problem until six months ago? Broooooooooooooooolol. You need to read up on your forums dude.

People have been complaining about phantom breaking since Nixon was in office.

Elon even proclaimed getting rid of the Radar would squash phantom breaking….

Reactions: SalisburySam
and guess what…. The driver following is at fault. Why is s/he so close that there is no time to react? Or was s/he gambling?

Well you can modify what I wrote if you like, but what I said is it wasn’t slamming on da brakes man…
Ummm…I copy/pasted your posts directly. No modification necessary

Phantom breaking wasn’t a problem until six months ago? Broooooooooooooooolol. You need to read up on your forums dude.

People have been complaining about phantom breaking since Nixon was in office.

Elon even proclaimed getting rid of the Radar would squash phantom breaking….
I’ve had phantom braking since I purchased my MY 18 months ago. I don’t know the timeframe of software development, though. It’s possible that it’s gotten worse for some drivers when radar was disabled but that’s impossible for me to say.

Either way, it’s irrelevant. Tesla has a poor, buggy implementation of a feature that other carmakers have been using flawlessly for 10 years. Even if you try to claim that the car is intentionally slowing down as designed, the rate of deceleration is far too fast, causing stress, temporary panic and discomfort for the occupants in the car.

It is quite possible that the problem happens much less or much more mildly than I have been led to believe, but I am uncomfortable betting on it. I just received my M3, and I'm honestly afraid to engage TACC unless there is no one behind me. Needless to say, it won't be a quite as relaxing to have to monitor traffic behind me, but TACC will have to earn my trust before I feel comfortable using it.

To my knowledge, despite many many many years of the occasional person here screaming OMG THE PHANTOM BRAKING, there's been zero accidents caused by it.

If it was an actual significant widespread problem that actually caused accidents there'd be actual evidence of it by now.

Instead it's just a bunch of random anecdotes.... which are themselves self selecting because the vast majority for whom everything is fine are much less inclined to randomly make videos saying "Here's a drive where nothing happened" or even "Here's where the car slowed down slightly- it was surprising, but watching the video in retrospect, not actually dangerous to anyone" which is what is usually actually happening.

I do think the problem is fixable, but probably not in the way Tesla is trying to fix it today. I suspect Tesla plans to solve the problem by fixing FSD. As I understand it, they are using the FSD stack for TACC, so fixing FSD fixes TACC as a freebie.

You're confusing a few different things.

The public code is single stack.... and full AP (TACC plus autosteer) is only intended for use on divided highways with controlled access (ie no intersections, access is via on/off ramp). General TACC can be used most places without AS, though there are more wanrings/disclaimers for use off of highways (places with pedestrians/construction/etc).

The beta has a different stack for city streets driving, which includes quite different TACC behavior. It ONLY uses this stack for city driving, and drops back to the production stack on the highway.

Eventually the beta will use the city stack for everything, but not yet. And the public isn't using that stack for anything at all right now.

The alternative strategy would be for Tesla to write some procedural (non-neural) code to put guard rails on TACC and AEB

To my knowledge, the public stack does not use neural nets for anything other than perception. All decision making is still traditional code. So I'm unsure what you're really suggesting they do in that context.

and guess what…. The driver following is at fault. Why is s/he so close that there is no time to react? Or was s/he gambling?
My guess is he was understandably expecting the Tesla to continue through the intersection and was checking to make sure there were no cars coming as he entered the intersection. You fail to comprehend the difference between a car being at fault and who caused the accident. Randomly stopping for no apparent reason is dangerous behavior.

I like how half the people complaining clearly dont own a Tesla... "But all the youtube videos (that i searched for and watched) show phantom breaking so it must be the worst problem on earth!!!"
How many people on this thread don’t own a tesla? How many The tens to hundreds of phantom braking threads on TMC were started by people who don’t own a Tesla? And what’s the point of your post?

Reactions: Stach and 2101Guy
Ummm…I copy/pasted your posts directly. No modification necessary

Yea, and I never said it didn’t break at all. Then you claimed it “seemed like” I did. You can seemed like all you want but seemed like isn’t said.
I’ve had phantom braking since I purchased my MY 18 months ago. I don’t know the timeframe of software development, though. It’s possible that it’s gotten worse for some drivers when radar was disabled but that’s impossible for me to say.

Either way, it’s irrelevant. Tesla has a poor, buggy implementation of a feature that other carmakers have been using flawlessly for 10 years. Even if you try to claim that the car is intentionally slowing down as designed, the rate of deceleration is far too fast, causing stress, temporary panic and discomfort for the occupants in the car.

But it isn’t dangerous and most of the panic is caused by inattentiveness….

• Disagree
Reactions: Sporty and Stach
…and another thead.

But it isn’t dangerous and most of the panic is caused by inattentiveness….
Hardly. See previous posts. And the post I linked. Not sure how/why you keep trying to justify and explain away faulty behavior by the car.

Reactions: Sporty and Stach
…and another thead.

Hardly. See previous posts. And the post I linked. Not sure how/why you keep trying to justify and explain away faulty behavior by the car.
That link wasn’t even phantom breaking, it was a fault of the emergency breaking system; an extremely rare issue. I’m not explaining away any issues, I’m saying that they aren’t dangerous.

And I’m pretty sure his car has radar….

• Disagree
My guess is he was understandably expecting the Tesla to continue through the intersection and was checking to make sure there were no cars coming as he entered the intersection. You fail to comprehend the difference between a car being at fault and who caused the accident. Randomly stopping for no apparent reason is dangerous behavior.
Still he is at fault. A driver is NOT allowed to play predictive games based upon probability and stats

@hatch We are asking if the car is dangerous due to phantom breaking. On that question it doesn’t matter how you use the car.

My point with the inattentiveness is that it would be much more jarring for the car to let off the gas and have regen kick in if you weren’t paying attention, hence the over the top posts about the car slamming on the brakes.